Reason's Greetings

Peace

I wish I could nail SE Cupp, but she does a FINE job of nailing Frenkle and his ilk in this piece:

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/2010/12/29/2010-12-29_the_arrogance_of_the_atheists_they_batter_believers_with_smug_certainty.html

Great link, though admittedly because I happen to completely agree with her. This is precisely the problem with people like Maher and Frenkle, and whether it's her phrase or someone else's, the term "militant atheist" is spot on: it's easier and more mindless to mock than to discuss.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great link, though admittedly because I happen to completely agree with her. This is precisely the problem with people like Maher and Frenkle, and whether it's her phrase or someone else's, the term "militant atheist" is spot on: it's easier and more mindless to mock than to discuss.

And thus the reason why most atheists are completely hypocrites and full of ****.

They critique the faithful for thier "close-minded intolerance" yet practice it, themselves in spades.

Its one thing to blast a religous kook burning a Koran or a holy warrior stapping a bomb on his chest. But no....even the little old lady who minds her own business, prays the Rosary every morning and whose sole "effort to spread her views" is saying "God Bless You" if you do something nice for her is a "nutjob rube" who is to be laughed at and mocked...and worse, outcast by the intelligencia.

Id have a SHITLOAD more respect for atheists like Frenkle and thier opinions if they could see this difference and maybe spent more time having an open discussion about their points of view. But no...instead ALLLL the faithful get mocked and cast into the same bucket, while the "enlightened" spend time making pictures of plates of spaghetti with googly eyes and legs.

Edited by RkFast

And thus the reason why most atheists are completely hypocrites and full of ****.

Thereby implying that most athiests are militant. Thereby making the term "militant athiest" redundant.

When really, the root of intolerance isn't athiesm, it's militancy. Militant Christians, Muslims, feminists, white supremacists, etc., are also intolerant.

They critique the faithful for thier "close-minded intolerance" yet practice it, themselves in spades.

Its one thing to blast a religous kook burning a Koran or a holy warrior stapping a bomb on his chest. But no....even the little old lady who minds her own business, prays the Rosary every morning and whose sole "effort to spread her views" is saying "God Bless You" if you do something nice for her is a "nutjob rube" who is to be laughed at and mocked...and worse, outcast by the intelligencia.

Id have a SHITLOAD more respect for atheists like Frenkle and thier opinions if they could see this difference and maybe spent more time having an open discussion about their points of view. But no...instead ALLLL the faithful get mocked and cast into the same bucket, while the "enlightened" spend time making pictures of plates of spaghetti with googly eyes and legs.

of course all the atheists who don't profess their atheism would be unknown to you, but you know about most atheists how- psychic? God tells you? by their unattendance at religious gathering?

little old ladies abused!!! so you experienced this? give some details, Times, places, words spoken,actions taken- I mean God knows I've done it, (once I was going up to Middleport in bad weather and there was this little old lady at the side of the road with a flat tire- I change he tire and put on her spare- when I was done I came to her window to tell her she was all set and she had the nerve to say "thank you, god bless you" I was so incensed I told her to wait a minute and I took off her spare and put her flat tire back on-then I gave her a lecture on the evils of religion and sped off.)

I wish I could nail SE Cupp, but she does a FINE job of nailing Frenkle and his ilk in this piece:

http://www.nydailyne..._certainty.html

Yawn...how boring. Atheistic arrogance in no way validates religious dogma, not even a little bit.

But that sure was a nice soft, fluffy puffy piece of feel-good meaningless opinion. Sorry if I interrupted your "Inner Spiritual Journey". :rolleyes:

Thereby implying that most athiests are militant. Thereby making the term "militant athiest" redundant.

When really, the root of intolerance isn't athiesm, it's militancy. Militant Christians, Muslims, feminists, white supremacists, etc., are also intolerant.

Agreed. I should have done a better job differentiating the two (militant/normal).

Yawn...how boring. Atheistic arrogance in no way validates religious dogma, not even a little bit.

But that sure was a nice soft, fluffy puffy piece of feel-good meaningless opinion. Sorry if I interrupted your "Inner Spiritual Journey". :rolleyes:

Athiests and religious folk arguing about who's arrogance validates the other more?

What a complete waste of !@#$ing time.

And with that last, bolded line you proved Cupp's (and my) point PERFECTLY.

Thank you.

Ill be praying for you.

And just to quote my signature one more time for emphasis:

Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus.

-Thomas Jefferson

And with that last, bolded line you proved Cupp's (and my) point PERFECTLY.

Thank you.

Ill be praying for you.

And your point is what? That I'm arrogant about it, militant even? Nothing gets past you, does it? It's a a bunch of fluffy crap to me. Nice job proving...nothing!

All of it makes little sense to me. Why can't people believe what makes them happy and just be good to each other without interfering with what anyone else believes. There would be a lot less conflict....

I'm not going to completely get sucked into this again, but to your question: it's the nature of the beast. The difference is (nowadays at lest) that even militant atheists don't blow themselves up in the middle of a crowd so they can get their 72 virgins, or get away with the systemic rape of school children in while hiding behind the veil of Jesus. But they may trample on your feelings for time to time. Oh !@#$ing well...

And your point is what? That I'm arrogant about it, militant even? Nothing gets past you, does it? It's a a bunch of fluffy crap to me. Nice job proving...nothing!

I'm not going to completely get sucked into this again, but to your question: it's the nature of the beast. The difference is (nowadays at lest) that even militant atheists don't blow themselves up in the middle of a crowd so they can get their 72 virgins, or get away with the systemic rape of school children in while hiding behind the veil of Jesus. But they may trample on your feelings for time to time. Oh !@#$ing well...

RK is hilarious he seems to spend most of his time looking to be offended- and as the Bible says "seek and ye shall find"

Your chosen tactic doesnt make your intolerance and ignorance any less reprehensible.

You think youre "better" becuase you dont kill innocent people? Thats a pretty low bar to set.

Edited by RkFast

Militancy's okay when atheists like Gene do it.

I will admit...Gene's militancy and views on this have made me look inside and Im softening my stance on Muslims, as was on full display in the NYC Mosque thread.

Militant absolutist views suck, regardless of the subject.

Edited by RkFast

I will admit...Gene's militancy and views on this have made me look inside and Im softening my stance on Muslims, as was on full display in the NYC Mosque thread.

Right, I'm the bad guy. Guess it's working. :)

Congratulations. I was preparing a missive on the fallacy (very common, in fact) of stating "I hate <adjective> <noun>", and then thinking you hate <noun> when you really hate <adjective>. It was going point out that in hating militant Islam and militant athiesm you don't actually hate Islam or athiesm, you hate militancy. And then I was going to call you an complete idiot.

So congratulations on being the first person in the history of the board to be affirmatively recognized as NOT being a complete idiot. (I do, however, reserve the right to call you a partial idiot at some future point in this thread.)

Right, I'm the bad guy. Guess it's working. :)

No, you're an arrogant elitist who's arguing that his fluffy crap is better than someone else's fluffy crap. Even worse, you're a completely transparent hypocrite about it, because you think your fluffy crap means you're above arguing who's fluffy crap is better.

News flash: I don't share Rk's beliefs any more than you do. The difference between you and me is that I'm not an evangelist about it. He's welcome to his fluffy crap, as far as I'm concerned. None of my business.

Why thank you, Tom!

Wow...I feel so warm inside :)

I acutally saw it coming. I said to myself..."how I can go off on Gene when I harbor the same types of beliefs on a seperate (but somewhat related) subject?" It doesnt jibe.

Edited by RkFast