Wine Aerators do they work

Hammered a Lot

If you have one and use it which one?

Do you use it on all you wine or just on cheap wine to make it taste better?

I use it on my more expensive wine. It's actually a funnel type thing that fits on top of my decanter. I've only "used" the bottle top ones at wineries. Wine does need to breathe. It exposes it to the air which brings out the aromas of the wine, which in my mind is the best part about drinking wine. You can do this simply by swirling the wine in a glass. That is the same as using an aerator. The best way to allow a wine to breathe is to just use a decanter. But I would recommend you open a bottle of wine and taste it right away. Then let it breath for 5 minutes and taste it. Then another 5 minutes, and 5 more etc. etc. You'll notice the difference in taste and if it's been aged for awhile you also notice a change in color. Wine tasting is a blast. I went wine tasting with a friend in the Finger Lakes when I was there this summer. She said "you know a lot about wine." I told her it's taken years and years of research. :D

I use it on my more expensive wine. It's actually a funnel type thing that fits on top of my decanter. I've only "used" the bottle top ones at wineries. Wine does need to breathe. It exposes it to the air which brings out the aromas of the wine, which in my mind is the best part about drinking wine. You can do this simply by swirling the wine in a glass. That is the same as using an aerator. The best way to allow a wine to breathe is to just use a decanter. But I would recommend you open a bottle of wine and taste it right away. Then let it breath for 5 minutes and taste it. Then another 5 minutes, and 5 more etc. etc. You'll notice the difference in taste and if it's been aged for awhile you also notice a change in color. Wine tasting is a blast. I went wine tasting with a friend in the Finger Lakes when I was there this summer. She said "you know a lot about wine." I told her it's taken years and years of research. :D

Agree on all points.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Right on.

I don't know what you mean by expensive Chef..but i digress. We have the one thats made by Venturi and i use it quite often, even on the stuff we drink every day. Our go to everyday bottle is Duckhorn Decoy or Taits BallBuster..both $14-$17 a botlle, and yes they make a difference even with these non-expensive wines. With more expensive wines I actually prefer to decant still.

We have even done blind taste tests with other couples when they come over, and it's almost 100% that they prefer the wine the comes thru that thing. Having said that, a chit wine stilll gunna be a chit wine.

This is the one we have

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=vinturi+wine+aerator&tag=googhydr-20&index=garden&hvadid=7878509149&ref=pd_sl_87yby35dw9_e

BTW, for me the bigger key was finding a way to keep the wine in as best condition as possible over night. We have this and it really does help, has paid for itself many times over

http://www.vacuvin.nl/Vacuum_Wine_Saver_286_270_267.html

Edited by plenzmd1

I don't know what you mean by expensive Chef..but i digress. We have the one thats made by Venturi and i use it quite often, even on the stuff we drink every day. Our go to everyday bottle is Duckhorn Decoy or Taits BallBuster..both $14-$17 a botlle, and yes they make a difference even with these non-expensive wines. With more expensive wines I actually prefer to decant still.

We have even done blind taste tests with other couples when they come over, and it's almost 100% that they prefer the wine the comes thru that thing. Having said that, a chit wine stilll gunna be a chit wine.

This is the one we have

http://www.amazon.co...sl_87yby35dw9_e

BTW, for me the bigger key was finding a way to keep the wine in as best condition as possible over night. We have this and it really does help, has paid for itself many times over

http://www.vacuvin.n...86_270_267.html

I just re-read my post and I probably should have meant I use my decanter of wines I've aged, not necessarily expensive wine.

While I will decant a very big tight red wine (like an Amarone for example), I actually like the "mouth to mouth" method of letting my wines breathe. I will open a bottle and pour a bit in a couple of glasses (this increases the surface area...in the glasses and the bottle) and sip it while it is still tight. Then I get to taste how the wine changes as it breathes. Sometimes, I even prefer the taste of the wine before it has had a chance to breathe. Even when that isn't the case, I find the changes flavorful and interesting.

To the point of your question, you might like this piece.

http://www.norcalwine.com/index.php/blog/51-general-interest/157-do-wine-aerators-work-a-are-they-worth-the-money

The author does a little experiment (fairly poorly constructed, but interesting nonetheless) testing different wines and different methods of aeration.

Huh? I thought you where a Bradors type of guy. Been watching reruns of Fraser? Just drink the stuff!

Once in a while I enjoy some whiskey in my water, sugar in my tea, or some Finger Lakes Thirst Owl, Snow Owl or their Diamond. I'm more of a fruity white wine drinker. My wife likes the dryies, red or white.

Edited by Hammered a Lot