Airport INsecurity

truth on hold

The issue I'd have with going public, is the airline itself has been good to me over the years. When I contacted their lost and found, they indicated they've been having a lot of problems with the Newark airport, and part of this stems from the baggage handlers working for the airport and not the airline. Again, this airport is in the heart of Jets country, literally a mile or two from the stadium as the crow flies ...

Typical pass the buck - they don't work for us, they work for the airport. Yes, they understand the issue and they're sorry, but the net net is that they don't have to pay for it and as a result they don't fix it - you get to pound sand and eat a grand on a camcorder unless your homeowners insurance wants to jump in and save you from eating the whole thing. You can't sue anybody becasue their liability is strictly limited so this stuff goes on in perpetuity - it's been going on for decades and nobody ever does anything about it except learn to assume their stuff is going to get jacked and avoid checking it.

Remember that story of that guy at the Phoenix airport last year? They found him taking a bag and were able to nail him. When they got to his house the guy had literally thousands of bag that he had stolen over time - probably YEARS - nobody ever caught up with him because nobody but the indivual flers involved were ever negatively impacted. Sickening.

Dirtbag in Phoenix

I haven't been a victim of this like you have - can't imagine how fired up I'd be. As it is I'm getting worked up just thinking about how long this has gone on with nobody looking out for the traveling public - you have to fly and you have to leave your bags so you're stuck - sure would be nice if someone did their job and protected it instead of helping themselves.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

by your thinking, the perpetrator is always absolved; it's not the rapists fault, it's the woman's for wearing a skirt when she should have worn a burka. Nice work fella ..

Given the efficiency with which they tore thru my stuff, Im quite sure they were multliple repeat offenders in my case too. And it's even worse in my case because they actually work for the airport!!! why have they not been identified, arrested and banned from this type of employment yet?

And beyond the theft aspect, I feel there's a broader responsibility to make this public from an anti-terror perspective due to the opportunity these low life scumbags have to influence what ends up in baggage compartments.

Sadly it's a pretty simple equation. Nobody (airport/airlines) is held legally responsible - at most they pay a small percentage of what got stolen and you either can't sue them because they are legally restricted in their reponsibility or it would be cost prohibitive to go after them in court. They hire dirtbags to handle your bags because they are cheap and you don't exactly get community pillars and Rhodes scholars to lug bags in the cold for $9/hour - they hire ex-cons and people who have "ins" with current baggage handlers, so it goes on and on with no incentive to change it. Oh, and nobody wants the bad press about their employees getting busted for theft.

Why are the baggage handlers even looking in the suitcase to know that there's wrapped gifts in there?

Because they can, and they get some really nice merchandise for free when they do look.......

Sadly it's a pretty simple equation. Nobody (airport/airlines) is held legally responsible - at most they pay a small percentage of what got stolen and you either can't sue them because they are legally restricted in their reponsibility or it would be cost prohibitive to go after them in court. They hire dirtbags to handle your bags because they are cheap and you don't exactly get community pillars and Rhodes scholars to lug bags in the cold for $9/hour - they hire ex-cons and people who have "ins" with current baggage handlers, so it goes on and on with no incentive to change it. Oh, and nobody wants the bad press about their employees getting busted for theft.

Because they can, and they get some really nice merchandise for free when they do look.......

So how is it the airlines/airports are held to a much lower standard than UPS?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

So how is it the airlines are held to a much lower standard than UPS?

It's called the FAA, and they have as a mission the promotion of commercial aviation that often comes into direct conflict with what people would expect out of a government agency that is also charged with protecting the flying public - things like flight safety, for example. Baggage is so low on their list of things to protect, especially if it will add cost to the airlines, it's not even funny.

Typical pass the buck - they don't work for us, they work for the airport.

The airline might have a point in this case though. Without saying who it is, they're one of the most respected in the world. I could see a situation where they're stuck having to use locals in Newark, and the local authorities doing f#%k all about the problem. They know the airline is on the hook, and it's not an issue for their city proper, so they don't care. But somebody like the TSA should have oversight here. Like I said earlier, it goes beyond theft and speaks directly to flight safety.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Here's a piece about airport theft, focusing on the TSA actually. It is a couple of years old.

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettravel/2008/05/items_stolen_from_checked_bags.html

If you think you've been robbed of electronics and jewelry, is there anything else you can do?

Yes, you should call the airport's law enforcement office at both your departure airport and your arrival airport, filing reports for stolen goods. You can find the phone numbers by calling each airport's main line and asking the operator to speak to the office that handles airport law enforcement.

The airline might have a point in this case though. Without saying who it is, they're one of the most respected in the world. I could see a situation where they're stuck having to use locals in Newark, and the local authorities doing f#%k all about the problem. They know the airline is on the hook, and it's not an issue for their city proper, so they don't care. But somebody like the TSA should have oversight here. Like I said earlier, it goes beyond theft and speaks directly to flight safety.

Yes, but if you look at the fine print of the luggage liability rules for your carrier (the FAA allows the airlines to make their own rules on liability), you'll see that almost all carriers specifically exclude liability for lost electronics, computers, jewelry and cash so they will eventually tell you you're S.O.L. ad they aren't giving you anything fo rthe theft.

TSA's directly concerned with screening what gets onto an airline - they could give a rat's butt about stolen luggage - not their problem. To them it's not a safety issue.

I'd look for some beat writers at the New Jersey, Philly, and New York area papers, and e-mail them what happened, and suggest that a story is there.

Wouldn't worry about the airline; if the story makes some noise, the airline will probably cut you a check in 30 seconds, and give you 3000 miles.

Honestly, this is the kind of story that might do some good, and prompt some change. Absolutely ridiculous what happened to you.

Sadly I don't think this qualifies as very unique - people get their stuff ripped off from their bags every day. I think people for the most part know that valuables get stolen from bags when nobody is around to look after them.

Sadly I don't think this qualifies as very unique - people get their stuff ripped off from their bags every day. I think people for the most part know that valuables get stolen from bags when nobody is around to look after them.

I remember seeing an expose' on this years ago ... maybe 60 minutes or something. They had guys on under cover tape, and also whistle blowers. Figured it had been cleaned up since then. Boy was I wrong.

Could someone tell me why exactly my posts in here (not the first one) got deleted/removed? I just don't get it....

Looks like my response to yours, and another, are gone too. I don't get it, either.

what did the posts say?

Basically said the poster or anyone for that matter that puts wrapped presents in checked bags is an idiot, and that instead of looking for the airline to pay for thier stupidity they should look in the mirror since the problem is right in front of them.

But it was much better and laced with good sarcasm......:D

Basically said the poster or anyone for that matter that puts wrapped presents in checked bags is an idiot, and that instead of looking for the airline to pay for thier stupidity they should look in the mirror since the problem is right in front of them.

But it was much better and laced with good sarcasm......:D

And my response was something along the lines of:

While it may be stupid to bring wrapped presents in check on bags, that doesn't excuse what happened on the Airline's/Airport's watch. If they aren't liable for theft, there is no incentive for them to prevent it. Also, I think the wrapping is completely irrelevant here. Would it be a different story if an unwrapped camera was stolen? Of course the Airport or Airline should be liable here.

I'd also like to paraphrase another poster who was shocked a member of law enforcement would blame the victim of the crime. I'm not that shocked, but still find it a bit reprehensible.

And my response was something along the lines of:

While it may be stupid to bring wrapped presents in check on bags, that doesn't excuse what happened on the Airline's/Airport's watch. If they aren't liable for theft, there is no incentive for them to prevent it. Also, I think the wrapping is completely irrelevant here. Would it be a different story if an unwrapped camera was stolen? Of course the Airport or Airline should be liable here.

I'd also like to paraphrase another poster who was shocked a member of law enforcement would blame the victim of the crime. I'm not that shocked, but still find it a bit reprehensible.

I guess I was saying, why is this the airlines fault? Find the throwers, or TSA people who stole the stuff and prosecute them. Don't however make the airline pay for it.

Again, my earlier post was admitantly laced with good Sarcasm.

I believe there was a Festivus reference as well.

I guess I was saying, why is this the airlines fault? Find the throwers, or TSA people who stole the stuff and prosecute them. Don't however make the airline pay for it.

It's the airline's fault because they're the company you deal with and in essence it was their subcontractors who were the ones who stole from the luggage.

And you have proof of this?

Proof of what....? :unsure:

Yes, I have proof that I pay the airline for a ticket to get from point A to point B, the airline employee takes my bag and makes sure it gets to my destination. Whatever happens after the fact doesn't matter to me as a customer, because I have already entrusted the airline with my bag.

As I said, "in essence, they subcontract."

Legally binding? Who knows until you take 'em to court. But that's how it is from a logical perspective.

Proof of what....? :unsure:

Yes, I have proof that I pay the airline for a ticket to get from point A to point B, the airline employee takes my bag and makes sure it gets to my destination. Whatever happens after the fact doesn't matter to me as a customer, because I have already entrusted the airline with my bag.

As I said, "in essence, they subcontract."

Legally binding? Who knows until you take 'em to court. But that's how it is from a logical perspective.

Essentially, here is the difference between the way I see things, and the way you and the OP see things.

I am fully ready to take responsibility for my actions. If I do something stupid (like putting wrapped presents or expensive items in my checked luggage) then I am willing to accept responsibility for my stupidity and not TRY TO BLAME SOMEONE ELSE when they get stolen. The OP should have known not to put these items in his checked luggage. If the perpetrator can be identified, then have them arrested/prosecuted but don't expect the airlines to pay or talk about running to the media to have them run a story on theft from luggage. Like they don't know about it, and that the rest of america might be shocked....

To qoute from Casablanca

"I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here."