Airport INsecurity

truth on hold

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would seriously consider e-mailing this story to a bunch of newspapers to see if it will be picked up by anyone. This is the kind of story that a lot papers will run with, and it might give you some leverage in getting your money back.

And with people traveling this week with presents, it's the perfect time for an article about it.

Can you still use a lock on your luggage? My dad traveled a lot and would you zip ties to hold his zippers together, is that still ok? What is the new thing to do with laptops? Do you have to turn them on or anything? Can you xray them? I am not going to let this get at all away from me and will carry it in my backpack with my Sirius radio, batteries and such.

You can buy "TSA Approved" locks, usually find them in the luggage section of your local department store. TSA workers are supposed to have keys to open them. When they first came out though there were news reports of them being cut off. I've never had that problem though.

For your electronics, when I went to Australia and China, I only packed my clothes and toiletries in my checked bags. All my electronics (laptop, camera, DVD player) and their cables/chargers/etc went into a padded backpack I had. I only had to remove my laptop as others have mentioned, and only once was I questioned what was in my bag, (screener asked if I had a DVD player in there) but no one every asked to search my bag or turn anything on. This was back in 2007.

Isn't it pretty expensive though?

I would imagine how much you are sending, and how fast you need delivery (as well as what airline you fly). Some airlines now charge for the EVERY bag, including the first one. The charge can be $25/per or more depending on the size and weight.

I've always found FedEx ground pretty reasonable.

For others travelling, it's really easy to ship your stuff ahead. Much more secure (and insurable) than checking bags.

I've been doing this more and more when I travel.

Isn't it pretty expensive though?

I depends on where you go. I'm lucky here in the Cuse that I have both a FedEx and UPS terminal that I can ship out of instead of using one of the storefront places that adds onto the standard shipping charge. There's also the Post Office "if it fits, it ships".

You're not supposed to lock your checked luggage. Most of the times they'll ask. I never lock mine, but I assume they'd want you to unlock it or, as SpillerTime said, they'll unlock it (i.e. cut it open) for you. So, I wouldn't zip tie it. My strong suggestion, as a very frequent flyer and one that checks his luggage, don't put anything in the checked luggage that's of high value. Camcorders, laptops, etc. The baggage handlers are not at all trustworthy, as Joe6pack just found out. (Sorry, Joe, but my guess is the baggage handlers; not TSA as this kind of crap has been going on long before TSA was even initial that meant something.) If you have presents, don't wrap them, and carry them on (or FedEx./mail them).

Laptops are not a problem. Put it in your carry on. They'll make you take it out and put it in a separate bin/bus pan to go through the xray, but you don't have to turn it on or anything. It's really a non issue. They'll probably want you to put your sirius radio in a separate bin as well. Again, no biggie. But, they really key in on electronics for whatever reason.

The best way to get through security is travel light and just do what they ask. I always check a bag just so I go through security light and I don't have to deal with my shaving lotion being too big or anything like that. Plus it just makes getting through security a breeze. Plan to take your shoes off - no matter what kind they are. I usually put my watch, cell phone, ipod, etc. in my jacket pockets; that way I can just take my jacket off and put it in a bin and all my stuff is easier to keep track of. Otherwise, it's really common sense and do whatever they ask you to do - its easier and quicker than arguing. Pick a security line without a bunch of kids if at all possible.

My suggestion on going through security is to wear sneakers, warmup pants or something that does not need a belt, and a tee shirt / long sleeve shirt. No Metal!! If you want to look nice (other than above) at your destination put it in a carry-on and change after going through security.

And with people traveling this week with presents, it's the perfect time for an article about it.

I can see the headlines now..."Want to get felt up and robbed? Just go to your nearest airport"

On a serious note, this is a great idea and it would definately give you a little leverage and help others. It is kind of amazing and shocking <_< to me that there are places in airports that go unmonitored mostly becuase of the new TSA junk-feeling procedures.

Hope things work out for you....

Not to Hijack this thread, but I am concerned after reading this threat about something like this happened; I will be flying for the first time in about 8 years in a few weeks. Can you still use a lock on your luggage? My dad traveled a lot and would you zip ties to hold his zippers together, is that still ok? What is the new thing to do with laptops? Do you have to turn them on or anything? Can you xray them? I am not going to let this get at all away from me and will carry it in my backpack with my Sirius radio, batteries and such.

Any tips on making it an easier travel? I will be flying Charlotte to Houston.

Oh, and what about the body scanner/groping?

Traveling tip at the CLT airport: After you check your bags and have your boarding pass, go to the security check point to the far left (D/E?) It's always the shortest security line. Usually there's no wait, but since this is the holidays, there will probably be a slight delay but still way better than the other more crowded lines for US Airways. Once you're in the terminal, you can easily get to your gate.

/The more you know.

Sorry to hear that Joe. I agree with taking some pictures of teh opened packages (if possible) and start spreading this around on the net. People love to pick up on stuff like this and the airline deserves to be embarrassed.

For Jboyst and anyone else traveling, an important holiday tip: ship everything (via UPS/Fedex) that you would normally pack/check instead of carrying it with you. I do this every year I go back to Buffalo and it rules because 1. You dont have to carry anything through the airports, 2. You can even insure your packages just in case, 3. UPS doesnt have scumbags that go through your packages.

takes forever and costs a fortune

Neither of those statements is true. I ship at least weekly to Korea, Japan, India, and China. Most of what I ship is 15-20 lb packages and gets there in 3-4 days. Less than $100 for a 25lb package.

Neither of those statements is true. I ship at least weekly to Korea, Japan, India, and China. Most of what I ship is 15-20 lb packages and gets there in 3-4 days. Less than $100 for a 25lb package.

Stuff I had needed to arrive with me and it was't all together until the day I left. Also, I do consider tacking on another $100 to an already costly flight outrageous. Bottom line: airports shouldn't have handlers that blatantly tear thru 15 wrapped, unopened packages in checked baggage.

Stuff I had needed to arrive with me and it was't all together until the day I left. Also, I do consider tacking on another $100 to an already costly flight outrageous. Bottom line: airports shouldn't have handlers that blatantly tear thru 15 wrapped, unopened packages in checked baggage.

$100 for shipping is cheaper than having to replace everything that was stolen.

Agreed that they shouldnt have such people working there, but the fact is they do.

Pay for shipping, or pay for replacing the items. Id rather pay for shipping and keep the scumbags out of my stuff.

I can see the headlines now..."Want to get felt up and robbed? Just go to your nearest airport"

On a serious note, this is a great idea and it would definately give you a little leverage and help others. It is kind of amazing and shocking <_< to me that there are places in airports that go unmonitored mostly becuase of the new TSA junk-feeling procedures.

Hope things work out for you....

The issue I'd have with going public (although Im seriously considering it), is the airline itself has been good to me over the years. When I contacted their lost and found they seemed amenable to reimbursing me and Emailed me a claim form. They indicated they've been having a lot of problems with the Newark airport, and part of this stems from the baggage handlers working for the airport and not the airline. Again, this airport is in the heart of Jets country, literally a mile or two from the stadium as the crow flies ...

If I decide to go public, what should I do? Send an Email to various news sources?

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack