Lombardi

Wooderson

I finally got to finish this........I'm wondering about the Ice Bowl. The Packers called their last time out with 16 seconds left and them on the one yard line, down three. Was it crazy to not try a pass play and then kick the field goal to tie it and send it to OT, instead of the all or nothing QB sneak?

if i'm remembering correctly, lombardi just wanted to end the game since the conditions were so brutal. he wasn't sure his team could endure overtime.

i'm guessing that running the ball helped green bay since (as you noted), a pass play seems farm more likely in that situation.

i'm not sure if they mention it in the documentary, but you'll notice that chuck mercein (green bay's fullback) appears to be be making the "touchdown" signal with his arms in the famous shots of starr going in for the score. in truth, mercein had his arms up in the air because he didn't want the officials to think he was pushing starr into the endzone (which would have been a penalty).

here's the pic: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8t59jorH2DM/Rze5V8PQwEI/AAAAAAAABHw/blkyDHPSKQU/s400/Green+Bay+1967+Ice+Bowl.jpg

That is an outstanding book and a must read for hardcore football fans. One of the things I remember in the book is when Lombardi was coaching HS in NJ, he kept pushing his teams, but it took him time to realize his talent was not of the caliber it took to win like he wanted to. Coaching is one of those things you need to be an amateur psychologist to know when to do what and Lombardi mastered it. Kinda think that's what Gailey was alluding to after the Minnesota game.

I just finished "When Pride Still Mattered" about a month ago and I simply couldn't put the book down. The book gives you a great overview of Lombardi's life to include the dysfunctional relationship with his family and the painful decision to leave the Pack and start anew with the Redskins. This book represents one of the best biographies I've ever read.

I finally got to finish this........I'm wondering about the Ice Bowl. The Packers called their last time out with 16 seconds left and them on the one yard line, down three. Was it crazy to not try a pass play and then kick the field goal to tie it and send it to OT, instead of the all or nothing QB sneak?

I thought I remembered hearing something about how badly Green Bay was pass protecting and Dallas was basically destroying them in the trenches because of the bad footing and icy conditions.