ESPN: Clements out; Weiss top candidate

otterpops

I'm just wonder, how BAD was Clements' interview? :(

156136[/snapback]

My feeling was that Notre Dame really wanted Clements to be their man. But there was an article in the Buff News that said the Bills media wasn't too hot on Clements because he wasn't accessible to them. They didn't say he was a bad guy, or a jerk about it, as some coaches are, but rather that he much preferred to just do his job and not waste time speaking to them, and/or simply wasn't comfortable. The unknown, to me, was whether that was really the kind of guy he was, or whether he COULD do the schmoozing if he wanted to, he just preferred not to. The ND head job is a lot of public exposure and PR and obviously recruiting. If Clements didnt have that side to him, or had to manufacture it, he simply wasn't a good candidate personality-wise for that job, regardless of whether he woud make a good coach on the field. It is my belief that he just isn't an outwardly friendly and media savvy and media friendly guy, and just isn't comfortable doing it, and the ND people saw it by his answers. That doesn't mean he gave a bad interview, it just means he may not be the right kind of personality for that job.

My feeling was that Notre Dame really wanted Clements to be their man.

156146[/snapback]

I had almost the opposite feeling. Clements might be great guy, ND alum, etc, but he's never been a head coach at any level, and has only 3/4 of one year in a coordinator spot.

I wouldn't quite call it a "courtesy" interview, but I'm sure ND was looking for more experience. I wouldn't be suprised if he actually gets the job sometime in the future.

I had almost the opposite feeling.  Clements might be great guy, ND alum, etc, but he's never been a head coach at any level, and has only 3/4 of one year in a coordinator spot.

I wouldn't quite call it a "courtesy" interview, but I'm sure ND was looking for more experience.  I wouldn't be suprised if he actually gets the job sometime in the future.

156163[/snapback]

What I meant by I thought they wanted him to be their man was that he was kind of an ND golden boy: QB of undefeated National Championship, Law Grad, MVP in CFL, coached under Lou Holtz, good family man, upstanding citizen, no baggage, everyone that knows him loves him, known as being young and smart and innovative and successful at everything he does, etc. I wasn't talking about his credentials as a head coach. i think if he wowed them with his personality and they thought he recruit and make ND look good he would have been hired or a serious contender.

Professionally speaking, why would you hire Clements over Weiss?? Wouldn't make any sense......especially given the controversy over firing Willingham......bringing in the offensive coordinator from the NFL world champs helps to deflect that a little.......more than bringing in Clements.

A bird in the hand...

156193[/snapback]

Well from what I have been reading in the Sporting News, teams are regretting not waiting until after the Super Bowl in making their Head Coaching picks....I would think that Weiss and Crennel want to be in the NFL, not college.

Well from what I have been reading in the Sporting News, teams are regretting not waiting until after the Super Bowl in making their Head Coaching picks....I would think that Weiss and Crennel want to be in the NFL, not college.

I'm sure they'd rather be HC's in the NFL than college. However what teams (I'm assuming from this year) have said they wished they waited until after the SB? I doubt it's more than a couple, and that leaves (typically) several other teams who DO choose their HC's prior to the SB, and thus have the pick of the best assistant coaches. I think that Weis (and Crennel) are expecting to go to the SB and think they'll be short-changed again (although I think the Pats aren't making the SB since they face some very strong competition this year, but that remains to be seen).

Cursory interview to shut up Montana and Ara P.  Nothing more.  He had no shot to coach the Irish.

156166[/snapback]

I agree, however, ND continues to baffle me, why do you tell anybody that was of "interest" and was getting positive coverage that he is no longer be considered, unless you have the one you want delivered.....hmmm?

I have hired a few coaches in my day, and when it comes down to two, I always make the offer to my preferd guy before I tell my second choice, "thanks but I'm going with someone else" JMO

We'll see about that.  The Patriots are the best-coached team in the NFL.  No one can dispute that.

156245[/snapback]

It goes beyond the coaching, but yes...coaching is a large part of it. But it shouldn't be hard to keep doing what Weis was doing in terms of game plan. And in reality, if you watch them, game plan is only half of it. The truth is, when you see the Patriots play, everyone is always busting their asses all the time keeping a play alive...keeping options alive. Consistently driving down the field on opening drives and putting points on the board. Someone goes down, someone comes in. Out of corners? Use a wide receiver. Oh...wide receiver has two picks? Victories keep coming?

These guys, collectively, just win. Losing one guy short of Brady won't have an effect on that team.

Even if he starts tomorrow at 8 a.m., it won't matter to the Patriots. They keep winning with half the team injured and Brady and Vinateri wearing body casts.

Sorry. Weis leaving won't mean anything to the Patriots. Not this year...not next year...never.

156244[/snapback]

Because the Patriots are and always have been the best team ever and Bill Belicheck has never coached a team that lost anything?

Jesus, it's a wonder they even have the formality of a season of pro football with these results. :(

Because the Patriots are and always have been the best team ever and Bill Belicheck has never coached a team that lost anything?

Jesus, it's a wonder they even have the formality of a season of pro football with these results. :(

156256[/snapback]

Oh, please. Do I come across as a Patriots ass-sucker to you? I hate having to listen to those douchebags, but the truth is the truth. They're deep and they all work hard as a team. Christ, man, they have a wide receiver playing the corner position, and the dude has two picks this year. They just keep moving forward and overcoming adversity.

But a Patriot's ass-sucker I am not.