(OT) Yankees reportedly close to signing..

Like A Mofo

interesting talks between Yankees and Florida , article in Florida Sun Sentinal

When GM Larry Beinfest on Friday said the Marlins were exploring options for its open rotation spot, no one figured the names would include Javier Vazquez and Tim Hudson.

Part of Saturday's Winter Meetings chatter included talk of the Marlins moving A.J. Burnett for the Yankees' Vazquez and cash. A major league source confirmed that discussion had taken place. The Marlins would likely need no less than $10 million to make the deal work.

Vazquez, who pitched for the Marlins ownership in Montreal, is owed $34.5 million over the next three years. Burnett is eligible for arbitration and will command about $3.5 million next season before qualifying for free agency in 2006.

The Yankees may be trying to acquire Burnett to flip him to the Diamondbacks as part of a deal for Randy Johnson. Burnett's name was on a list of desirable pitchers Arizona submitted to New York.

Florida Sun Sentinal

156378[/snapback]

Oh those sneaky Yankees. :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball really needs a salary cap, don't you think? :D

155993[/snapback]

Until they come up with a cap I just can't watch baseball anymore. These guys make too much damn money and the same teams are in it every year. How can anyone get excited about this "sport"?

I grew up a Yankees fan (my father is hardcore), but even I can't stand how they buy their teams. The lack of salary cap and complete control that the players union has over the league has ruined baseball for me.

Until they come up with a cap I just can't watch baseball anymore. These guys make too much damn money and the same teams are in it every year. How can anyone get excited about this "sport"?

I grew up a Yankees fan (my father is hardcore), but even I can't stand how they buy their teams. The lack of salary cap and complete control that the players union has over the league has ruined baseball for me.

Yep.

2001 Arizona Diamondbacks

2002 Anaheim Angels

2003 Florida Marlins

2004 Boston Red Sox

Yep, same teams in it every year...

People always complain about money. The fact is, and its being proven, that you cannot buy a championship in baseball. Complain all you want to about a salary cap, but it obviously isnt making a difference in the the results.

Yep.

2002 Anaheim Angels

2003 Florida Marlins

2004 Boston Red Sox

People always complain about money.  The fact is, and its being proven, that you cannot buy a championship in baseball.  Complain all you want to about a salary cap, but it obviously isnt making a difference in the the results.

156596[/snapback]

Excellent post, but dont let the ESPN and other media influenced, anti Yankee fans hear that, it just makes too much sense.

interesting talks between Yankees and Florida , article in Florida Sun Sentinal

When GM Larry Beinfest on Friday said the Marlins were exploring options for its open rotation spot, no one figured the names would include Javier Vazquez and Tim Hudson.

Part of Saturday's Winter Meetings chatter included talk of the Marlins moving A.J. Burnett for the Yankees' Vazquez and cash. A major league source confirmed that discussion had taken place. The Marlins would likely need no less than $10 million to make the deal work.

Vazquez, who pitched for the Marlins ownership in Montreal, is owed $34.5 million over the next three years. Burnett is eligible for arbitration and will command about $3.5 million next season before qualifying for free agency in 2006.

The Yankees may be trying to acquire Burnett to flip him to the Diamondbacks as part of a deal for Randy Johnson. Burnett's name was on a list of desirable pitchers Arizona submitted to New York.

Florida Sun Sentinal

156378[/snapback]

If they acquire Burnett, they better keep him.

Yep.

2002 Anaheim Angels

2003 Florida Marlins

2004 Boston Red Sox

People always complain about money.  The fact is, and its being proven, that you cannot buy a championship in baseball.  Complain all you want to about a salary cap, but it obviously isnt making a difference in the the results.

156596[/snapback]

It's the media that makes it seem like the only teams around are Boston and New York. If you watch ESPN (who constantly have a hard on for the Red Sox, don't believe me? Check out this issue of ESPN:The Mag) it would seem like these teams are the only ones that matter. It doesn't help that they are in Bristol, Conn. or Gammons and Bill Simmons are both Red Sox fans.

It's the media that makes it seem like the only teams around are Boston and New York. If you watch ESPN (who constantly have a hard on for the Red Sox, don't believe me? Check out this issue of ESPN:The Mag) it would seem like these teams are the only ones that matter. It doesn't help that they are in Bristol, Conn. or Gammons and Bill Simmons are both Red Sox fans.

158304[/snapback]

I agree and that is not how it should be.

There are plenty of other good teams out there besides the Yankees and the Red Sox.

But E$PN is so hard up on the Red $ox and the ob$e$$ion of the Yankees spending money, they have brainwashed fans into thinking the same way, whether they want to admit it or not.

I think Millwood can under Leo. Johnny has to stay healthy...and I hope to god he can. He's going to get a 100k bonus per start so he potentially could end up making 18 mill this year. But, if he puts up number like he has the potential to it could be a great year.

Now, our offense...well we'll just have to wait and see what shakes down b/c right now we'd have Eli Marrero and Charles Thomas starting in the OF...yuck.