Giants/Vikings - Snowpocalypse 2010

Just Jack

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to travel there a couple of times a month in the early '90s - don't remember huge amounts of snow that often, just freakin' nasty, stinging coldness.

Went to a Red Sox/Twinkies game at the dome - the place is like a giant bounce house, all held up by air. You literally get blown out the doors as you leave - seems like a silly way to construct a domed stadium.

You'd think maybe some heating elements might in the roof might be considered for the occasional snow storm, but that's JMO.

Friggin wimps.

It was my first thought as well. But if the team can't get to the venue on time, it's hard to play the game. Likewise with the stadium roof issue. Of course there should be no roof...football should be played outside, irrespective of the weather. But if it is unsafe for fans/players/etc then something has to be done.

They should play the game outside at another venue in Minn.

It was my first thought as well. But if the team can't get to the venue on time, it's hard to play the game. Likewise with the stadium roof issue. Of course there should be no roof...football should be played outside, irrespective of the weather. But if it is unsafe for fans/players/etc then something has to be done.

They should play the game outside at another venue in Minn.

Giants travelled without equipment for an outdoor game.

Honestly, having never been to Minnesota I will say a non-dome stadium hosting games in December and possibly January with this -50 number being tossed around would be reckless. I don't know how often that's true but it's not a good situation to put people in for hours at a time.

So, they're looking for a site for the Vikings-Giants game. How about the only NFL stadium in the State of New York, where they know how to handle 2 feet of snow!

I was at the game last Sunday at the Metrodome, and I was commenting how weird the roof is.

Its not really a dome, its like a giant nylon bag tied down to scaffolding.

I can totally believe that crap collapsed.

It looked like something you would slap together if you were stranded in the woods.

There is talk of playing the game at TCF Bank Stadium, the Minnesota Gophers' stadium. It's outdoors on campus. The downside is that it only seats ~50,000 (instead of 60k at the Dome).

That was my first thought - the Gophers certainly aren't using it. Alternatively, the Chiefs are in sunny San Diego - maybe the Giants can just sit tight in Kansas City, and they can play the game at Arrowhead.

Honestly, having never been to Minnesota I will say a non-dome stadium hosting games in December and possibly January with this -50 number being tossed around would be reckless. I don't know how often that's true but it's not a good situation to put people in for hours at a time.

Well, that would certainly guarantee a home-field advantage for the Vikings! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

I was at the game last Sunday at the Metrodome, and I was commenting how weird the roof is.

Its not really a dome, its like a giant nylon bag tied down to scaffolding.

I can totally believe that crap collapsed.

It looked like something you would slap together if you were stranded in the woods.

It's more like a giant, inflatable bounce-house - the air literally blows you out the doors as you exit.

Even in balmy Buffalo, folks with those old slate roofs all have heating systems to melt the snow - don't know why they can't rig up something to melt it or otherwise keep it from accumulating on the Twinkie Dome.

It's more like a giant, inflatable bounce-house - the air literally blows you out the doors as you exit.

Even in balmy Buffalo, folks with those old slate roofs all have heating systems to melt the snow - don't know why they can't rig up something to melt it or otherwise keep it from accumulating on the Twinkie Dome.

In Syracuse they crank up the heat to melt the snow on the Dome.

Equipment could be shipped to any US venue and received by tomorrow evening. This is a non-issue.

The Vikings played outdoors in Minnesota from the early 1960's through 1982. Were they reckless?

The Green Bay Packers continue to play outdoors in conditions fairly similar to those in Minneapolis/St Paul. Are they reckless?

Equipment could be shipped to any US venue and received by tomorrow evening. This is a nonissue

Just repeating one of the first things NFL representatives said. Next up is the fact that both teams would have to completely scrap a week of planning and prep. The gophers stadium administrators have also said it would be a week before they could have the stadium in game shape. Then you have to add wear and tear on an outdoor sloppy December field like arrowhead which would probably be unappreciated by the home team.

And although I am from upstate ny im not familiar with the cold in the minny area. I suppose it's likely an exaggeration with the -50 or a worst a once in a long while occurrence but yes putting fans in that temp is reckless. Playing at and around 0 is fine. At -50 you are talking near instant frostbite. As my comment said, I'm not familiar with there weather but if taking the comments at face value, it's no good. I can't claim to tell you the difference in temps, wind, etc between gb and minny. I know that here in new Orleans which side of the lake you live on can be a 20 degree difference more often then not- when negotiating -10, -20, suddenly a 20 degree difference could be HUGE. I really don't know the fine points of the weather there tho.

These domes are made by Birdair of Tonawanda still, right? They've had so many failures in so many different places I'm surprised they still keep being used.....I'm glad they are - we don't need another business failing here, but you'd think they'd have a better way after all these years.