The Importance of Winning Your Super Bowls

BillsPhan

For many younger fans out here, it seems like the Bills have been the dregs of the NFL forever, and the Patriots have been the absolute class of the NFL forever. But perception is truly reality. Being bored heading into the annual "Lake Erie Stupor Bowl" match-up with my beloved Bills humming along at 2-10-0, my mind drifted back to the glory years of Buffalo Bills football.

I started my research in 1988, the Bills' first AFC East Division Championship season of the Levy/Kelly era. Check this out, you may not believe it because the Bills have been in this endless "Modrak Loop of Losing" for this past decade-plus. In the 20 year period between 1988 and 2007: The Buffalo Bills record was: 177-143-0 including going 0-4 in Super Bowls. The Patriots over those same 20 years between 1988 and 2007, (and this includes their amazing 16-0-0 2007 record): 173-147-0, including going 3-1 in Super Bowls. Yes, the Pats actually lost 4 more regular season games over those same 20 years as the Bills! But because they won 3 of their 4 Super Bowls, and because they have been great much more recently then the Bills were during that span, most fans around the country consider these two franchises polar opposites.

Of course, adding in the 2008 and 2009 seasons, plus this 2010 season so far, plus adding in the fact the Pats got new better younger ownership and a brand new sparkling stadium - the Pats have become a much better and stable franchise earning more money in their larger market.

But for those of us who were around from 1986 through 1999, during the Levy/Kelly era and through the good 90's years of Flutie and Moulds, we can take some solace in the fact that the Patriots really sucked back then! Their stadium was a joke compared to the Ralph, and after they snuck into the Super Bowl in 1986 and got rolled by the Bears, they fell into their very own decade of crap football, similar to the one that the Bills are experiencing today.

Edited by BillsPhan

For many younger fans out here, it seems like the Bills have been the dregs of the NFL forever, and the Patriots have been the absolute class of the NFL forever. But perception is truly reality. Being bored heading into the annual "Lake Erie Stupor Bowl" match-up with my beloved Bills humming along at 2-10-0, my mind drifted back to the glory years of Buffalo Bills football.

I started my research in 1988, the Bills' first AFC East Division Championship season of the Levy/Kelly era. Check this out, you may not believe it because the Bills have been in this endless "Modrak Loop of Losing" for this past decade-plus. In the 20 year period between 1988 and 2007: The Buffalo Bills record was: 177-143-0 including going 0-4 in Super Bowls. The Patriots over those same 20 years between 1988 and 2007, (and this includes their amazing 16-0-0 2007 record): 173-147-0, including going 3-1 in Super Bowls. Yes, the Pats actually lost 4 more regular season games over those same 20 years as the Bills! But because they won 3 of their 4 Super Bowls, and because they have been great much more recently then the Bills were during that span, most fans around the country consider these two franchises polar opposites.

Of course, adding in the 2008 and 2009 seasons, plus this 2010 season so far, plus adding in the fact the Pats got new better younger ownership and a brand new sparkling stadium - the Pats have become a much better and stable franchise earning more money in their larger market.

But for those of us who were around from 1986 through 1999, during the Levy/Kelly era and through the good 90's years of Flutie and Moulds, we can take some solace in the fact that the Patriots really sucked back then! Their stadium was a joke compared to the Ralph, and after they snuck into the Super Bowl in 1986 and got rolled by the Bears, they fell into their very own decade of crap football, similar to the one that the Bills are experiencing today.

I seriously can not believe the Bills have not gone to the playoffs and have only had one winning season for 11 straight years.