Petulant Childish Acts or Anarchistic Attacks?

Nanker

Pro-WikiLeaks cyber army gains strength; thousands join DDoS attacks

The retaliatory attacks by pro-WikiLeaks activists are growing in strength as hackers add botnets and thousands of people download an open-source attack tool, security researchers said today.

The open-source tool, which is sometimes classified as a legitimate network- and firewall-stress testing utility, is being downloaded at the rate of about 1,000 copies per hour, said Tal Be'ery, the Web research team lead at Imperva's Application Defense Center.

They added Amazon to the list, but the majority of these attacks have only messed up the company website at best. None of their payment operations (other than Paypal) seem to have been seriously impacted at all.

True, most can now afford their own place, but they are still clueless when it comes to navigating their way around a vagina.

Not entirely true. Given the domain in which they exist (the internet), they no doubt have vast theoretical knowledge, just no practical experience.

Just because you have something - doesn't mean you can do with it as you please.

Just because you can do something - doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

But, as you may know, they don't care about either of these tenets.

"None of us are as cruel as all" of us means what it says. They will do these things because they can. These people aren't a homogeneous group in any respect, and there is no structure or leadership. And, the skill sets are vastly different. There's a whole lot of people that started showing up after the Scientology thing, so they could be "cool" too, :rolleyes: but do not have any computer science ability. The newbs can be made to do all kinds of stupid things, like destroying their own machines, which only add to the hilarity and make the group even more difficult to define or profile(which is why they don't mind the newbs).

They'll find another shiny object to distract them tomorrow.

GG displays his "internet people hater" badge once again.

They are going after Sarah Palin now becuase she criticised wikileaks.....

They have become, essentially what they despise and are turning basicallyy EVERYONE, except these anarchist hackers, against wikileaks. If I was Assange, Id call off these dogs, but he wont, being the egotistical megalomaniac that he is.

Nope. You have this wrong all day. Assange has 0 control over these people. They are about a 100% free market on the internet, regardless of whoever is saying/doing what. 100% means 100%. No taxes, no regulation, no censorship, no governmental involvement at all.

If anything, these guys are conservatives/libertarians about this. Many of them make racist statements, not to be racist, but to exercise their rights in an in your face manner, and again, because they can. They often do this to specifically antagonize people like GG. :lol:

It's impossible to control the internet. These are childish acts, but powerful childish acts.

Well, from a technology standpoint, anything is possible. But, only from a "fixed point in time" perspective. If you talk in terms of "controlling the internet for 2 months" it can be done. Just like "taxing the internet" would be effective, for about 2 months.(See the Eliot Spitzer thread where I said he would be done in 2 days, and he was) :lol:

Too many people think of the internet as a machine that can be regulated. It is not. It is rapidly becoming a high level organism, complete with its own immune system. If it is attacked by government disease, it will either attack and remove the invader, or, it will evolve new functionality that makes the attacker irrelevant.

I agree, the stereotype is meant to be dismissive, but is obviously outdated. All of a sudden the nerds you picked on in high school are be scary and powerful because of their knowledge, which is mildly refreshing in a way. This has been coming for a long time. The more the world relies on the internet, the more power you give to these people. Sooooo.....now what?

The "stereotype" was never accurate, it's just a way for insecure ignorant people to comfort themselves.

Get rid of "those people." :devil:

I can put myself behind proxies, and other things, you would have an very hard time breaking. Good luck!

In fact, Good Luck!, is pretty much the standard response to anybody who thinks they will ever be able to really control the internet. It's way too late for that, and besides, the ability to withstand nuclear attack is inherent to the design. If we can deal with that, we certainly can deal with a few Democratic politicians/Google/Microsoft/Net Neutrality pissants.

Yeah, they're really showing their vast knowledge through their actions now, right? :rolleyes:

Fact is, anyone can perform these types of attacks. One guy starts a thread in an imageboard that gives out the instructions, suddenly you have a couple thousand people starting up their LOIC and directing it at the same IP. Gee, that was difficult.

Yes, and if that was the only way it worked, you would be right. It isn't, so you aren't. Again, remember that you can always get a bunch of script kids to do whatever you want, you just have to post it right. While they are doing that, you can be doing other things. :devil:

I haven't done anything wrong, and I don't support doing anything illegal. But, I do support doing anything that stops any government from spreading their disease where I work. Show me one(1) industry where government hasn't caused more problems than it's solved, or, as in the case of Wall Street, hasn't been completely corrupted and/or ineffective. You can't.

Just because you have something - doesn't mean you can do with it as you please.

Who says? Laws of nations? :lol: :lol:

The rule is there are no rules. Especially when it comes to modern information. Don't want it leaked, make it more secure. Don't want people surfing on your WiFi? Build tighter security. Trust who you speak to.