Denmark cuts unemployment benefits in half

But here in the Obama Nanny State (formerly known as America) we extend them to 3 freaking years!?

Check out this article. Wow, so studies show that lazy people get off their duffs when the benefits run out. Would we EVER see this on ABC, CBS, NBC?...

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/why-denmark-is-shrinking-its-social-safety-net/

"It shows that between 2005-7, the number of people who got jobs during their four years of benefits — the green line – rose at the beginning before dropping sharply, then spiked as benefits were about to run out, only to plummet after. The red line shows similar behavior in 1998, when Denmark’s benefit period was five years."

Of course we would never see this in the mainstream media. Where they believe that everyone is a weak and frail individual who needs the government to take care of them and their families.

I saw that there was little outrage here over the extension of benefits to 3 years. That's sad. This is supposed to be America, we now have to shell out three freaking years of unemployment benefits? We've officially become "softer" than Denmark????...and people laugh at the prospect of Palin beating Obama???? Give ME a break please.

Edited by 1billsfan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More evidence that Europe is finally waking up to the reality that their welfare states are not sustainable.

Meanwhile, the US keeps adding tens of billions to public employee pension liabilities, but as long as the beneficiaries keep electing Democrats, I guess that's ok.

Have you considered that I'm so vastly more intelligent than you that you are completely failing to understand anything I say? Since you cannot compute information on my level, your pride dictates that you resolve to simply calling me an idiot. You know, similar to the way a cave man would stomp an IPhone on the ground.

Youre a delusional idiot.

But here in the Obama Nanny State (formerly known as America) we extend them to 3 freaking years!?

Check out this article. Wow, so studies show that lazy people get off their duffs when the benefits run out. Would we EVER see this on ABC, CBS, NBC?...

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/16/why-denmark-is-shrinking-its-social-safety-net/

"It shows that between 2005-7, the number of people who got jobs during their four years of benefits — the green line – rose at the beginning before dropping sharply, then spiked as benefits were about to run out, only to plummet after. The red line shows similar behavior in 1998, when Denmark’s benefit period was five years."

Of course we would never see this in the mainstream media. Where they believe that everyone is a weak and frail individual who needs the government to take care of them and their families.

I saw that there was little outrage here over the extension of benefits to 3 years. That's sad. This is supposed to be America, we now have to shell out three freaking years of unemployment benefits? We've officially become "softer" than Denmark????...and people laugh at the prospect of Palin beating Obama???? Give ME a break please.

Maybe because many of our two million unemployed are armed :)

but would you be for the following- it would cost more than just unemployment but a better way to go in my opinion.

"In addition to halving the unemployment benefits period, the government is pinning high hopes on job activation programs, one of the three pillars in Denmark’s famed “flexicurity” model. Employers have carte blanche to hire and fire, and in turn, the jobless are guaranteed benefits if they attend retraining and job placement programs tailored to prepare them for work where labor is scarce."

Have you considered that I'm so vastly more intelligent than you that you are completely failing to understand anything I say? Since you cannot compute information on my level, your pride dictates that you resolve to simply calling me an idiot. You know, similar to the way a cave man would stomp an IPhone on the ground.

Yes, I've considered that and came away with the conclusion that you're a troll, as nobody can be that consistently intentionally stupid.

but would you be for the following- it would cost more than just unemployment but a better way to go in my opinion.

"In addition to halving the unemployment benefits period, the government is pinning high hopes on job activation programs, one of the three pillars in Denmark’s famed “flexicurity” model. Employers have carte blanche to hire and fire, and in turn, the jobless are guaranteed benefits if they attend retraining and job placement programs tailored to prepare them for work where labor is scarce."

Before you arrived, I had advocated this point. We absolutely need retraining programs. I could go along with the idea of free retraining and along with it some sort of minimal support pay, as opposed to someone sitting at home doing nothing and receiving checks.

In other words, you show up and go through the retraining process, you get a check. Which of course there would be a job finding program as well, so when you are done with the retraining process, at some point you will be offered a job.

Before you arrived, I had advocated this point. We absolutely need retraining programs. I could go along with the idea of free retraining and along with it some sort of minimal support pay, as opposed to someone sitting at home doing nothing and receiving checks.

In other words, you show up and go through the retraining process, you get a check. Which of course there would be a job finding program as well, so when you are done with the retraining process, at some point you will be offered a job.

I heard an interesting comment this week regarding something I never considered: if you intentionally take six months off to collect benefits and do nothing to help yourself, it's one thing, but if you ride it for three years and just sit on your ass collecting money, you risk having your skills atrophy. I'm sure there's truth to it, but I think also that the unemployed person who intentionally stays unemployed is not the advanced skill worker anyway. For example, it would seem to me that you don't bring down $85K a year as software engineer, lose your job, and decide to stay out of the job market for three years because you make near that amount on unemployment. Especially if your income is based, in some ways, on maintaining certain levels of certification. Assembly line worker, bottle washers, yeah...okay...but how much can your dishwashing skills really atrophy over a three year period?

I could be wrong because it's been years since I've ever known anyone who could work and simply chose to collect unemployment. That may be because in the small field I'm in, it's all advanced technology. You step out for six months and it could take you a year just to get caught back up.

I heard an interesting comment this week regarding something I never considered: if you intentionally take six months off to collect benefits and do nothing to help yourself, it's one thing, but if you ride it for three years and just sit on your ass collecting money, you risk having your skills atrophy. I'm sure there's truth to it, but I think also that the unemployed person who intentionally stays unemployed is not the advanced skill worker anyway. For example, it would seem to me that you don't bring down $85K a year as software engineer, lose your job, and decide to stay out of the job market for three years because you make near that amount on unemployment. Especially if your income is based, in some ways, on maintaining certain levels of certification. Assembly line worker, bottle washers, yeah...okay...but how much can your dishwashing skills really atrophy over a three year period?

I could be wrong because it's been years since I've ever known anyone who could work and simply chose to collect unemployment. That may be because in the small field I'm in, it's all advanced technology. You step out for six months and it could take you a year just to get caught back up.

It's a big structural problem LA.

It's called an "employer of last resort" program.

For truck drivers and dish washers probably not so much, but a machine operator may not know how to run a newer machine. don't know how many companies are upgrading any of their systems right now.

I think it is more about losing work ethic and motivation to produce.

Let's have a civil conversation today, shall we?

In another thread, I was describing my best friend's wife who has been on enjoyment for close to two years and now is looking at another year. She has no skills to retard because she's an tech writing editor. She could find more work but has no interest in doing so since she's getting a nice check not to work from Uncle Barack and her husband makes about 200K/year. On top of that, she's making some money working occasionally under the table. Each time she was about to start looking for a new job, the unemployment gets extended.