Tight Wads, Cheapies, Freeloaders and Stiffs, etc.,

Spun

I don't know the best way to broach this subject on this board but here goes... Sports fans, when you go into a bar and restaurant, you are not entering the duty free zone for loiterers and freeloaders. Typically, you are entering a place of business in which there are owners and employees. That implies that the business is selling and those entering the premises are buying. Said purchases usually involve onsite food and drinks and even include tipping. There is rent, salaries, wages and assorted bills to pay by both business and staff. I have seen such blatant abuse of this business relationship this year by our very own that something has got to be said and done. Walking into an establishment and parking thyself at a table or bar meant for dining and drinking is the beginning of an interaction whereby one SPENDS MONEY! Yes, MONEY! This Fall, I have frequented a variety of spots to watch pro and college football and NHL hockey. Some of our "peeps" seem to believe it is okay to sit for THREE HOURS, sip tap water, 7/11 coffee and slobber down Taco Bell items from the outside without spending a dime or spending very, very little. Maybe you have seen the deal? The tight wads arrive a half hour before game time, score a table and order a tap water to go along with the Big Gulp. Not only do such offenses give the guilty party a bad rep but for those establishments that welcome "us", Bills and Sabres fans in particular, we are then not so welcome anymore. Get it? Maybe? Hopefully?

Maybe watch the game at home? Or over the internet? Or freeload at the public library computer center? Or read about the game the next day in a newspaper purchased by someone else (of course)? Otherwise, SPEND MONEY!!!

"Uh, I don't need a menu but can I have another water?".

I'm not going over the edge in a barrel but I had to get it out. Oh yeah and Mike Weber had a brilliant giveaway in front of the net to hand off a Sabres victory to the Bruins. Breathe...

Ah yes the further adventures of the pussification of America. Sure there are losers out there but there are also managers, owners and workers of said establisments too damn chicken to say something. If I were still in the restaurant biz and someone came in with food from the outside they'd be gone before they opened the bag.

Ah yes the further adventures of the pussification of America. Sure there are losers out there but there are also managers, owners and workers of said establisments too damn chicken to say something. If I were still in the restaurant biz and someone came in with food from the outside they'd be gone before they opened the bag.

Agreed, I once worked at a Mexican restaurant where we had two dollar kids menu items. This lady brought in Taco Bell (what an insult) for her 4 kids and ordered a meal for herself. She got away with it that one time, but we talked about it later and when she tried the same thing the next week, we politely informed her that was not allowed.

I don't know the best way to broach this subject on this board but here goes... Sports fans, when you go into a bar and restaurant, you are not entering the duty free zone for loiterers and freeloaders. Typically, you are entering a place of business in which there are owners and employees. That implies that the business is selling and those entering the premises are buying. Said purchases usually involve onsite food and drinks and even include tipping. There is rent, salaries, wages and assorted bills to pay by both business and staff. I have seen such blatant abuse of this business relationship this year by our very own that something has got to be said and done. Walking into an establishment and parking thyself at a table or bar meant for dining and drinking is the beginning of an interaction whereby one SPENDS MONEY! Yes, MONEY! This Fall, I have frequented a variety of spots to watch pro and college football and NHL hockey. Some of our "peeps" seem to believe it is okay to sit for THREE HOURS, sip tap water, 7/11 coffee and slobber down Taco Bell items from the outside without spending a dime or spending very, very little. Maybe you have seen the deal? The tight wads arrive a half hour before game time, score a table and order a tap water to go along with the Big Gulp. Not only do such offenses give the guilty party a bad rep but for those establishments that welcome "us", Bills and Sabres fans in particular, we are then not so welcome anymore. Get it? Maybe? Hopefully?

Maybe watch the game at home? Or over the internet? Or freeload at the public library computer center? Or read about the game the next day in a newspaper purchased by someone else (of course)? Otherwise, SPEND MONEY!!!

"Uh, I don't need a menu but can I have another water?".

I'm not going over the edge in a barrel but I had to get it out. Oh yeah and Mike Weber had a brilliant giveaway in front of the net to hand off a Sabres victory to the Bruins. Breathe...

People actually do that? Douchey

Edited by Dante

People actually do that? Douchey

There were a few people who would come to the North Star with their coffee and danish. (As the Star didn't serve food, it was OK to bring in outside food. And remember this was at 10am.) Some would seem to go for a half or more before ordering a draft beer, or something else they would nurse. The place was busy and usually only had one bartender, so it was tough for him to work and play traffic cop.

The place I go now also has a few moochers. It is fairly big: two stories with four rooms, one a smoking room, and a patio. When it's busy it isn't that hard to move between areas and games and keep a low profile. As the staff is busy (they are often understaffed) serving the paying customers, the moochers can usually dodge ordering something. If they get approached, they order a cheap draft.

There are a combination of factors that allow this to happen. Two that pop immediately to mind are:

1. Under-staffing. Sports bars/restaurants seem to try to get away with having the minimal number of employees. And, on any given Sunday (especially here in Florida) a few don't show up. Then you have a bare-bones staff.

2. In many bars, regular groups of people come together to watch the game week after week. There may be a moocher or two in the group, but the group represents a lot of business. Even if they have the staff to monitor what's going on, they aren't likely to risk losing the business of the group by getting tough with a moocher that seems to be with them.

3. Some people start to think of the bar/restaurant they visit every Sunday as "their place", an extension of their home or a friend's home. Of course it is not. But this feeling probably helps business over time...the establishment wants people to be there every Sunday. But this also leads to people thinking they can come in and watch the game without the obligation of spending any money. Not that they do this every Sunday, of course. But I have seen many regulars go an entire half without ordering a drink or food. I've also seen regulars come in and announce they can only stay for a quarter of the game, and sit there for an hour or two and order nothing "Oh, I have to run in a few minutes."

I don't like when people spend 3+ hours in a bar and spend $5, or nothing at all, but the reality is in sports bars, on Sunday in particular, that's a good portion of the business. The idea is to get enough people, coming regularly and they will spend some more money on occasions, bring people who spend more money, etc. Of course total freeloading isn't a part of that plan, and should be nipped in the bud.

Some places have a drink minimum to sit at a table. Some may charge a cover, but that can be a bit dicey if they have the NFL Ticket and offer nothing else. The bars that choose not to do that are the most susceptible to free loaders. But they also probably lose out on some real customers. My point? The problem is complex and the "fix" isn't as easy as one might think.

But I agree with the OP. If you are going out to a bar or restaurant, spend some money...and don't forget to tip. Maybe buy your friend a drink or two, on occasion. If you can't afford to go out, don't go out.

There were a few people who would come to the North Star with their coffee and danish. (As the Star didn't serve food, it was OK to bring in outside food. And remember this was at 10am.) Some would seem to go for a half or more before ordering a draft beer, or something else they would nurse. The place was busy and usually only had one bartender, so it was tough for him to work and play traffic cop.

This the place in San Fran? Chef sent me there in the spring during the Sabres Playoffs, great place, had lots of fun, and spent way to much money as they have a nice draft list :thumbsup:

And whattaya mean no food..had a nice popcorn machine on the bar :w00t:

I can see how some folks are not into drinking beer at 10 am on the West Coast, but order something and pay for something..

This the place in San Fran? Chef sent me there in the spring during the Sabres Playoffs, great place, had lots of fun, and spent way to much money as they have a nice draft list :thumbsup:

And whattaya mean no food..had a nice popcorn machine on the bar :w00t:

I can see how some folks are not into drinking beer at 10 am on the West Coast, but order something and pay for something..

The best self serve free popcorn on the left coast. :lol:

Some of our "peeps" seem to believe it is okay to sit for THREE HOURS, sip tap water, 7/11 coffee and slobber down Taco Bell items from the outside without spending a dime or spending very, very little.

If the restaurant/bar owner/manager is choosing to allow people to sit in their establishment with food/drink brought in from the outside, that is their prerogative. Personally, I don't think I've ever been in a place that would allow that to happen.

That's why they invented the Bloody Mary.

That's why they invented the Bloody Mary.

I've never watched a Bills game out west, but it must be weird to have your serving of Bills grief so early in the day. Here on the east coast, I'm used to my Bills grief spilling directly into my Sunday-night-gotta-to-back-to-work-tomorrow malaise. Must be nice to actually have a little bit of time on a Sunday afternoon to live your life.

I've never watched a Bills game out west, but it must be weird to have your serving of Bills grief so early in the day. Here on the east coast, I'm used to my Bills grief spilling directly into my Sunday-night-gotta-to-back-to-work-tomorrow malaise. Must be nice to actually have a little bit of time on a Sunday afternoon to live your life.

In Alaska[-4 EST] they lose before I get out of bed.

It is. I really miss Pacific Time for that very reason. Watch the pregame while rolling out of bed. Get the game, and the buzz, out of the way early. Have an afternoon to celebrate, commiserate with friends, sleep...whatever. Then be relatively recovered for Monday morning.

It's also great for Sunday/Monday night games. If the Bills are playing on Monday night (remember that?) you might have to leave a bit early, but that only happens once every 5 years or so. So it's manageable.

It is. I really miss Pacific Time for that very reason. Watch the pregame while rolling out of bed. Get the game, and the buzz, out of the way early. Have an afternoon to celebrate, commiserate with friends, sleep...whatever. Then be relatively recovered for Monday morning.

It's also great for Sunday/Monday night games. If the Bills are playing on Monday night (remember that?) you might have to leave a bit early, but that only happens once every 5 years or so. So it's manageable.

After nearly 30 I could never go back the east coast football schedule.

Used to delay MNF on TV here till 7 PM but that didn't pan out. Like I'm not going the hear the 3rd quarter score on the radio?

Like you said, gotta jet out early. 4.35 PM. ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?