December 7th 1941

/dev/null

I visited the Memorial last year and I was disgusted at the condition of the visitor center so I was glad to read this. :thumbsup:

Pretty quick interesting read here.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/12/on_dec_7_1941_crowd_at_redskin.html

Course, in the information age, this could never happen..but imagine keeping the fans in the dark

I visited the Memorial last year and I was disgusted at the condition of the visitor center so I was glad to read this. :thumbsup:

That is great news. What surprised me when I was there (14 years ago) was the fact that at least half of the visitors were Japanese.

Pretty quick interesting read here.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/12/on_dec_7_1941_crowd_at_redskin.html

Course, in the information age, this could never happen..but imagine keeping the fans in the dark

It could happen at the stadium. I can't get any reception in there for some reason. I am guessing maybe too much interference? And, not just by Leodis.

Back in 1995 or so, I met this guy from Japan who was in NYC and was going out to Ellis Island to visit. He had been held at Ellis Island during WWII as a prisoner of war. His english wasn't great, but I believe he had been captured in the Pacific during a navy battle, and ended up at Ellis Island. Anyway, one thing I could understand was that he was complaining about his treatment when he was at Ellis Island because the bulk of POW's there were German, and they only made German food for the prisoners. He was really irate about how this was such terrible treatment....

I agreed with him, and told him if it was up to me we would have treated him the way our guys got treated by Japan, make him walk all day and then cut his head off for fun....

He got pissed, (I'm pretty sure he swore at me in Japanese), and then walked off. No doubt he understood what I said though. Worse than that is my girlfriend who was with me was pissed because she did not believe what I was saying was true.

I've actually heard that from just about everybody who has been there.

I was in the 4th grade. We went to where they had an amazing short film about the attack. It seemed to me the Japanese people treated the island as a recreation spot, and the monument as a tourist attraction. Little kids were playing in the aisles, people had their headphones on humming. The Japanese people looked at each item in the display unit and you just felt that they didn't care. I remember saying something to one of them, asking what they thought of it, and they just glared at me. I got in trouble for talking to a stranger.

I really wonder what they see it as...

Back in 1995 or so, I met this guy from Japan who was in NYC and was going out to Ellis Island to visit. He had been held at Ellis Island during WWII as a prisoner of war. His english wasn't great, but I believe he had been captured in the Pacific during a navy battle, and ended up at Ellis Island. Anyway, one thing I could understand was that he was complaining about his treatment when he was at Ellis Island because the bulk of POW's there were German, and they only made German food for the prisoners. He was really irate about how this was such terrible treatment....

I agreed with him, and told him if it was up to me we would have treated him the way our guys got treated by Japan, make him walk all day and then cut his head off for fun....

He got pissed, (I'm pretty sure he swore at me in Japanese), and then walked off. No doubt he understood what I said though. Worse than that is my girlfriend who was with me was pissed because she did not believe what I was saying was true.

I would have really pissed him off. I would have said. "Meh, could have been worse, they could have fed you sushi."

That is a great story! Eff him!