Interesting observation re. Bell

Erik

This is by no means a professional opinion and just some musings from watching the games in my living room but it seems to me that Bell holds up much better versus the blitzing LB's in the 304. He played well vrs. the tough front 7's of Pittsburgh and Baltimore but struggled at times vrs. Cincy and was totally destroyed by Allen this week. I can't remember much about the Chicago game but I though I remembered him not playing as well as he did in the other games. He was splitting time early during our first go round with the East so I don't think we could gauge much from that but the last four games will test my theory.

I mentioned in the Shoutbox during the game that it's ironic that the Bills offense had so much trouble in years past against 3-4 defenses. The theory was that they didn't practice against a true 3-4 because the Bills were a 4-3 team.

They struggled mightily against Chicago's 4-3…especially the ends, Peppers and Idonije.

Might be onto something here.

Personally I'm not pressing the panic button on Bell. He didn't play high school football, wasn't made into an offensive tackle until 2006 in college, and has 15 career starts. Plus he's not practiced fully this year because Coach Gailey has been giving him one day off each week to help him recover from last year's serious knee injury.

Demetrius Bell still has upside as a player. We just don't know exactly how much. But we'll know quite a bit more by season's end.