(OT) Article on pirating movies

Fezmid

i find their estimate of 3.5 billion is a bunch of crap...if it's worth buying, i'll buy it...i recently picked up the seinfeld dvds and preordered the return of the king because it's something i felt was worthwhile...the other stuff that's supposedly being pirated, many wouldn't have paid to see to begin with (i.e. princess diaries), so to figure it into a loss is ridiculous

regarding going after BT users...i wonder how secure Somethingawful's private torrents are

here we go again.

this is no different than sneaking into a movie theatre to watch a movie, and then saying "if it was a decent movie I would have paid to see it".

155531[/snapback]

He's not entirely off base though. Back in the days of the BBS, on my old trustee C64, I downloaded a TON of games. 99% of them I would never have purchased myself. The games I was really into (Bards Tale, Ultima, John Madden, etc), I saved my money to buy.

The same thing goes for music. I have some songs that I downloaded. They were "free," so I listen to them from time to time. If they weren't, I never would have purchased them. Also, some people just "collect" things for the sake of collecting them so they can say, "I have 10,000 songs on my PC!" If they weren't there for free, they wouldn't want them.

I'm not debating the legality of the downloading. However,the statements (both in the music, movie, and software business) of "We lost 18 bajillion dollars due to downloading" is clearly just not the case. There's some damages there to be sure, but not every downloaded "item" equals a lost sale.

CW

He's not entirely off base though.  Back in the days of the BBS, on my old trustee C64, I downloaded a TON of games.  99% of them I would never have purchased myself.  The games I was really into (Bards Tale, Ultima, John Madden, etc), I saved my money to buy.

The same thing goes for music.  I have some songs that I downloaded.  They were "free," so I listen to them from time to time.  If they weren't, I never would have purchased them.  Also, some people just "collect" things for the sake of collecting them so they can say, "I have 10,000 songs on my PC!"  If they weren't there for free, they wouldn't want them.

I'm not debating the legality of the downloading.  However,the statements (both in the music, movie, and software business) of "We lost 18 bajillion dollars due to downloading" is clearly just not the case.  There's some damages there to be sure, but not every downloaded "item" equals a lost sale.

CW

155539[/snapback]

I agree. Most of the things that I have downloaded have been more as a curiosity factor. I don't think that I would have purchased many of them instead. As far as movies go, I would rather rent or borrow a dvd rather than download a vcd quality movie.

As far as movies go, I would rather rent or borrow a dvd rather than download a vcd quality movie.

155640[/snapback]

you're not looking in the right places

the scariest thing for hollywood is perfect dvd quality rips (or the actual dvds themselves) available for download

I agree.  Most of the things that I have downloaded have been more as a curiosity factor.  I don't think that I would have purchased many of them instead.  As far as movies go, I would rather rent or borrow a dvd rather than download a vcd quality movie.

155640[/snapback]

I agree about the curiosity factor. I think more money is made than lost by downloading. You try something & like it you then buy it. If you don't like it so much, you would not have bought it anyway, therefore no money was lost.