random thoughts from pittsburgh game

rpcolosi

1.) on the Steve Johnson tip that Troy intercepted, from my understanding and watching Pitt should have gotten it at the 2. SJ made contact after Polamalu had picked it off. This may not have made a big difference, but you never know.

2.) A lot is made about the SJ drop in OT, however, that was on 1 and 10 at the Pitt 40. we then had a short gain on a Ftiz scramble, and then a breakdown in protection on the "sack" (really a fitz loss on a broken play where he ran). This was crucial.

3.) Kelsay had a great sack in OT, but it would've been nice if he had focused more on really punching that ball out and keeping it away from big ben. in a weird way reminded me of that Bruce sack of Hostetler in the end zone in XXV (where he could have fought more to keep the ball out of Host hands and thus got the TD over the safety). It was like both times the guys were too excited to celebrate and not focused on really going that extra mile.

4.) the duo of Arthur Moats and Coleman remind me a lot of Crowell and Haggan a few years back. Solid ST players who hopefully can become excellent starters at some point (as both those guys did, all be it for haggan in Denver). In addition, the guy I was most excited for is Danny Batten. If he can come back healthy this kid should be a force. Don't be shocked if the bills opt to not resign Poz. i think they've got a good young stable with those 3.

5.) Maybin had 2 good plays out of his 3 snaps. He should have wrapped up big ben on the scramble for 18. He Forced ben back inside where Kelsay whiffed then Maybin reverted to his old self and allowed an OT to lay on him, literally, until Ben rushed by for 18. Of course, after he makes the tackle 20 yds down field his arms couldn't fall back to a normal position by his side. such a strange kid...

6.) Ganther is a really solid football player. I hope we keep this guy. He does everything well - catches, runs, blocks. He has good vision and had a couple of big runs for 2 and 3 yards. he is a nice up the middle bruiser. I think Caulcrick will get cut or PS.

7.) Gailey rarely gets out couched, at least on Offense. Once he gets a feel for what the DC is doing (for hte opposition), he knows where the soft spot is and how to take advantage. the short middle of the field was wide open all day and we worked it a ton in the 2nd half. Props to him. Also - the defense, for its lack of talent, really used a great combination of fronts, moving fomr 3-4 to 4 down to a 6-2 to nickel and dimes. I liked the confusion.

8.) Leodis, not SJ, deserves more crap for this game. He had a wide open path and didn't wait for a block, but everyone is forgetting the fumbled punt that nearly cost us the game. at no point did he ever have 2 hands on the ball. I like his talent, but can't stand his attitude and lack of consistency and focus on the fundamentals. A wounded Terrence McGee is better than Leodis which is pathetic. I'd frankly liek to see more Yobouty.

1.) on the Steve Johnson tip that Troy intercepted, from my understanding and watching Pitt should have gotten it at the 2. SJ made contact after Polamalu had picked it off. This may not have made a big difference, but you never know.

2.) A lot is made about the SJ drop in OT, however, that was on 1 and 10 at the Pitt 40. we then had a short gain on a Ftiz scramble, and then a breakdown in protection on the "sack" (really a fitz loss on a broken play where he ran). This was crucial.

3.) Kelsay had a great sack in OT, but it would've been nice if he had focused more on really punching that ball out and keeping it away from big ben. in a weird way reminded me of that Bruce sack of Hostetler in the end zone in XXV (where he could have fought more to keep the ball out of Host hands and thus got the TD over the safety). It was like both times the guys were too excited to celebrate and not focused on really going that extra mile.

4.) the duo of Arthur Moats and Coleman remind me a lot of Crowell and Haggan a few years back. Solid ST players who hopefully can become excellent starters at some point (as both those guys did, all be it for haggan in Denver). In addition, the guy I was most excited for is Danny Batten. If he can come back healthy this kid should be a force. Don't be shocked if the bills opt to not resign Poz. i think they've got a good young stable with those 3.

5.) Maybin had 2 good plays out of his 3 snaps. He should have wrapped up big ben on the scramble for 18. He Forced ben back inside where Kelsay whiffed then Maybin reverted to his old self and allowed an OT to lay on him, literally, until Ben rushed by for 18. Of course, after he makes the tackle 20 yds down field his arms couldn't fall back to a normal position by his side. such a strange kid...

6.) Ganther is a really solid football player. I hope we keep this guy. He does everything well - catches, runs, blocks. He has good vision and had a couple of big runs for 2 and 3 yards. he is a nice up the middle bruiser. I think Caulcrick will get cut or PS.

7.) Gailey rarely gets out couched, at least on Offense. Once he gets a feel for what the DC is doing (for hte opposition), he knows where the soft spot is and how to take advantage. the short middle of the field was wide open all day and we worked it a ton in the 2nd half. Props to him. Also - the defense, for its lack of talent, really used a great combination of fronts, moving fomr 3-4 to 4 down to a 6-2 to nickel and dimes. I liked the confusion.

8.) Leodis, not SJ, deserves more crap for this game. He had a wide open path and didn't wait for a block, but everyone is forgetting the fumbled punt that nearly cost us the game. at no point did he ever have 2 hands on the ball. I like his talent, but can't stand his attitude and lack of consistency and focus on the fundamentals. A wounded Terrence McGee is better than Leodis which is pathetic. I'd frankly liek to see more Yobouty.

I agree with many of your observations, however, I disagree with your feelings about McLovin. He has made some boneheaded plays, but I feel that he will develop into a very good cornerback in this league.

Watch the play again. Bruce clearly is grabbing at Hostetlers arm that had the ball and Hostetler used his other hand to hold on to it.

Watch the play again. Bruce clearly is grabbing at Hostetlers arm that had the ball and Hostetler used his other hand to hold on to it.

Hostetler's holding on to the ball while be draped by Bruce Smith was an incredible play by the qb. Smith was going for the arm, as he often did trying to cause a fumble. There were a number of critical game changing plays in that exciting game. That certainly was one of them.

You have a keen sense of observation of a detail missed by many. :thumbsup:

Edited by JohnC

I agree with most of your points as well....However,

Blaming Kelsay for not focusing on punching the ball seems a bit much all things considered.

Moats shows an occasional flash of potential, but I'm not buying the praise so many have hit him with. And Coleman barely plays, but we should have a better idea today.

Not buying the Leodis bashing, especially saying he should have waited for a block when he was going full speed. It's unfortunate, but Moats should have been gong full speed too.

I found it interesting that the FO has approached DW, the site's fav whipping boy, but not Pos, about a new deal so I zeroed in on PP during the Steelers game. I was not impressed at all. He reminded me of a white version of London Fletcher. A ton of tackles but mostly after significant gains. I would like to see more negative yardage plays from our LB crew. I'm hoping for a significant upgrade at the draft in April.