Need Advice on Putting a Pet Down

truth on hold

on the question of being in the room, i think it's a very individual thing. my last gordon passed in my arms but it was really traumatic. she had metastatic cancer and it was clearly the right thing to do but witnessing euthanasia is very hard partly because it's elective. we've had the same vet for over 15 years so it's not like she wasn't with someone she knew and the vet counselled me against staying. goodbyes can be said ahead of time but i won't be present in the room when i need to do this again.

btw, the op asked how the procedure was done. it's generally a high dose iv infusion of a rapid acting barbiturate and i believe some vets give an opiod as well. it is not always instantaneous (but appears painless) as was the case for my gordon.

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the question of being in the room, i think it's a very individual thing. my last gordon passed in my arms but it was really traumatic. she had metastatic cancer and it was clearly the right thing to do but witnessing euthanasia is very hard partly because it's elective. we've had the same vet for over 15 years so it's not like she wasn't with someone she knew and the vet counselled me against staying. goodbyes can be said ahead of time but i won't be present in the room when i need to do this again.

Im not criticizing you at all, so please dont take that from this as Im speaking about the situation in general and not you specifically, but I think leaving your pet to pass alone would be almost as selfish as keeping them alive even though they are suffering.

It is definitely a very difficult thing to do, so I dont expect people to be able to do it. But I also feel that you owe it to your pet to be there for them in their last moments to give them peace and comfort. Like it or not, as difficult as it may be.

To each his own, but personally, Id rather go through the hard part with my pet and be able to say I was there for them, then avoid the inevitable and then feel guilty about it later.

ok, i have to be done with this thread. my dogs are 2 and 1 and its bumming me out.

Take care, Joe

Edited by DrDankenstein

First off, let me say how sorry I am that you have to go through this. To stay or not during the euthanasia process is strictly a personal decision and you should do what you think is best. On one hand, being there likely alleviates any fears your pet may have, on the other, watching your pet take his last breath leaves a burning image.

I really feel for you, Joe. My dog Billie is 14 and is starting to have some kidney trouble. When that day comes, I want to be there with her when she goes to sleep. I can understand both sides to this debate, but for me, I want to be there. The vet's office has always been an uncomfortable place for Billie and I want to give her as much comfort as I can. I'm gonna miss that little doggie like crazy and at the same time, I'm so grateful for her being a part of my life.

Edited by gringo starr

Indeed, and you dont want your loyal pet's last moments to be scared and confused with some strangers.

+1,000,000

Why would you not be there with one of your best friends at the end? Don't let him/her be alone confused and afraid in the last few moments. Hard on you I agree, but it's not really about you at that time. . .

+1,000,000

Why would you not be there with one of your best friends at the end? Don't let him/her be alone confused and afraid in the last few moments. Hard on you I agree, but it's not really about you at that time. . .

Thanks for this advice. Unbelievably, this thread is timed on the first day I've ever had to put down a pet........Same thing - cat has kidney failure, but it's total and it's now time. She's been in the hospital for three days and has not responded and has not eaten since Saturday night.

I have to walk there since I can't even get my car out of the driveway. This is not going to be good, but like you guys said, I HAVE to be there.

Edited by bbb

I'm not sure if this was mentioned too busy to read all replies. We've had two cats. One died at home while we were gone the second we put down. We had the vet come to our house and do it. Put him on his favorite perch so he could enjoy his favorite view out the window. I knew he was looking at the bird in the tree saying "hope your going to be right behind me B word!!" Weird thing though is he knew. He hid under the bed BEFORE the vet even got there. And he never hid under the bed. It's a lot more expensive but so worth it.

Oh and do what we did after. Go out, raise several toasts to tho ole boy/girl and get shitfaced.

My mother-in-law had two cats too. She had terrible luck with them. One disappeared without a trace.

The "cleaning lady" found it about three months later - under a bed in the guest room.

True story.

I can't offer advice as I've never had to put a pet down. I have a 12 year old cat that's been my best friend since I was 15 and when her time comes, i'll be there to comfort her any way I can. So sad to think about. I'm sorry for the tough decision you're facing Joe. God bless.

Wow - I go years, and one time over a decade, without crying, but I was sobbing before, during and after this today...... My first time, too, like I said above. I think the biggest thing is you still see her alive (although not very lively) and you know that she will soon be dead, and ultimately you are making that decision (even though you know it's right).

I knew that this was supposed to be emotional, but I didn't think I would really be that emotional. Man, was I wrong.

When my daughter was nine years old she had a cat that was put down and we both cried like babies when the vet did it. Was alot tougher than I thought it would be. Swore I'd never get attached to another pet after that. Feel for ya....

I didn't see this because I was posting at the same time.........I thought the same thoughts today, but I also thought about the saying that "Grief is the price that we pay for love." I never heard that until Barbaro died and his owner said it........Now, I totally understand it.....I think I'll probably be willing to pay the price again.

Indeed, and you dont want your loyal pet's last moments to be scared and confused with some strangers.

+1,000,000

I see your +1,000,000 and raise you *1,000,000

I had a dog, Bandit, that was quite literally the family dog. Got Bandit when I was a kid and he died in my early 20s. When he died, Bandit was an old dog (13?) and had several health problems, which my parents were more than happy to pick up the tab for. One day Bandit was having problems breathing. A couple hours later the vet called and told us that Bandit had died :cry:

I regret to this day that Bandit died at the Vet with strangers in a strange place. :(

I avoided this until today. It just seems too painful to say good bye to animals. Even as an INTJ I grow very close to my cows, yes, cows, and hate saying goodbye to them. It is even worse now that I have seen some of my own put down and hung. When I take a calf to a sale, though, I at least can pretend he's still at some feed lot getting stuffed to his hearts delight!

I avoided this until today. It just seems too painful to say good bye to animals. Even as an INTJ I grow very close to my cows, yes, cows, and hate saying goodbye to them. It is even worse now that I have seen some of my own put down and hung. When I take a calf to a sale, though, I at least can pretend he's still at some feed lot getting stuffed to his hearts delight!

I really am not trying to make fun here, and I'm asking sincerely: Do cows have a lot going on upstairs? I don't have a lot of experience with them, but every time I see one it just seems like they don't really have any personality and aren't very smart. Is that way off the mark?

And as hard as it is for me to read and participate in threads like this, in a small way it actually helps me to maintain faith that there are still caring people with a heart out there. The older I get, the more cynical I become about other people, so it's nice to see that others can be so caring when it comes to our little furry friends.

I really am not trying to make fun here, and I'm asking sincerely: Do cows have a lot going on upstairs? I don't have a lot of experience with them, but every time I see one it just seems like they don't really have any personality and aren't very smart. Is that way off the mark?

Pig > Dog > Cat > Donkey > Cow > Goat > Mule > Horse > Duck > Chicken

My dad was talking to our vet last week about this just last week. He's been in biz for 30 years. He stated that a lot of his judgement of intelligence is about how an animal can adapt to new enviroments and survive. A horse is not that intelligent and often thought to be smarter than what they really are because of their training; one thing I bring up is the term "one trick pony." Because it is true, horses can only multitask so much. A horse left on its own will not do much to survive unless in an ideal enviroment, even the wild ponies on the Shackleford Island, NC are cared for extensively.

Now, as far as cows go, they are not trained like a horse but they are definately smarter. I have had cows get out and walk back to my barnlot from over a mile away. The last time was back in June when a 7month old heifer decided she missed her mother and walked back through woods and back yards. When a cow or calf gets out you can chase them back and they will go in exactly where they went out, and if you let them in another gate within a few minutes they will be right back out. They recognize voices, sounds, and images/people. When I drive my truck down the road between two plots of land they all look up at me from down the hill even when traveling full speed. If I am in a car or something they do not recognize they pay me no mind. They hear the truck and see it. Often times they will leave a new born calf for several hours, even half of a day and return to exactly where the calf was. Out west, in the prairies they hide their calves and will walk miles for water.

Goats are smart because they are so able to find ways to survive. Donkeys can be trained to do many different things and can become pretty self automated. Pigs, though, hands down, are the smartest. They are built quite similarly to humans. You learn a lot farming. It is just so cool!

Pig > Dog > Cat > Donkey > Cow > Goat > Mule > Horse > Duck > Chicken

My dad was talking to our vet last week about this just last week. He's been in biz for 30 years. He stated that a lot of his judgement of intelligence is about how an animal can adapt to new enviroments and survive. A horse is not that intelligent and often thought to be smarter than what they really are because of their training; one thing I bring up is the term "one trick pony." Because it is true, horses can only multitask so much. A horse left on its own will not do much to survive unless in an ideal enviroment, even the wild ponies on the Shackleford Island, NC are cared for extensively.

Now, as far as cows go, they are not trained like a horse but they are definately smarter. I have had cows get out and walk back to my barnlot from over a mile away. The last time was back in June when a 7month old heifer decided she missed her mother and walked back through woods and back yards. When a cow or calf gets out you can chase them back and they will go in exactly where they went out, and if you let them in another gate within a few minutes they will be right back out. They recognize voices, sounds, and images/people. When I drive my truck down the road between two plots of land they all look up at me from down the hill even when traveling full speed. If I am in a car or something they do not recognize they pay me no mind. They hear the truck and see it. Often times they will leave a new born calf for several hours, even half of a day and return to exactly where the calf was. Out west, in the prairies they hide their calves and will walk miles for water.

Goats are smart because they are so able to find ways to survive. Donkeys can be trained to do many different things and can become pretty self automated. Pigs, though, hands down, are the smartest. They are built quite similarly to humans. You learn a lot farming. It is just so cool!

Cool, thanks! That's actually really interesting. I've heard that pigs are pretty damn sharp...which only increases my guilt when I eat them, lol. I'm surprised cows are that smart, though...interesting. I've always thought that farming was a pretty interesting profession...thanks for sharing the info!

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I've really appreciated the sentiments and advice.

I'm looking to have Vladimir put down early next week ... still working on the where and how. Today was another bad one for him as he exhibited very little appetite and energy, and threw up his evening medication. Not much of a life for anyone.

Where I come out on the "in the room at the time" discussion is leaning towards in the room, placing his needs for a friend above my hesitation at witnessing it.

I think one reason we can get so emotional at a time like this (especially with an animal we've had a long time), are remembering all the things you shared with them, and how they always seemed there for you. In Vlad's case, he was a Valentine's gift in 1994 to my girlfriend at the time. After a difficult break up where we were nearly engaged, I demanded to have him back as I had grown too attached him (I told her she can keep all the jewerly, I have no use for used stuff, just give me my cat back! ... lol.) Subsequently he was there with me for the death of both of my parents (father 1996, mother 2006.) Starting another relationship and getting married (2002), and having children (2006 and 2009). I remember one particular instance when my father died, Vlad (who had always been too proud to sit on anyone's lap) came and placed himself on my chest as I lie on the sofa trying to make sense of it all. That was extremely rare for him, and I have to think he sensed my situation and tried to provide some comfort.

For those interested, I put a picture of him in my profile. He sure has been one great cat, and loads of fun along the way with his playfulness and quirkiness.