Need Advice on Putting a Pet Down

truth on hold

Unfortunately I think it's time for my 16+ year old cat.

He's been a true friend all these years and endlessly entertaining to myself and guests, but years and disease have taken their toll.

His kidneys have deteriorated to the point they're only operating at 25% of a healthy kidney's capacity.

He has had multiple surgeries to relieve urinary tract blockages.

Every day he needs 100ml IV fluid, 1 high blood pressure pill, an antacid pill and 2 potassium pills.

Even with this he usually has little appetite, very apathetic (for what was once a very active cat), and is often constipated and throws up.

I just don't think it's right to keep him going any more.

Even though he may look healthy to visitors, the reality is he's not.

The vet has told me he has serious problems and it wouldn't be inappropriate to put him down; but that of course it's my call either way.

Would really appreciate any advice from others who've put their pets down: what made you determine it was time, where they do it, how they do it, how to deal with the conflicting feelings of electing to put a pet down, what did you do with the body, etc etc. Also, anything you would have done differently?

Never done this before so any advice truly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough thing to do, and thank god I've never had to do it. However, I do have a dog and she's my best friend. I know that when that time comes, I'll "just know". It seems by your post that you "just know" and are posting here for some sort of confirmation. I can't tell you to put your cat down, or to not do it and keep giving her the pills. All i'm sayin is that we'll all be here when you need to vent after its all over. Good luck to you...

I agree with corp. You know it needs to be done, but are hesitant to make that final decision. One bit of advice from when I had a family cat put down, if you can bear it, don't be in the room. I wanted to yell out halfway through to stop, but knew it was already too late. It would have been better to be in the waiting room for me than inside.

I agree with corp. You know it needs to be done, but are hesitant to make that final decision. One bit of advice from when I had a family cat put down, if you can bear it, don't be in the room. I wanted to yell out halfway through to stop, but knew it was already too late. It would have been better to be in the waiting room for me than inside.

That's something I think about a lot...one of my dogs is 15, and even though he's still pretty spunky, I know he's on borrowed time. I know how hard it will be for me if I ever get to the point where I have to put him down, but at the same time I want to be there with him by his side. It's really hard to even think about, so I definitely feel for Joe and his situation :(

Just about the worst day of my life when I had to put down my 12 year old Bernese Mountain Dog.

You have my sympathies. You already know it's the right thing to do when they're constantly suffering without any relief.

It's not easy, but it's not right to extend their painful life selfishly.

Sometimes, the pet will let you know when it is time. As mentioned previously, don't be selfish. If the quality of life is not there, do not prolong it to spare yourself/your family.

As far as the body, think about donating it to science. It could help other pets in the future.

Knew it was time with my childhhood dog..dhe lived to 17 and had to put her down when i was 23. It was rough, but i know we did the right thing.

With my last dog, she was in roughly the same shape as your cat it sounds. IV evryday to get fluids in her, you could just tel b her eyes she was ready. Had a vet appt scheduled on a Monday to get confirmation of what i knew in my heart, but had a big deal closing that day and missed the appt. Monday night she went in the backyard, and did not want want to come back up in the house.That was strange for her.

She died in her favorite sun spot on the back porch the next day.

You know whats right..follow your heart. And there is no right decision here, only whats right for you and your familiy, and that includes your cat

Edited by plenzmd1

We had to put down our 15 year old lab over the summer. Its tough no matter what you do. Our neighbor is a vet so she came over and did it. Took the dog for 1 final walk and then had her lay down in her bed while it happened, so she was comfortable and in familiar environment. This way she wasn't scared or nervous. If you can do it, i'd say be in there with them, to comfort them and keep them from being afraid.

The decision is never easy, but as other stated, you will know when it is time, we had to put down the family dog a few years ago and it was one of the hardest things we did. I knew it was the right thing to do when he could no longer greet us at the door, he had been to the vet and the vet said it was our decision, looking at the old guy, he just put his head down and almost relaxed knowing that his pain would finally end. After about 3-4 days we were actually releived that he was out of his pain, and we could talk about him as though he was still the lively dog we had enjoyed for all those years, not the pain filled soul who had been suffering those last few months.

My sympathies to you and your family, embrace the wonderful memories, but be brave enough to allow your pet to be released from the pain.

Edited by Guffalo

Joe, sorry to hear about your situation. From reading your post, it sounds like you already know what you have to do, and why.

The only thing I'd recommend is to be in the room with the animal. They should not be put down alone. It's incredibly difficult, but your pet will look for you in their last moments, and they need you there. And you'll feel better about it later, knowing that you were there for them until the very end, like they would be there for you.

My deepest sympathies.

When I was a kid we found out that our dog had a large tumor. The vet told my parents that they could operate, but it would be very expensive and the tumor would likely come back, and so they recommended putting her down as she was in a lot of pain from the tumor. My parents came home and told us kids this news before deciding to schedule the appointment for the next week. A few days later when we got up in the morning, she was dead. I'm not sure if you have kids or not, but the point of my story is if you do, make sure that they are aware of what is going on, no matter what you decide as it sounds like your cat might not have much longer either way. Losing my dog was hard, but it would have been much harder if I was completely blindsided by it. It's a tough situation to be in, and you have my sympathy.

I have to disagree about not being present when they do it...I was with our dog when they gave her the shot. I felt she needed someone with her, and it was amazingly peaceful..within 10 seconds, she closed her eyes and was gone....that was it...

I have to disagree about not being present when they do it...I was with our dog when they gave her the shot. I felt she needed someone with her, and it was amazingly peaceful..within 10 seconds, she closed her eyes and was gone....that was it...

Indeed, and you dont want your loyal pet's last moments to be scared and confused with some strangers.

I'm not sure if this was mentioned too busy to read all replies. We've had two cats. One died at home while we were gone the second we put down. We had the vet come to our house and do it. Put him on his favorite perch so he could enjoy his favorite view out the window. I knew he was looking at the bird in the tree saying "hope your going to be right behind me B word!!" Weird thing though is he knew. He hid under the bed BEFORE the vet even got there. And he never hid under the bed. It's a lot more expensive but so worth it.

Oh and do what we did after. Go out, raise several toasts to tho ole boy/girl and get shitfaced.

My sympathies .... I agree with the many others who have said you will simply know when it is time. It comes down to a quality of life decision - if the cat has very little or none then it is time. I give my wife huge kudos in this department - we had three cats and they are like children to her - one became very ill and my wife made the decision and stayed with her in the end. Not an easy thing to do.

Joe, sorry to hear about your situation. From reading your post, it sounds like you already know what you have to do, and why.

The only thing I'd recommend is to be in the room with the animal. They should not be put down alone. It's incredibly difficult, but your pet will look for you in their last moments, and they need you there. And you'll feel better about it later, knowing that you were there for them until the very end, like they would be there for you.

My deepest sympathies.

I agree with this 100%. As difficult as it is to watch, you owe it to your pet to be there at that moment to lessen their fear.

I gotta stay away from these threads. I feel sick now. :cry:

Our stupid little cat is only 4 years old but now I'm already thinking about "one day" for her. My sympathies to you, Joe. It's crazy enough that I can get broken up over thinking about my pet that will hopefully live another 10+ years. Going through it in reality is the worst.

I was 2 days from coming home from college when my first dog died. I can't imagine the crushing pain of being in the room when it happens, but it can't be worse than never getting to say goodbye like I didn't.

Best wishes for whatever you decide to do, but I'll echo others that it sounds like you already know.