What message is the league office sending?

Beerball

Anybody else shocked and amazed that Johnson was not suspended? I realize that Finnegan instigated the incident, but how do you not suspend Johnson for 2 punches to the head?

link for those who wish one

I thought this was a tough commish? He totally blew this one and set a standard that it is OK to rip off a helmet and punch your opponent if he gets under your skin. $25K to them is like $25.00 to me.

In 'related' news fines against Harrison upheld, no word on Fitz hit yet.

Anybody else shocked and amazed that Johnson was not suspended? I realize that Finnegan instigated the incident, but how do you not suspend Johnson for 2 punches to the head?

I thought this was a tough commish? He totally blew this one and set a standard that it is OK to rip off a helmet and punch your opponent if he gets under your skin. $25K to them is like $25.00 to me.

It's only Tuesday.

PTR

So now fighting gets you a $25,000 penalty and a ejection from the game but no suspension,but a James Harrison hit to the head get you a $70,000 fine. Something doesnt seem right does it sports fans.

Harrison's fines will continue to escalate because he refuses to change. I'm curious to see what comes of the hit to Fitz.

The 25K each for Finnegan and Johnson without a suspension to AJ is ridiculous (IMO).

As Mr. Tony pointed out on PTI yesterday, who plays Thursday night on the NFL Channel? That be Houston.

And who owns the NFL Channel?

Still wondering why no suspension??

Let me play devil's advocate here. Why is it so ridiculous that there's no suspensions for the fight? In hockey, the appropriate penalty for such an altercation is a five minute timeout. Like hockey, football is a tough game for tough people, to paraphrase our coach. Why shouldn't they throw down every once in a while when things get heated?

So now fighting gets you a $25,000 penalty and a ejection from the game but no suspension,but a James Harrison hit to the head get you a $70,000 fine. Something doesnt seem right does it sports fans.

A helmet hit to the head of a defenseless player who you are not fighting with is much different from 2 guys throwing a few hockey punches.

Nothing to see here.

Edited by Mr. WEO

There is a fine schedule that the league follows for on field infractions, so the union can't turn around and say fines from the league are completely arbitrary. Harrison is fined so much because he is a chronic offender and has moved up that schedule. Commissioner is just following his previous precedent with these two players.

So calm down children there is no conspiracy.

Count me in as one who is unpleasantly surprised. Even before this news, it was weird when Kubiak came out with a wishy-washy press conference response which essentially meant 'boys will be boys'. Then I believe he gave the game ball to Johnson in effect offering no retribution to his actions. The event looked like an old fashioned brawl and the league's action is inconsistent with its demonstrated 'tough love' philosophy.

I like it. A fist fight isn't going to seriously injure someone. Harrison launching his helmet into others (and him publicly saying he tries to knock people out) could potentially ruin someone's career/life.

Great point. If the discipline policy's stated purpose is player safety, i think it's pretty clear which action has more potential to cause serious injury. Andre may be a big tough guy, but he's no boxer and probably doesn't know how to throw a punch that would cause serious harm. The Seymour pimp slap was similarly harmless.

The League set the precedent that if you lead an all together straight laced career and you beat down a noted dirty player, and constant pest that most of the players in the NFL detest you will not be suspended.

AJ has no history, what the commissioner has been consistent about is second chances.

However there is a very steep escalation. Not to mention when was the last time you saw helmets off and punches thrown? Its very rare.

So if James Harrison pulled this on Richie Incongnito Harrison would definitely be suspended because he has a history.

If Patrick Willis pulled this on Richie Incongnito it'd probably be a fine, because Patrick Willis has been a clean stand up player.

That is the precedent and it may not be 100% "fair" but sometimes people deserve to get their ass kicked legally on national television, this was the case last Sunday.

Edited by Why So Serious?

It's only Tuesday.

PTR

The league has already stated that there would be no suspensions. I strongly disagree. I think a one game suspension for both of them would have been appropriate...Finnegan too. He egged him on. This slap on the knuckles by the league is sending the wrong message to kids.

The league has already stated that there would be no suspensions. I strongly disagree. I think a one game suspension for both of them would have been appropriate...Finnegan too. He egged him on. This slap on the knuckles by the league is sending the wrong message to kids.

I guess your kids aren't allowed to watch hockey.

Anyway, as pointed out above, suspensions for this fight would have been an arbitrary punishemnt. There is an infraction/fine schedule previously agreed upon for standard stuff like this.