Kelsay

NaPolian8693

Kelsay is a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 LB. George Edwards should have done a better job evaluating the players and realized the 3-4 is not gonna work with the personal we have. But kudos to him for finally waking up and realizing the 3-4 doesn't work. We are finally getting a halfway decent performance out of our D. Sure hope we draft LBs early and often in next years draft. Not sure who is available via FA either, but This team and be a force next season if they pay out the $$$ to get good.

Agree. Kelsey is an average DE, capable of making some plays, when he plays with a hand on the ground. The Bills need to forget the LB transition for Kelsey, he is not athletic enough to cover my grandmother.

Next, Kelsey will need to put some weight back on and play DE only.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they use him as a situational passrusher he will be worth the money because he has been getting a lot of pressure and tackles the past two weeks. :thumbsup:

I agree kelsay should be used this way, although i'm still not sure he'd be worth the money.

Most of the time, teams use their best rusher at RDE, since the QB can't see them coming. That's why LTs are more highly paid than RTs. Their jobs are more important and they usually are playing against an opponent's best rusher. Schobel was our rush end until his retirement. While some teams with elite defensive ends move them all over the formation, usually teams try to rush the qb from the blindside.

Otherwise, like meathead said, the DEs responsibility is containment. Kelsay did this pretty well opposite schobel and has shown good containment the last few games when the Bills moved to more 4-3 sets.

I've never attacked kelsay for not gathering a bunch of sacks - that's never really been his job. But i really don't understand what Kelsay's job is going to be going forward, if the Bills are going to continue to convert to the 3-4. I don't think they've scrapped the transition althogether.

After this year, when the team acquires more players that fit Edwards' scheme, how often is kelsay going to play? He can't play OLB in a 3-4 (or DE in the 3-4, meathead, he was never a candidate for that position so i don't even know why you would suggest that.)

Edited by Zulu Cthulhu

I think kelsay is going to be caught in the middle. He really struggled at 34 DE and while his play has been better with more 40 sets he hasnt been great.

He made a big play on the goal line but had numerous opportunities for backfield tackles prior to that which would have resulted in much bigger plays. He plays too stiff and is far too easily juked out of his jock.

I think he will be a piece of this team moving forward but i anticipate his role will diminish when they acquire players more athletic and more suited to a 34.

whoops - i mistakenly swapped the l/rde's. obviously the lt/rde is the usual sack focused positions, but the rest of the logic holds

im not gonna edit it as a protest to that little edit message that is still set on immediate instead of five minutes as someone brilliant once suggested nicely but got nuthin but a raspberry

the point of course and as has been for several years now, is that kelsay has always been an average platoon containment/combo de who last season blossomed into an above average undisputed four down combo de worthy of starting for most teams in the nfl

however, once he got that overpaid extension it started building a wave of irrationality among bills fans who made him the latest target of their transferred frustration and wanted to run him out of town

sure the lb experiment was a failure, but it served to only amplify the ignorance of what anyone could see the player had become last season if they werent seething at their unresolveable and actually unsupportable ralph-is-cheap mantra with an incident where ralph was overly-anti-cheap when he probably shouldnt have been

bottom line: kelsay was playing ball worthy of his contract all last season, yet almost nobody noticed. hes now playing even better de ball and the number of fans who are totally shocked at this, not to mention the ones that still want to run him out of town, is pretty hilarious

the guy loves this team, plays his ass off, has a fantastic infectious attitude, has been making de plays for two seasons now, and ...

ah he sucks