Some interesting Lee Evans doo-dad

Hplarrm

As part of a game summary provided through the website Bills Daily, amidst a zillion factoids about the Bills and tomorrow's game they had these Lee Evans items:

Lee Evans is now 3rd on the team's all-time list with 43 TDs.

Lee Evans has more 70+ yard TD catches than anyone else in the league since 2000 with six.

Lee Evans moved into third place on the team's all-time list in receiving yards (5,670).

Granted, Evans output individually has equalled the level of disappointment I have gotten from my team. I do not think it is reasonable to blame him solely or even primarily for the poor results achieved by the Bills.

On the other hand I think any credible assessment of the Bills team or its individuals has to concede that Evans has in no way proved to be the team leader and perennial Pro Bowler which his enormous salary demands that he be.

Like the results produced in total by this team during its 0 for a decade playoff free run the team and Evans have been in adequate.

Nevertheless though Evans has been disappointing these factoids seem to indicate why it was notunreasonable to hp[e Evans would prove to be a number 1 quality WR.

He is not (yet) but perhaps if Gailky can get the entire offense cooking we will see some phenomenal production.

Also while these stats highlight as much disappointment in Evans as worship, they do indicate how stupid it is that some folks want to simply cut or trade Evans because Stevie Johnson is statistically better than Evans in many ways.

In particular the fact that Evans leads the NFL overall for a lot of years in getting 70+ yards TDs has simply got to be a big part of the story as to why Johnson has been so productive.

Opposing teams simply realize that they better figure on doubling Evans sure their DBs are playing loose on Evans or he will simply get a chance to add to his long TD results if singled.

If Evans were to be cut then Johnson would simply face more and better competition and likley his production would drop.

Evans will pick up when teams start double-teaming Stevie Johnson.

PTR

+1

And do we care if they keep doubling Evans? Johnson is having a field day out there, and Jones and Nelson have profited with high yards per catch averages. Evans is at 15 ypc, Jones is 14 ypc and Nelson's at 11 ypc.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/team-statistics.html

A team with Michael Irvin, Jerry Rice, Andre Reed, and Chris Carter at WR would have a terrible passing game with an Edwards/Losman at QB and Cornell Green's along the OL.

WR depends on other players mroe than any other position, and IMO are also the least important position in football because of that (outsife of FB in offenses like the Colts, who dont even use a FB).

+1

And do we care if they keep doubling Evans? Johnson is having a field day out there, and Jones and Nelson have profited with high yards per catch averages. Evans is at 15 ypc, Jones is 14 ypc and Nelson's at 11 ypc.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/team-statistics.html

Gailey is on record stating that he was expecting big things from Roscoe Parrish (the oft injured Roscoe unfortunately as his heart is much bigger than his body). My guess is that he knew Evans would command a dt often (do any of the Evans bashers out there want to make a case that the man with the most 70+ yard TDs in the league for years will not command a dt quite a bit and when he is singled if the Bills show any weakness at #2 WR the coverage is gonna cheat toward Evans big time).

My guess is that it did take much tape review and practice for Gailey to see that if SJs solid route running turned him into s legit TD threat (which he is bigtime now) then if both WRs present a legit case for dts the winner is this equation could well have been Parrish who would get the chance to run against either 4th best DB if the other team went nickel or to exploit the zone.

Its too bad that our OL is a player and a half (and some time to build chemistry short of adequacy that we have yet to get consistent production out of the TE slot, and RP is a wounded warrior because this O has great ability to be explosive,

If the ball is getting passed to SJ13 then LE83 will start to see single coverage. If the ball is being thrown to LE83, then SJ13 will continue to see single coverage. Both can make plays, so the defense is going to have problems. I think we've seen that already with the offensive output in recent weeks.

Next year, if SJ13 is covered....and LE83 is covered...frickin ME81 WILL TAKE IT TO THE HOUSE, BABY!!!!