What would it take to open up player trades

JP-era

Im a fan of removing any cap hits for trading players.

Lets face it the NBA is fun as far as trades go. They can wheel and deal all day, three way trades happen, etc... I wish the NFL was like that.

The Bailey for Portis deal was huge but is the only real big trade in years. It happens all the time in the NBA. I wonder what the reason is for it not happening more in the NFL? Could it be that there are so many starters that each position is so much less important that teams feel they can still win with average players?

Sure a few squads could jump to the elite status with a few studs. Philly has done it. But maybe a team like the Bills doesnt want to give up a stud RB like Henry for a stud LT for example. Maybe they simply say, a stud LT isnt worth trading for. Maybe the drafts are deeper and player development is better meaning you can grow your own pretty easily.

I just wished trading could be opened up more.

Lets face it the NBA is fun as far as trades go. They can wheel and deal all day, three way trades happen, etc... I wish the NFL was like that.

The Bailey for Portis deal was huge but is the only real big trade in years. It happens all the time in the NBA. I wonder what the reason is for it not happening more in the NFL? Could it be that there are so many starters that each position is so much less important that teams feel they can still win with average players?

Sure a few squads could jump to the elite status with a few studs. Philly has done it. But maybe a team like the Bills doesnt want to give up a stud RB like Henry for a stud LT for example. Maybe they simply say, a stud LT isnt worth trading for. Maybe the drafts are deeper and player development is better meaning you can grow your own pretty easily.

154728[/snapback]

I think you hit the nail in the head...the cap hit is tremendous for trading players. The other difference is that in the NBA it is a soft cap, teams can sign their own players and exceed the cap. I believe that is how it works.

154728[/snapback]

the big difference are that NBA player contracts are guaranteed and players are moved for no other reason than as fillers to the deal to balance the economics. In teh NFL, if teams want to move or acquire players the free agent system is the best way to go. However, in the NBA teams are stuck paying players for 4-5 years after their useful life expires, so they get traded just ot remove the salary drain.