What exactly are 'line calls'?

l< j

Preface: I never played the game or been particularly close to the action. So a lot of the nitty gritty Xs and Os stuff is lost on me.

If you can get past my admitted ignorance and have some knowledge about the game, maybe you can explain something to me.

What constitutes a 'line call'? I understand that protections are adjusted pre-snap based on things the center picks up as the lines settle in and before the QB begins the cadence. But I don't understand what specific details/elements they are looking for, and then what the adjustments could be.

So:

What are some specific things that the center would key on or look for, in that pre-snap moment? Some of it must be blitz recognition, but that can't be it all, esp. since blitzes are disguised or faked so much.

Based on this or that observation, what would the center say? How many options could be available in that situation, and how do they convey that to the linemates? It must be some sort of one-word code, right?

What are the actual adjustments? What would a left guard or right tackle do differently in a given situation?

Also, did I read correctly that Fitzbeard participates in some of that pre-snap protection adjustment? (I tried to find that with a search, but couldn't.) If my memory is correct, is that common among QB responsibilities? (God, one more thing for Trent to not do well.) Is it in addition to or instead of a center making the adjustments? How is that different from what a center would see or say?

Thanks.

kj

Having never played line myself, and not knowing what they do at the pro level exactly, the basics of the calls tend to deal with the Os formation and the Ds alignment. AKA if the TE is on the left side of the formation the LT and LG may have a different call than in he was on the right or flexed out into the slot. Also if the DT is head up on the center, head up on the G, or in the Center/Guard Gap could change the calls and assignments for each individual Lineman. The same goes for the DEs alignment and alignment of the LBs, the # of players in the box etc. The playside and backside of the Line will have different calls.

The purpose is to get them all on the same page and account for every defender. Some calls will have the T block down on a DT or a LB inside of him (meaning between him and the C), with a pulling G or FB kicking out the widest defender (referred to as down blocking), or the T could fan out to block the widest DE with a FB or pulling G going up field and taking out the OLB (called the Power O). Another play is the ISO where the GC combo on the DT in the G/C gap and the FB is "isolated" on the MLB. Zone blocking requires lineman to get to get to spots rather than a specific man.

And yes the QB plays a huge part in this. Unless I am mistaken the QB will identify the front for the D is in and call out the blitz packages - that falls squarely on the QB, and is why the O struggled so much under Trent IMO, including the run game - they were always making the wrong calls and he failed to identify the blitz. Fitz is doing so well not because of physical talent but because of his intelligence and identifying the D. Hope that helps from an amateur.

Line calls are going to be different on every play. Often times a team will have different protections with different names Cup, Fan, Slide, etc. Also, there will be different things that backs and tight ends will have to do based on the playcall. Often times these are built into the playcall in the huddle. So for instance, you are running a flood pattern (2-3 receivers spaced about 5-7 yards apart, running out patterns horizontally) towards the right sideline. The protection for this play might be a slide left (all linemen dropstep with their left foot and pick up the defender to the left) in order to give the QB a clear view of the developing play. The defense, pre-snap or during a dummy count, tip their hand that they are bringing an overloaded pass rush to the right side. The QB sees this and changes the protection to slide right in order to give his team the best oppotunity to have a successful play. Also, the QB can call in a slot reciever to help block, or change a RB's pattern to a wait-and-see pattern. Usually it is the QB worrying about proctections, the Center will call out things he may see, but ultimately its the QB in most cases. I hope that helps.

There is a lot that can be said about this. I have never played line or coached the line, but have been around the game a lot as a player and coach. When there is a running play, typically it is either man blocked or zone blocked. It is important that the blockers recognize whether the defensive front is in an odd front (usually 3-4), even front (usually 4-3), or something weird like a short yardage/goal line type front. These fronts determine how the blockers will go about blocking the play. For example, you don't want both your guards blocking two defensive tackles when the defense is in a 3-4 and there is only a Nose tackle. The center will determine which front the defense is playing and the blockers adjust accordingly. On a given running play, the offensive tackle may be responsible for the end in an even front, the LB in an odd front, or the Defensive tackle in a goal line front.

I am less knowledgeable in pass protection issues, but usually the defense tries to determine who is playing middle linebacker. This helps them determine if the defense is overloading one side and if so they need to slide the protection that way, or have a running back pick someone on that side up.

Great stuff. Thanks to the 3 of you for clarifying this.

I didn't realize the complexity of the adjustments and changes between breaking the huddle and snapping the ball. Amazing to think about.

Thanks again.

kj

Great stuff. Thanks to the 3 of you for clarifying this.

I didn't realize the complexity of the adjustments and changes between breaking the huddle and snapping the ball. Amazing to think about.

Thanks again.

kj

I recommend reading Pat Kirwan's Take Your Eye Off The Ball. Lot of good intel in there about things fans don't normally think about when watching a NFL game.

I recommend reading Pat Kirwan's Take Your Eye Off The Ball. Lot of good intel in there about things fans don't normally think about when watching a NFL game.

Second that rec!

I'm so glad I read down the thread b4 posting. I was going to make the exact same suggestion.

>30 years of football fandom and I really enjoyed that book - learned a lot.

To the OP, Gailey is on record saying Fitz calls the protections. This was in a presser after the Ravens game.

It varies from team to team and maybe even players on the team to what extent that responsibility falls to the center vs the QB

And yeah, I think this was something else that Trent did poorly to whatever extent it was his responsibility.

when you see the qb pointing when he walks up to the line, hes pointing out the MLB or mike backer. Most protections are based off identifying the mike. From there the line willl have their own calls pointing out who they will be taking in pass protection or run blocking. There is quite a bit of talking at the line of scrimmage.