Special Teams Question

The Big Cat

When I saw the play happn I tought it was cwick thinking on the punters part, but was looking up at the top graphics to se eif it was going to say "FLAG" as I was wondering it it was legal Eventually a flag was thrown. When I first saw it happen I thought it was like a drop kick. But it does kind of make sense that you can't do what was done, otherwise anytime a ball is fumbled behind the line, just kick it downfield and cal lit a punt.

Ummmm. You might want to include some context if you're looking to settle some kind of debate.

Ball snapped, punter fumbles it, it bounces forward, somehow, after it bounces, the punter just kicks the crap out of it and makes a fairly solid punt out of it. Called a penalty for "illegal kicking" i believe.

When I saw the play happn I tought it was cwick thinking on the punters part, but was looking up at the top graphics to se eif it was going to say "FLAG" as I was wondering it it was legal Eventually a flag was thrown. When I first saw it happen I thought it was like a drop kick. But it does kind of make sense that you can't do what was done, otherwise anytime a ball is fumbled behind the line, just kick it downfield and cal lit a punt.

That's what I thought, that it may be like a drop kick. And that if the Saint didnt catch it in the air (like returning a missed field goal) it would have been brought back to the line of scrimmage. But I assume that a dropkick can only touch the ground once, and this was bouncing around.

Then what is a drop kick? Didn't Flutie score a FG that way for NE? Why is kicking a dropped ball a penalty all of a sudden? Intent?

PTR

I think it's one bounce. This is from wiki, but it explains it...

During the 2010 Thanksgiving Classic game against the New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboys punter Matt McBriar kicked the ball 29-yards[8] after it had bounced on the ground several times in an attempt to recover from a botched punt attempt. He dropped the ball at the New Orleans' 48 yard line, kicked it at the 43 and it was recovered by New Orleans at the 14. This was not a legal drop kick because he did not kick the ball after the first bounce and so would not have scored three points even if it had gone through the uprights (which it did not.) The ball fell into the field of play, where the Saints returned it. The officials correctly declared the kick a fumble followed by an illegal kick.[9]. The Saints declined the penalty and took possession.

This one says it has to be kicked immediately after it touches the ground, which also implies one bounce.

Drop Kick Extra Point

<li id="jsArticleStep1"> Rule 3, Section 8, of the NFL rulebook defines a drop kick as "a kick by a kicker who drops the ball and kicks it as, or immediately after, it touches the ground." While this has always been allowed under the rules, no NFL player attempted a drop-kick extra point for more than 60 years. After Ray McLean drop-kicked the point-after for the Chicago Bears in the 1941 NFL Championship Game, it vanished from the game until the last week of the 2005 regular season. Then, New England Patriots backup quarterback Doug Flutie converted in a 28-26 loss to the Miami Dolphins.

Read more: The NFL Rules for a Drop Kick | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6747197_nfl-rules-drop-kick.html#ixzz16MifwqWF

http://www.ehow.com/list_6747197_nfl-rules-drop-kick.html