Do you think employers should use Social Media sites?

BuffaloBill

Social Media and employment  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want a prospective employer to approach you about jobs through a social media site?

• I find being approached about employment opportunities through social media sites to be useful or of value
    • Prospective or current employers should not approach me through social media.

I know this is far from a scientific poll but I am curious to know if you think being approached through sites like LinkedIn is an acceptable way to learn about prospective jobs or would you consider it a nuisance? Also, what do you think about employers using information you may put out on social media sites to influence employment decisions pertaining to you. Not surprisingly, with the explosion of Social Media activity the workplace is being impacted by it. What are your thoughts?

Am I blind or are the first and second options identical?

Anyway, LinkedIn is designed for this purpose so I think it is entirely useful. Not only for job seekers but employers. But you may be using too broad a term with 'social media'. I certainly wouldn't want anyone twittering me a job offer.

Edited by KD in CT

Anyway, LinkedIn is designed for this purpose so I think it is entirely useful. Not only for job seekers but employers. But you may be using too broad a term with 'social media'. I certainly wouldn't want anyone twittering me a job offer.

Now twittering me during the interview? I'm all for that. :devil:

Yes, my error - multitasking

I am not allowed to edit it.

I do not use any social media sites. I wish I could answer this, but I do not feel either supports my belief.

If you want to post information about yourself on any website feel free to face the wrath that can come of it. Posting yourself drunk, putting a hateful message up, putting up too much information about yourself, all of those can be dangerous and if you do anything like that you're asking for trouble. Even an innocent picture or thought, they can go bad when in the wrong hands.

These folks sure think it's okay

http://recruiting.jobvite.com/products/

BTW, if you are looking for an applicant tracking/ recruiting solution, shoot me a PM

These actually are two different things. Employers will still find candidates from many sources..referals, agencies, job boards etc. Many are now starting to search facebook etc once someone is far into the hiring process seeing what kind of content they are posting..getting picture into that person that might not come through on an interview.Add that to what bacground checkers can now provide, i sure would not be padding a resume anymore.

Also, they are finding people directly from the social media sites..noted above.

Edited by plenzmd1