RachaCha is 15th worst city in U.S. for finding a job

BuffaloBill

I've always wondered why so many people from Rochester feel this holier than thou attitude towards Buffalo? I know it's born of jealousy (Rochester is second fiddle to Buffalo) but it comes out in wierd ways. In the late 80s, Rochester had a million Dolphin fans. Nowadays, they are probably Pats fans but the idea is the same. Anythign to put Buffalo down as some sort of awful scourge of a place. Having lived in both, my preference is for Buffalo (Lake Erie is better and there is more to do...amazing parks...plus Canada proximity) but I like them both.

It's something I've always found odd. Wonder if others have noticed or discussed the Rochester snobbery. Of course, the irony is that the rest of the world knows Buffalo and goes a little cross-eyed when you mention Rochester.

I've always wondered why so many people from Rochester feel this holier than thou attitude towards Buffalo? I know it's born of jealousy (Rochester is second fiddle to Buffalo) but it comes out in wierd ways. In the late 80s, Rochester had a million Dolphin fans. Nowadays, they are probably Pats fans but the idea is the same. Anythign to put Buffalo down as some sort of awful scourge of a place. Having lived in both, my preference is for Buffalo (Lake Erie is better and there is more to do...amazing parks...plus Canada proximity) but I like them both.

It's something I've always found odd. Wonder if others have noticed or discussed the Rochester snobbery. Of course, the irony is that the rest of the world knows Buffalo and goes a little cross-eyed when you mention Rochester.

They would benefit from working together from an economic development standpoint. Rochester was for much of the recent past more economically stable - the crumbling of their primary industries happened about 50 years later than Buffalo's. Like Buffalo though, Rochester did little to ppredict it and to get out in front of it.

I grew up in Buffalo but lived in Rochester for a few years. I have to say, overall, Rochester is a nicer looking city than Buffalo. Not saying Rochester doesn't have it's bad parts, it does. But there are just more nicer parts than in Buffalo. On the other hand the city does seem to have it's collective head up its butt. Change is a four-letter word there.

PTR

I read another study that said Rochester (and WNY in general) weathered the economic downturn better than almost every other city in the US. Some would say that it was in bad shape before, so proportionally the difference was less :)

I will say that the job market for IT positions seems to have improved.

Is it the 15th worst city in the US for finding a job because once you find the job you have to live there?

(And by there I mean WNY)

You and my Aunt, who also lives in SF, have the same thoughts on this topic. If given the choice between death or returning to WNY I would bet she picks the former.

You and my Aunt, who also lives in SF, have the same thoughts on this topic. If given the choice between death or returning to WNY I would bet she picks the former.

Well I'm not quite that adamant about never returning but I'd probably agree to a stoning to near death only to be revived to full health before agreeing to a return to WNY.

Buffalo is looking better all the time... :devil:

Hey if it takes the likes of me staying 3000 miles away to improve Buffalo I'm all for it. I may bag on my home town area all the time but that's just in it's current state. I would love it to be a world class city again. I do what I can. :D

This is one list that Buffalo should be happy about not making. It may be a long time before California and Florida bounce back given the fact they have multiple cities each on this list.

Rachacha Jobs

Sounds like a pretty crappy study.

http://www.13wham.com/content/blogs/story/Is-Rochester-a-Great-Place-to-Start-Over-Or-a/WvK1OP9dykOHxPRngogmJA.cspx

Now, the Forbes list. There is only one metric in play: They divide the number of unemployed workers by the number of jobs posted in online listings.

I wonder if they included all the wonderful work at home listings. :doh:

I went to Bonas, so a great number of our students were from Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse. I could always pick out who was from Rochester immediately due to the snobbery. The Buffalo and Syracuse kids were always more down to earth.

I grew up in Hamburg, so Buffalo is my roots. Whenever I could I spent my holidays and summers at Silver Lake because the burbs were boring.

When I was 17, I moved to Silver Lake because my father lost his job and was being transferred south.

I have lived in Rochester since 1980.

Between Rochester and Buffalo I like living in Rochester better, BUT I do not see it as a better city than Buffalo. I also do not know people who feel they are more sophisticated than "Buffalonians". I know people who feel Rochester was more "technology' based (Kodak Xerox, Bausch) as opposed to Buffalo (Bethlehem Steel, Ford Stamping Plant), but that is irrelevant today.

Buffalo did have a worse rap for being dirty with blast furnaces and the Love Canal, but that got more national press than the equivalent poisons from Rochester plants, like Genesee beer!.

I can say that the Rochester job market absolutely sucks for this unemployed 50 something male. :wallbash:

Anyway, I am just rambling so ask Jay, since he lives in Pittsford which is like Paasville. They are better than all of us!. :worthy:

Edited by Rockpile

I grew up in Buffalo but lived in Rochester for a few years. I have to say, overall, Rochester is a nicer looking city than Buffalo. Not saying Rochester doesn't have it's bad parts, it does. But there are just more nicer parts than in Buffalo. On the other hand the city does seem to have it's collective head up its butt. Change is a four-letter word there.

PTR

So true. I have lived here for most of my 50+ years. It takes an act of God to get things done around here and I don't understand why. For instance: there is no outer-loop that goes all the way around the city. That was poor planning. The fast ferry was simply NOT a good idea for a city this size. The waterfront on Lake Ontario leaves a lot to be desired. For one, you would think that there would be at least ONE hotel in the waterfront district.

I just don't get it; there is so much wasted potential here. On the other hand, we did build a downtown baseball stadium (Thank you, Bob Matthews)

My ex was from Buffalo and I always thought there was plenty to do over there..