First time watching Luck was yesterday

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was a 20 yard run, I wouldn't have said anything.

It was a 58 yard run. Fred Jackson doesn't have 58 yard run speed. So unless we think Luck has better game speed than Jackson, I maintain that he doesn't make it that far.

Luck is a very solid quarterback. I don't think his collegiate body of work vaults him into the annuls of NFL greatness, just yet. I'd like to see him come back next year and truly dominate before I'm ready to crown him king of the face of the franchise quarterbacks.

AT YDS TD INT CMP%

112.4 2746 24 7 70.2

Plus a game left on the schedule and a bowl game. Conservative estimation would be 3200yds, 28Tds, not too shabby. Not Bradford-esque, but certainly dominating enough for me. He also doesn't get to sling it 50+ times a game either like Sam did, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison.

I just don't see the statistical anamolies that the NFL impact quarterbacks have coming out of college: i.e. Sam Bradford's 50 TD season, Matt Ryan's 4500 yd senior year, Philip Rivers' entire career, ect.

EDIT: I don't anyone to think I skimped on this analysis so let me give you the 12 top 5 drafted QB's since 2000:

Scratched = not "impact" QB's

Sam Bradford, definitely having an "impact"

Matt Stafford Can't stay healthy...can't call him "impact"

Mark Sanchez Too much D, too much running, it's not Mark's team, yet.

Matt Ryan, "impact" with a capital "I"

JaMarcus Russel

Vince Young, don't know why this guy doesn't get more playing time, I say he's "impact"

Alex Smith

Eli Manning, see Mark Sanchez

Philip Rivers

Carson Palmer, I'll defer to the thread started about this already

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Mike Vick, the exception to the rule

Please note that all "impact" players put up sick numbers or won national championships in college.

I see neither of those things from Luck, yet.

These comparisons say very little about Luck and they don't paint the entire picture. He doesn't have to put up the big passing numbers (although he is completing over 70% of his passes with over 8.5 YPC, 24 TDs and 7 int. and only being sacked 4 times all year). They average 215 yards rushing a game, which means this is the game plan of the coaching staff, AND IT's WORKING. The only game they lost was to #1 Oregon at Oregon and they still put up 31 points. They are 8th in the nation in points scored (40points a game), and lets not forget they play in the PAC 10, albeit it isn't as tough of a division as years past, but it still isn't a cakewalk.

The most impressive thing about Luck aren't his stats (although they aren't too shabby), is his skillset and decision making ability. He manages the game just the way a QB should. He has amazing pocket presence, he's only been sacked 4 times this year, and he has shown that he has the speed to be dangerous running the ball.

He will be a good one in the pros.

What is most impressive about

Toughness. Yes. Two seasons in the PAC 10 have certainly proven his toughness.

They sure have.

(You left out 'durability' - after 2 seasons, there can't be much doubt about that either.)

Agreed. He has been durable, too.

Talented, tough, durable and smart. A combination that's hard to beat.

Sure. Luck is, IMO, by far, the best QB prospect in college football.

that good enough for you?

Good question? Reading the Carson Palmer article proves you never know what you're going to get. Luck looks great and I would be Glad to see him in a Bills uni, but anyone else coming out this year has BIG questions regarding their game. I'd be happier with Fitz/ Brohm and some help elsewhere if Luck isn't available. With so many needs, to take any other QB would be foolish. JMO

I just don't see the statistical anamolies that the NFL impact quarterbacks have coming out of college: i.e. Sam Bradford's 50 TD season, Matt Ryan's 4500 yd senior year, Philip Rivers' entire career, ect.

EDIT: I don't anyone to think I skimped on this analysis so let me give you the 12 top 5 drafted QB's since 2000:

JaMarcus Russel

Vince Young, don't know why this guy doesn't get more playing time, I say he's "impact"

Alex Smith

Philip Rivers

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Please note that all "impact" players put up sick numbers or won national championships in college.

I would call Sanchez and Eli impact players. I think Stafford will be one as well.

Luck is a better pro prospect than Mallet, Luck has very little risk.

That doesn't mean Mallet sucks.

And yes that run was sick, but if you think Antonio Cromartie is going to bounce off of Andrew Luck on Sundays you're crazy.

At the same time that run shows his ability to keep a play alive and will translate to a first down scramble, to say he wouldn't get to the LOS is a bit of an exaggeration.

Either way that is another Heisman Highlight.

With all the questions around Cam Newton, with plays like this and the Tackle, Luck will be picking up some Heisman votes.

Cam Newton is clearly the best individual player but all these allegations are going to effect Heisman voting.

I can't see LaMichael James winning the Heisman, and Kellen Moore is just ripping up a horrible conference.

So I would think every vote that Cam Newton loses would be an Andrew Luck vote plus he just such a swell stand up, All American guy.

And please, the blindfold Circle Jerk is all around Luck spare me the nonsense that Mallet is getting his knobbed slobbed nearly as much as Luck.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Because he's more about antagonizing others than educating them.

Yes, Simon, I guess am quite your polar opposite. While you are known chiefly for your effusive warmth and charm (and for taking shots at me), I am, I guess, an antagonist for disagreeing with another's opinion - especially if the opinion I differ with happens to be one shared by you.

I do my share of in-depth posts, and take my lumps and ridicule from 'antagonists' who don't agree with my opinions - why don't you aim a few of your snarky remarks their way?

I am, I guess, an antagonist for disagreeing with another's opinion

"Wow, that was good analysis - and Luck's dad agrees with you too!"

So was the above an example of you disagreeing with another's opinion?

Or just yet another instance of you acting like an obnoxious tool in an Andrew Luck thread?

Wonder what your next compulsive obsession will be........

JaMarcus Russel

Alex Smith

Philip Rivers

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Sick numbers or National championships, huh? The only nat'l champ I found is Vince Young (JaMarcus Russell's LSU won title year after he left)

As far as the sick numbers...

The best seasons of these QBs

Matt Ryan 59.3% 4,507 yards 31 TDs 19 INTs

David Carr 64.7% 4,299 yards 42 TDs 7 INTs

Carson Palmer 63.2% 3,942 yards 33 TDs 10 INTs

Joey Harrington 57.8% 2,415 yards 23 TDs 5 INTs (Luck's stats DWARF his)

Matt Stafford 61.4% 3,459 yards 25 TDs 10 INTs

JaMarcus Russell 67.8% 3,129 yards 28 TDs 8 INTs

Eli Manning 62.4% 3,600 yards 29 TDs 10 INTs

Projected stats of Andrew Luck based on avg performance so far this year

Andrew Luck 70.2% 3,245 yards 28 TDs 8 INTs

Luck's stats compare very much to Carson Palmer's, Eli Manning's, Matt Stafford's.

And after looking up all of these stats, I still realized it's pointless. Guys have come out of college with all sorts of stats, good and bad. I thought Matt Ryan was going to be an unsuccessful NFL QB based on the amount of INTs he threw at BC. I should have looked at his heart during that comeback win against VT when he threw 2 late TDs late in the game when they were inept offensively the entire game and had no business winning it.

Andrew Luck has shown me all season that he has that heart, whether he's running down (and catching) DBs who have just intercepted him, whether he's delivering blocks downfield for his RBs, or he's running over DBs on scrambles. He has that "it" factor as well as incredible accuracy and beautiful touch on the long ball. Yes, he doesn't throw a spiral every time, but just ask Peyton Manning how much that means. If Buffalo is LUCKy enough to get him, HALLELUJAH!!!!

"Wow, that was good analysis - and Luck's dad agrees with you too!"

So was the above an example of you disagreeing with another's opinion?

Or just yet another instance of you acting like an obnoxious tool in an Andrew Luck thread?

Meh, not really a bit more caustic than dozens of other posters' remarks aimed toward me. Not in the least.

(Actually, to me at almost seems remarkably similar to the tone of a certain surly former-poster-turned-Global-Moderator.)

Sick numbers or National championships, huh? The only nat'l champ I found is Vince Young (JaMarcus Russell's LSU won title year after he left)

Luck's stats compare very much to Carson Palmer's, Eli Manning's, Matt Stafford's.

And after looking up all of these stats, I still realized it's pointless. Guys have come out of college with all sorts of stats, good and bad. I thought Matt Ryan was going to be an unsuccessful NFL QB based on the amount of INTs he threw at BC. I should have looked at his heart during that comeback win against VT when he threw 2 late TDs late in the game when they were inept offensively the entire game and had no business winning it.

Andrew Luck has shown me all season that he has that heart, whether he's running down (and catching) DBs who have just intercepted him, whether he's delivering blocks downfield for his RBs, or he's running over DBs on scrambles. He has that "it" factor as well as incredible accuracy and beautiful touch on the long ball. Yes, he doesn't throw a spiral every time, but just ask Peyton Manning how much that means. If Buffalo is LUCKy enough to get him, HALLELUJAH!!!!

Exactly. Stats arent worth anything, you have to watch these guys play and throw the states out the window. Luck really is a great player, too bad we wont have a chance to get him.

Maybe that play doesn't happen in the NFL. But the smarts to get out of the pocket and see the opening, and then the awareness to see/feel the player coming from the back and then react - that's there now.

Yeah we've most likely lost the #1 pick, but I'd love to have that guy on my team.

How do you leave Bradford's 50 TD season AND Rivers ENTIRE career off your list?

EDIT: We shouldn't have to do a single-season comparison. But since Luck has only played two, we have to. I'm talking about career numbers. Sorry, but I think he needs another year before I'm sold. His 70% can be accredited to two things: the great OLine in front of him, and the conservative throws he makes.

Edited by The Big Cat