First time watching Luck was yesterday

JÂy RÛßeÒ

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So glad you brought up that play.

I don't mean to be the turd in the punch bowl here because I fully understand how much fun the blindfolded Andrew Luck circle jay is having, but for reals, homey:

That was a great college play. In the NFL he a.) doesn't make it 20 yards past the LOS before being chased down and b.) he sure as **** doesn't forearm shiver a professional DB in the open field like that.

But I agree, it was an awesome college play.

I never knew he was THAAAT fast. He has great size, pocket presence, speed, accuracy, arm strength, intelligence and decision making ability. If Carolina gets the first pick, will they draft him? You would think that they wouldn't because of Claussen, but I wouldn't be so sure, Luck might be awfully hard to pass up on.

I don't mean to be the turd in the punch bowl here because I fully understand how much fun the blindfolded Ryan Mallett circle jay is having, but for reals, homey:

That was a great college play. In the NFL he a.) won't have receivers open, with no defenders in sight and b.) will get sacked due to his poor pocket presence, slow feet and slow release.

fixed

I don't mean to be the turd in the punch bowl here because I fully understand how much fun the blindfolded Andrew Luck circle jay is having, but for reals, homey:

That was a great college play. In the NFL he a.) doesn't make it 20 yards past the LOS before being chased down and b.) he sure as **** doesn't forearm shiver a professional DB in the open field like that.

It was a great college play. But thinking this can never happen in the pros is total nonsense. QBs never have 20-yard runs without getting caught? There are NO smaller DBs in the league susceptible to a forearm from a 240 lb QB? Big Ben throws defensive linemen off with one arm.

Luck is a total package. He has every QB tool, and all at a high level of proficiency. What makes him special are his intelligence and his toughness. The mere fact that he threw the forearm is what should make him stand out from the others, IMO.

It was a great college play. But thinking this can never happen in the pros is total nonsense. QBs never have 20-yard runs without getting caught? There are NO smaller DBs in the league susceptible to a forearm from a 240 lb QB? Big Ben throws defensive linemen off with one arm.

Luck is a total package. He has every QB tool, and all at a high level of proficiency. What makes him special are his intelligence and his toughness. The mere fact that he threw the forearm is what should make him stand out from the others, IMO.

If it was a 20 yard run, I wouldn't have said anything.

It was a 58 yard run. Fred Jackson doesn't have 58 yard run speed. So unless we think Luck has better game speed than Jackson, I maintain that he doesn't make it that far.

Luck is a very solid quarterback. I don't think his collegiate body of work vaults him into the annuls of NFL greatness, just yet. I'd like to see him come back next year and truly dominate before I'm ready to crown him king of the face of the franchise quarterbacks.

The guy he knocked over is a big hitter and strong, 6'2" 216, was honorable mention Pac 10 as a sophomore and will very likely be playing in the NFL in two years when he surely will e drafted, and maybe high. He is one of the better rated safeties around even though he started the season hurt. When you watch any Cal game, the announcers will invariably talk about what a big hitter this guy is.

It was a 58 yard run. Fred Jackson doesn't have 58 yard run speed. So unless we think Luck has better game speed than Jackson, I maintain that he doesn't make it that far.

My bad about the yardage. But if you think the distance of a run is ONLY about speed, you are mistaken.

Luck is ready now. He is the best player in college football, IMO. He can only hurt his draft status by staying in school, as he will be #1 or #2 in the 2011 draft. Of course an NFL lockout changes that thinking.

I don't think the OP was comparing Luck to anyone. You can't argue that right now Luck is the obvious class of the class and #1 overall draft pick.

You're not trying to say that you need a QB who can outrun your starting RB, are you?? That's a pretty high standard.

If anything, the play is a good example of Luck's heart and brain -- he's undoubtedly a gamer. The stiff arm was as much an overplay by the DB, but you gotta give him credit for vision, strength and speed.

Edited by Sabre Bill

My bad about the yardage. But if you think the distance of a run is ONLY about speed, you are mistaken.

Luck is ready now. He is the best player in college football, IMO. He can only hurt his draft status by staying in school, as he will be #1 or #2 in the 2011 draft. Of course an NFL lockout changes that thinking.

I just don't see the statistical anamolies that the NFL impact quarterbacks have coming out of college: i.e. Sam Bradford's 50 TD season, Matt Ryan's 4500 yd senior year, Philip Rivers' entire career, ect.

EDIT: I don't anyone to think I skimped on this analysis so let me give you the 12 top 5 drafted QB's since 2000:

Scratched = not "impact" QB's

Sam Bradford, definitely having an "impact"

Matt Stafford Can't stay healthy...can't call him "impact"

Mark Sanchez Too much D, too much running, it's not Mark's team, yet.

Matt Ryan, "impact" with a capital "I"

JaMarcus Russel

Vince Young, don't know why this guy doesn't get more playing time, I say he's "impact"

Alex Smith

Eli Manning, see Mark Sanchez

Philip Rivers

Carson Palmer, I'll defer to the thread started about this already

David Carr

Joey Harrington

Mike Vick, the exception to the rule

Please note that all "impact" players put up sick numbers or won national championships in college.

I see neither of those things from Luck, yet.

Edited by The Big Cat

Sure. Luck is, IMO, by far, the best QB prospect in college football.

that good enough for you?

Wow, that was good analysis - and Luck's dad agrees with you too!

Toughness. Yes. Two seasons in the PAC 10 have certainly proven his toughness.

(You left out 'durability' - after 2 seasons, there can't be much doubt about that either.)