Black Friday : The good, the bad, the stupid

Just Jack

Thread for articles and personal experiences on retail workers most dreaded day of the year. I'll start....

Two families ALREADY camped out for Black Friday bargains are rewarded with free iPads

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1331691/Two-families-ALREADY-camped-Black-Friday-bargains-rewarded-free-iPads.html#ixzz15t48kVIi

People are idiots. I can't begin to imagine what 'savings' could prompt someone to sit outside all night (or week) just for the privilege of fighting hundreds of other trashy people in a frenzy to buy Chinese-made crap.

But 'Black Friday' is one of my favorite days of the year too. 2d day of a 4+ day weekend, I'll enjoy a relaxing morning followed by some fall yard work -- probably fire up the wood chipper and take care of all those branches that I cut down since last spring. Then maybe a family outing to the park and later watch a football game and eat T-day leftovers. :thumbsup:

People are idiots. I can't begin to imagine what 'savings' could prompt someone to sit outside all night (or week) just for the privilege of fighting hundreds of other trashy people in a frenzy to buy Chinese-made crap.

On a somewhat related note, a new Chik-Fil-A opened here a couple days ago. They had a contest where the first 100 customers got free Chik-Fil-A for a year (defined as 52 combo meals). Well over 100 people were camped outside the restaurant a couple days before it opened.

They ended up having a raffle a day before it opened to determine the "first 100 customers". But the catch was they couldn't leave until the restaurant opened, else they forfeit the prize.

:lol:

There was actually a real case of that here in CT many years ago; dude killed his wife and ran her through to dispose of the body.

I thought using a wood chipper to dispose of a body was just an urban myth. Somebody actually did it?

Tis the day to sit back and watch news reports of people running each other over to get that cheap TV that'll die in 6 months.

My report:

Wednesday night, 11pm, drove by Best Buy near me, no one in line

Thursday 11:30am, still no one

Thursday night, 7:45pm, two people in line

i noticed sparse parking lots on my way into work this morning, but that was 7.30-8.00 perhaps the wave was already over...online sales are cranking though.... :thumbsup:

Tis the day to sit back and watch news reports of people running each other over to get that cheap TV that'll die in 6 months.

My report:

Wednesday night, 11pm, drove by Best Buy near me, no one in line

Thursday 11:30am, still no one

Thursday night, 7:45pm, two people in line

The funny thing is most of the stuff was available online before any of that madness started. I got almost everything I would have wanted from shopping on Black Friday the night before Thanksgiving from the comfort of my home.

Edited by Dr. Fong

The funny thing is most of the stuff was available online before any of that madness started. I got almost everything I would have wanted from shopping on Black Friday the night before Thanksgiving from the comfort of my home.

I know it was either Staples or Office Max I was looking at a printer in their ad, and when checking it out online Thursday afternoon, it was already available for purchase/shipping. I decided it was better to pay down my current bills though instead of making new ones.