No Surprises here, nope.

It's not rocket science, people who work for a living want to keep their earnings.

NY, NJ, PA and CA are all welfare states and soon there won't be enough people working in the private sector to maintain the government jobs and welfare recipients.

Yes, people do still have some opportunity to vote with their feet.

However, increasingly "progressives' have moved from more populated states, e.g., MA and CA, to begin life anew in quaint rustic states like NH and OR and promptly set about making it more "modern" and "progressive," and begin to bring with them the seeds of self destruction.

"Gee Marcia, this is a great place to live with the wide open spaces, the clean air and quaint farms and villages. In a few years this'll be great - once we get a bigger library, a public works department, weekly garbage pickup, more and better schools with fewer kids in each class, more policemen, a full time fire department, a few more people on the town council."

A greater threat in my view, is that the homogenization of the country ever increases at the hands of a continuously strengthening central government.

If the Governors of the "welfare" states (the 'welfare' of which is largely the unfunded pension liabilities caused by the 'progressivism' sketched above) come slinking into DC looking for a bail out, they should receive a kick in the azz and be sent packing back to their state capitols with no federal moneys. And this will be a test of the will of the representatives of the people in the states that are not so encumbered with public debt. Choosing to bail out the several states will in some measure negate the individual power and freedom of the other states and their residents. And the country will continue to become ever more homogenized, and the central government - more powerful.

Why should the people in states like Iowa have to pay to fund the debt obligations of states like California, NY and NJ? It's not "free money". Far from it, it comes with costs that chain an entire country to a ever lowering standard of freedom and deepening burden of debt.

If i wasn't tied to NY for family reasons, i would move to a red state in a heartbeat.

I will stay in CA until I retire. Then take all my money and draw income from it in a state that doesn't have a income tax. That will be my big final FU to the "progressives" of CA.