Heath Shuler to challenge Nancy Pelosi

/dev/null

Pelosi has already faced down challenges to her authority from a diverse set of lawmakers who have called on her, in public and private conversations, to step aside. But this new effort to purge her best friends from the Democratic leadership will test the extent to which she still controls all the levers of party power.

The effort is being led by Reps. Dan Boren of Oklahoma and Larry Kissell of North Carolina, moderates who have asked Pelosi to step down as leader of the party after the Nov. 2 election wipeout. In addition, a pair of liberals, Reps. Peter DeFazio of Oregon and Marcy Kaptur of Ohio, are pushing to postpone leadership elections, and dozens of Democrats have publicly or privately expressed reluctance to keep the California Democrat atop the leadership ladder.

For now, behind closed doors, Pelosi and her allies sound somewhat dismissive.

Miller referred to some dissenters as “irrelevant” during a leadership meeting Monday, DeLauro called them “mischief-makers,” and Pelosi characterized them as “irritants,” according to Democratic insiders.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45166.html#ixzz15PQCIreX

I think he has a good chance at beating her as long as it has nothing to do with passing a football- and one thing I can say about Heath Shuler is that he better than anyone should be able to recognize a leader who can't lead a team to victory.

The jokes just write themselves...

The jokes just write themselves...

Shuler has proven to be a better blocker than passer in congress and just like in football he can at times seem to be purposefully helping the opposing team, you do have to admire his versatility and guts in trying a low percentage end around play but he may have his legs cut from under him- I don't know about his political health but I once saw him on TV where he suffered a strained analogy- although in retrospect I think the audience suffered more.

Shuler has proven to be a better blocker than passer in congress and just like in football he can at times seem to be purposefully helping the opposing team, you do have to admire his versatility and guts in trying a low percentage end around play but he may have his legs cut from under him- I don't know about his political health but I once saw him on TV where he suffered a strained analogy- although in retrospect I think the audience suffered more.

The nerve of a politician that represents the wishes of his district. Yeah, he should of just been looking out for Pelosi's agenda (who obviously deeply cares about him) and should of told his constituents "!@#$ you, I don't represent you, I represent the wishes of OBama and Pelosi". "Big Tent" my ass, thats why that "big tent" is more like a little barbie house now. You are just as intolerant as those of your ilk that like to criticize the other side for not allowing more diverse opinions in their caucus. Get a clue dude... :rolleyes:

Edited by Magox

The nerve of a politician that represents the wishes of his district. Yeah, he should of just been looking out for Pelosi's agenda (who obviously deeply cares about him) and should of told his constituents "!@#$ you, I don't represent you, I represent the wishes of OBama and Pelosi". "Big Tent" my ass, thats why that "big tent" is more like a little barbie house now. You are just as intolerant as those of your ilk that like to criticize the other side for not allowing more diverse opinions in their caucus. Get a clue dude... :rolleyes:

I can understand if you think my trash talking is unsportsmanlike conduct but Shuler has the Democrats scrambling, you think a guy has a conservative game plan then he throws up a hail Mary without huddling with his team leaders, it's not that I'd like to see him sacked or traded but being so public with his Monday morning Quarterbacking of Pelosi seems like a rookie mistake.

I can understand if you think my trash talking is unsportsmanlike conduct but Shuler has the Democrats scrambling, you think a guy has a conservative game plan then he throws up a hail Mary without huddling with his team leaders, it's not that I'd like to see him sacked or traded but being so public with his Monday morning Quarterbacking of Pelosi seems like a rookie mistake.

Not true. Pelosi has the Democrats scrambling, behind the scenes many of them are wishing she would of just dropped out because they understand that having her as the face of the Democratic house party serves as a net negative. The Democratic house has become extremely liberal now, because of their agenda, many moderates and conservative Democratics paid the price for having to take the poison pills (votes) over the past couple years. Even Peter Defazio, a very liberal Democrats is trying to postpone this house election so that momentum can build against her.

She is striking deals, creating new house positions (like the #3 role she created for Clyburn just to secure the CBC Black Caucus) to lock down votes. Even the president isn't thrilled about this, but he is handcuffed, he understands that he has to show a level of support for her or he risks alientating the base EVEN FURTHER. So what does Nancy do? She goes more to the left, does two interviews and states "No regrets" and that the deficit commission's proposals are "unacceptable". She isn't a stupid lady, she knows that her caucus is much more liberal now than before because of the genocide that her policies created. So knowing that her caucus now is made up of a bunch of idealogues, they want her to be defiant they want her to fight for S.S in an overzealous manner (even though the proposals for S.S is to increase the age from 67 to 68 by 2050, yeah how draconian :rolleyes: ).

The president needs a partner who will tack to the middle, and she makes it much more difficult for him to do so. So when the 2012 elections come around, the GOP will still get to use the same talking point slogans of Pelosi, Reid and Obama ________

Heath Shuler understands he won't win, but this is a tactical move with other intended consequences. One this will help undermine her role in deciding post positions. A lot of the rank and file moderate and conservative democrats are upset because she unilaterally rewards and punishes members by giving or withholding choice committee assignments. They want her to loosen her grip of these sort of powers. and are setting their targets on achieving this objective. So even though in your eyes, this is a futile attempt with no objective other than to get them "scrambling" you are flat out wrong. There is a calculus behind this, and you will see, Shuler will get support, not enough to win of course, but he will get enough votes to send a message and undermine her role moving forward.

Edited by Magox

Not true. Pelosi has the Democrats scrambling, behind the scenes many of them are wishing she would of just dropped out because they understand that having her as the face of the Democratic house party serves as a net negative. The Democratic house has become extremely liberal now, because of their agenda, many moderates and conservative Democratics paid the price for having to take the poison pills (votes) over the past couple years. Even Peter Defazio, a very liberal Democrats is trying to postpone this house election so that momentum can build against her.

She is striking deals, creating new house positions (like the #3 role she created for Clyburn just to secure the CBC Black Caucus) to lock down votes. Even the president isn't thrilled about this, but he is handcuffed, he understands that he has to show a level of support for her or he risks alientating the base EVEN FURTHER. So what does Nancy do? She goes more to the left, does two interviews and states "No regrets" and that the deficit commission's proposals are "unacceptable". She isn't a stupid lady, she knows that her caucus is much more liberal now than before because of the genocide that her policies created. So knowing that her caucus now is made up of a bunch of idealogues, they want her to be defiant they want her to fight for S.S in an overzealous manner (even though the proposals for S.S is to increase the age from 67 to 68 by 2050, yeah how draconian :rolleyes: ).

The president needs a partner who will tack to the middle, and she makes it much more difficult for him to do so. So when the 2012 elections come around, the GOP will still get to use the same talking point slogans of Pelosi, Reid and Obama ________

Heath Shuler understands he won't win, but this is a tactical move with other intended consequences. One this will help undermine her role in deciding post positions. A lot of the rank and file moderate and conservative democrats are upset because she unilaterally rewards and punishes members by giving or withholding choice committee assignments. They want her to loosen her grip of these sort of powers. and are setting their targets on achieving this objective. So even though in your eyes, this is a futile attempt with no objective other than to get them "scrambling" you are flat out wrong. There is a calculus behind this, and you will see, Shuler will get support, not enough to win of course, but he will get enough votes to send a message and undermine her role moving forward.

You may not think Shuler has the Dems scrambling but they were thrown for a loss, Shuler is running strong and he's tackling some tough issues and some think what he threw out there was accurate and well targeted but others think his comments were out of bounds the question is will they be well received or will it all spiral out of control, did Nancy drop the ball and fumble an opportunity to reach the goal? we will have to see who has more support in the trenches, well Shuler seems ambitious going for the whole nine yards but it might be a false start that he will be severely penalized for.

You may not think Shuler has the Dems scrambling but they were thrown for a loss, Shuler is running strong and he's tackling some tough issues and some think what he threw out there was accurate and well targeted but others think his comments were out of bounds the question is will they be well received or will it all spiral out of control, did Nancy drop the ball and fumble an opportunity to reach the goal? we will have to see who has more support in the trenches, well Shuler seems ambitious going for the whole nine yards but it might be a false start that he will be severely penalized for.

Those "others" that you refer to come from the far-left flanks of the Democratic party, so you have to take that with a grain of salt. Also, Pelosi will win, the number of liberals outnumber the moderates and conservatives by a wide margin, plus she is doing enough dealmaking to keep her base happy. In regards to Shuler's ambition, he has already won. Not only did he win his North Carolina Mountain district, he is challenging Pelosi. That will ensure him another easy victory against his GOP opponent in 2012. Btw, he lives in a conservative district.

Those "others" that you refer to come from the far-left flanks of the Democratic party, so you have to take that with a grain of salt. Also, Pelosi will win, the number of liberals outnumber the moderates and conservatives by a wide margin, plus she is doing enough dealmaking to keep her base happy. In regards to Shuler's ambition, he has already won. Not only did he win his North Carolina Mountain district, he is challenging Pelosi. That will ensure him another easy victory against his GOP opponent in 2012. Btw, he lives in a conservative district.

I have to say that Shuler has a distinct advantage in a lame duck congress because if anyone know wounded ducks it's Heath Shuler.

In regards to Shuler's ambition, he has already won. Not only did he win his North Carolina Mountain district, he is challenging Pelosi. That will ensure him another easy victory against his GOP opponent in 2012. Btw, he lives in a conservative district.

Shuler is a blue dog in a conservative district in a state with a Republican state legislature that will redraw Congressional districts after the 2010 census.

This move is a Quarterback sneak ;)

The discussions raged deep into Tuesday night as the Democratic Caucus reconvened for a second session in the evening, and numerous side meetings were scheduled for various groups. Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) were scheduled to meet separately with the Congressional Black Caucus to discuss a series of matters, including the creation of a new leadership job for Jim Clyburn, who is the current majority whip and the highest-ranking African-American in Congress.

The new job will be called “assistant leader” rather than “assistant to the leader” and will come with a rank between whip and caucus chairman.

Sort of reminds me of Dwight Schrute Assistant to the regional manager.