Financial Investment Question

ubhockey

Since there are a lot of financial geniuses on this board...

I have $10,000 just sitting in my savings account. The APY is a joke. What can I put that money into -- other than stocks -- to actually get something decent in return?

I have $10,000 just sitting in my savings account. The APY is a joke. What can I put that money into -- other than stocks -- to actually get something decent in return?

153965[/snapback]

Why are you averse to stocks?

Do you have other savings?

What kind of risk/return are you looking for?

Why are you averse to stocks?

Do you have other savings?

What kind of risk/return are you looking for?

153966[/snapback]

Wow, you're actually asking questions every stockbroker is supposed to.

153965[/snapback]

Give it to MadBuffaloDisease. He's a financial wizard. :D

Depends on your risk tolearnce, really. And what other assets you have. Do you have an IRA/401k yet? Own a house? Have a steady, reliable income? You young, or approaching retirement? Wife and kids? Lots of different factors really determine what you should do with ten grand...

Me? I'd put it in the market. All my savings are there. But that's truly a situation of "do as I say, not as I do"...I have the luxury of following it on an hourly basis, so I can preserve my capital by dumping a bad position quickly. When I don't have that luxury...I tend to park large sums either in "safe" equities (solid companies with little downside) or simply money markets. But that's me, and would be an absolutely insane strategy to recommend to anyone else...

153965[/snapback]

GE

Mutual funds

Home Depot

Lowes

Utilities ( careful )

Plan long term. Toms on the Money on these things, sorry for the pun. Good luck.

I have a friend that started up a gentleman's club down in WV. The startup cost was only $4000.

If you want to go with technology stocks, look to invest in wireless technology. In the next 10 years or so you are going to see a boom in that field. Cell phones, computers, tv will all be run off of cell phone towers. Take a look at Europe, they're doing it now. In California, these wireless towers are being built by independent investors and leased to companies. I'd jump on that if I had the money right now.

If it needs to be liquid, open a money market. You'll get a better return than you are now.

If not, I concur with DCT. Invest it in the market, be patient, and be prepared to ride out the hights and lows.

I have two money market accounts among my investments; I like to keep a certain amount liquid in case there's another layoff in the house.

May I suggest sinking a portion of it into a Roth IRA. All the compounded interest over the life becomes tax free after 55 1/2 or 59 1/2, I forget which.

I find it amazing that more people don't take advantage of it. Depending on your age, it could easily be a nice windfall by retirement. Max contribution is $3,000 this year, goes up to 4K next year I believe. There is an income ceiling on who can contribute, for some reason 140K adjusted comes to mind.

I have mine through USAA and split my investment between a simple S&P 500 fund and a more agressive small cap fund. Also, if you find yourself strapped for cash, you can take out any money that you invested without penalty. If you touch the earned interest, that's when the gov't bends ya over.