SB Nation has Luck staying at Stanford

The Senator

I live 1 mile from Stanford and have a Bills license-plate holder.

I'll make sure not to cut anyone off around here till after he declares, whenever that is. If anyone else has any ideas on how I can help, let me know!! :thumbsup:

Sounds like you'll be a very courteous driver for the next year or so but, if you really want to help, you should probably root for Stanford next Saturday - that would help a lot. Winning the Heisman might just push Luck toward entering to draft, and beating Cal next week should help Andy's chances tremendously!

GO STANFORD!!!! :beer:

Edited by The Senator

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah - no one's paying a 21-year-old kid $60M to sit on the bench next season. No one.

Indianapolis Colts President Bill Polian says that the NFL Players Union needs to give in to help make the current system work. "The union has to give us a firm, definitive rookie salary cap. We're perfectly willing to have the money that does not go to the rookies go to the veterans. Nobody is looking to save money. But we're sick and tired of giving exorbitant, incredible sums of money to players who haven't proven they can do anything but play against Eastern Michigan."

The issue of rookie salary caps and other concerns of owners is leading to what some believe is a guaranteed lockout of the NFL in 2011. When DeMaurice Smith, current head of the NFL Players Union was recently asked if there would be a lockout for the 2011 season, he said this. "On a scale of 1 to 10, it's a 14."

link

Sounds like Drew Rosenhouse, Eugene Parker, and other sycophants of their ilk will have to find someone new to fleece.

Well like Bradford, I don't think he would be sitting on the bench next year. Even if a new CBA is put into place it will likely not change the rookie issue until the following draft. There needs to be enough time for the system to adjust and with player having to declare by january its not a lot of time.

I know you are on a crusade about this Luck thing, or more so Mallett, and you make some good points, but lets assume there is a rookie cap for the next draft.

Luck comes out this year, he's gonna be #1, so even with a cap he will get the most he can get bc the #1 pick will still get the most $$$.

If he doesnt come out this year, and waits another year, he may not be #1 anymore, see Locker, he could blow his knee etc etc.

The rookie cap issue should effect his decision the way you say it would. It will likely hinge on him being the #1 pick and what hes hearing from those around him.

I wonder how Buffalo getting the #1, 2 or 3 pick will affect his decision-making? I mean, even i can admit, my hometown team is the least desirable NFL destination for a top draft choice right now. Yes- its the NFL, but if you look at it from someone's perspective who isn't from here and never lived here, it's not attractive. Dallas, Carolina, Denver, San Francisco....they are all nicer locations in the mind of a #1 overall QB.

#1. If there is a rookie salary cap he is likely to stay in school. #2. If its the Bills at 1 -3 in draft, he is likely to stay in school (if you've ever been to the Stanford campus, you'd stay there as long as you could as well). If it's 1 + 2 above, I guarantee he stays in school. Why go play for a crappy team in a crappy place for cheap when you can go win a national title , get a degree from Stanford and live in Palo Alto for a couple more years. No brainer. There will be no Luck in the B Lo for at least another couple years.

Sounds like you'll be a very courteous driver for the next year or so but, if you really want to help, you should probably root for Stanford next Saturday - that would help a lot. Winning the Heisman might just push Luck toward entering to draft, and beating Cal next week should help Andy's chances tremendously!

GO STANFORD!!!! :beer:

Based on recent experience, QBs from Stanford might not be all that smart. If the collective bargaining agreement doesn't scare him into entering the draft, I doubt a trophy will do it.

#1. If there is a rookie salary cap he is likely to stay in school. #2. If its the Bills at 1 -3 in draft, he is likely to stay in school (if you've ever been to the Stanford campus, you'd stay there as long as you could as well). If it's 1 + 2 above, I guarantee he stays in school. Why go play for a crappy team in a crappy place for cheap when you can go win a national title , get a degree from Stanford and live in Palo Alto for a couple more years. No brainer. There will be no Luck in the B Lo for at least another couple years.

National title????? Stanford????? :w00t::lol::w00t:

Probably have to agree with most everything else - the campus is very nice, especially if you like the smell of eucalyptus. Not very fond of Palo Alto (aside from the campus itself), though I can see where sushi-eaters and chardonnay-swillers might find it endearing. Luck probably fits both those categories.

(But at least he hasn't professed a fondness for any child-actresses B-))

We might see him in Buffalo in 2016 - when the 49ers play here.

I know you are on a crusade about this Luck thing, or more so Mallett, and you make some good points, but lets assume there is a rookie cap for the next draft.

Actually, K Gun, it's more of an -anti- 'Luck-Crusade' -crusade- i.e., a crusade against the Luck-Crusaders! :D

(You are correct, though, in stating that I think Mallett's a better choice for the Bills - no matter who comes out, or when they do.)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

National title????? Stanford????? :w00t::lol::w00t:

Probably have to agree with most everything else - the campus is very nice, especially if you like the smell of eucalyptus. Not very fond of Palo Alto (aside from the campus itself), though I can see where sushi-eaters and chardonnay-swillers might find it endearing. Luck probably fits both those categories.

(But at least he hasn't professed a fondness for any child-actresses B-))

Actually, K Gun, it's more of an -anti- 'Luck-Crusade' -crusade- i.e., a crusade against the Luck-Crusaders! :D

(You are correct, though, in stating that I think Mallett's a better choice for the Bills - no matter who comes out, or when they do.)

GO BILLSSS!!!!

Reverse the Curse!!!!! B-)

Yeah, if he hadn't lived in Germany for much of his childhood and Texas for his adolescent and football years... <_<

Add because elite level D-1 programs want their players subsisting on chardonnay and sushi. C'mon Senator, I know you hate "Andy," but...

Edited by stony

Yeah, if he hadn't lived in Germany for much of his childhood and Texas for his adolescent and football years... <_<

Add because elite level D-1 programs want their players subsisting on chardonnay and sushi. C'mon Senator, I know you hate "Andy," but...

The Senator obviously has an aversion to taking quarterbacks from Stanford defnitely. We definitely obviously all suffered through the tenure of the last one obviously. You can't defintiely say that obviously any QB from Stanford will definitely fail obviously but the Bills definitely had an obviously good quarterback from Arkansas once definitnely.

Andrew Luck apparently indicated on KNBR recently that he wants to make sure and get his college degree before heading off to the NFL:

"I don’t think about [the NFL Draft] that much," the redshirt sophomore said on KNBR. "I still consider myself a pretty young guy. I need to get a degree in college before I start thinking about that stuff. I will probably stay in school for sure."

Read more: Stanford QB Andrew Luck Wants To Earn His College Degree Before Going Pro

What is SB Nation? And, how does something he said in July trump what he said this week?

What is SB Nation? And, how does something he said in July trump what he said this week?

SB nation is a sort of on-line 'clearing house' for various sports bloggers and columnists with ties to their local teams.

What did Andy say this week about coming out? Did I miss something? :unsure:

SB nation is a sort of on-line 'clearing house' for various sports bloggers and columnists with ties to their local teams.

What did Andy say this week about coming out? Did I miss something? :unsure:

I guess so. He told Jim Rome that he'll get together with his family, coaches, etc. after the season and make a decision on coming out.........Rome asked him about graduating (I guess in reference to this), and he said something like that's important to him. He didn't say he had to do it before coming out. Just kind of left it hanging there, and it seemed to me he was saying he can graduate after coming out.

Hmmm...maybe I should have said 'Gewürztraminer and Wiener Schnitzel'??? :unsure:

(You left out London - it was right there on Google that he went to The American School in London, yet you left out that he lived in London too! :nana: )

I guess so. He told Jim Rome that he'll get together with his family, coaches, etc. after the season and make a decision on coming out.........Rome asked him about graduating (I guess in reference to this), and he said something like that's important to him. He didn't say he had to do it before coming out. Just kind of left it hanging there, and it seemed to me he was saying he can graduate after coming out.

Holy crap!!!!! You're RIGHT!!!! That's WAY different than...

"I don’t think about [the NFL Draft] that much," the redshirt sophomore said on KNBR. "I still consider myself a pretty young guy. I need to get a degree in college before I start thinking about that stuff. I will probably stay in school for sure."

:rolleyes:

(I don't really care what he didn't say - Luck-lovers can spin what he didn't say however they want, to suit their little hearts' desires :wacko: )

Edited by The Senator

Hmmm...maybe I should have said 'Gewürztraminer and Wiener Schnitzel'??? :unsure:

(You left out London - it was right there on Google that he went to The American School in London, yet you left out that he lived in London too! :nana: )

(I don't really care what he didn't say - Luck-lovers can spin what he didn't say however they want, to suit their little hearts' desires :wacko: )

Yes, you have it right. It is definitely way different. If you don't see the difference between "I need to get a degree in college before I start thinking about that stuff. I will probably stay in school for sure" and "I'm going to get together with family, coaches, etc. and then make a decision" then I really can't help you.

Andrew Luck apparently indicated on KNBR recently that he wants to make sure and get his college degree before heading off to the NFL:

Read more: Stanford QB Andrew Luck Wants To Earn His College Degree Before Going Pro

That sounds like my response when the guys are going to do something I am not crazy about! In other words, I would go if you could guarantee me a great time and no jail time! Now to translate to Luck " I will come out if you guarantee me number one and a lot of cash!."

Ahhh, well played sir. I expected a generic Riesling reference.

I'm sure he realizes Locker cost himself some money by staying put when he was consensus number 1. And for all of you "Locker sucks he will go in the 4th round" naysayers....McShay (who although a blowhard is usually pretty accurate) has him going between 1st and 8th overall. If Luck stays put he thinks good chance he will be a Bill.

McShay did get the Maybin pick right. :bag:

#1 No need to rewrite history, Locker was not consensus #1 overall. Locker went back to school because his advisors told him that he had a second or third round grade by most scouts.

He went back to school to improve his draft status he failed at that.

#2 Luck is not Locker. Luck was rated higher than Locker last year and has only improved this year.

The point that Luck is concensus #1 QB this year and cannot go any higher is a valid point.

#3 There will absolutely be reeled in rookie signing in 2011.

It makes zero sense for the NFL owners to lock out players and then go spend crazy money on rookies that will be standing on picket lines. If you think any different you can add your well thought out thoughts here.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123078-signing-2011-draft-picks/page__p__2031599#entry2031599

#4 You forget that for some players the money will always be there.

Sam Bradford had the worst case scenario last year and still went first overall.

#5 "I will discuss entering the draft with my family and coaches" is the answer by every underclassman ever in the history of time. It means nothing; Tim Tebow used it his Junior year, and Sam Bradford used it. Its the same as not saying anything at all. What do you expect him to say?

The Truth is at this point in time no one knows what Luck is going to decide.

There are a lot of reasons why he could come out, one last year of huge rookie signings is not one.

Not to mention that the difference between a $35 million dollar rookie salary cap contract and $55 million dollar uncapped contract is minimal over the long term if Luck believes that he can make it the NFL. A player of Luck's potential will never play the contract out. If he is a franchise quarterback it would be renegotiated before the back loaded final year. If he were concerned he was not NFL material, he would come out now to get the most guaranteed money.

That is one of the reasons why these discussion do not swirl around Mallet and Cam Cameron. They do not have the concensus #1 QB tag and there are more questions of whether or not they can make a successful QB in the NFL. So they need to take the money when they can get it.

There are a lot of personal reasons Luck may stay, the Bills having the #1 overall is not likely one.

You can bicker of the unknowable all you want, but get your facts correct in your squabble.

Only time will tell.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

What do the 49'ers have to do with anything? They currently are tied with 4 other teams for the 4th worst record. And next year, who knows what happens?

If you want to root for anything, root for Michigan to continue to come up lame the rest of the season, especially against the Ohio State University (not that it will take much to rooting, since they have virtually NO chance against OSU, or even Wisconsin). Once Rodriguez is fired, Harbaugh will most assuredly jump at the chance to coach them, his alma mater. And Harbaugh leaving, along with Luck being projected as the top overall pick, will be enough to force him to jump to the NFL. Whether there's a rookie cap in 2011 or 2012 might factor into it, as may whether there's a lockout. But that will be unknown by January 14th, as opposed to the other 2 things which will be known, and things can only go downhill for Luck if he stays in school another year.

What do the 49'ers have to do with anything? They currently are tied with 4 other teams for the 4th worst record. And next year, who knows what happens?

Yes - and with eight games to go they are only wins ahead of Buffalo. You're stating the current standings as if it's a lock that the 49ers couldn't possibly end up picking first - which, at this point, is FAR from certain.

Hell, everything is far from certain - with half-a-season still to play!!!!

(If the 49ers DO pick first, that changes everything - Luck will not be able to resist a continued diet of Dungeness & Sourdough!)

If you want to root for anything, root for Michigan to continue to come up lame the rest of the season, especially against the Ohio State University (not that it will take much to rooting, since they have virtually NO chance against OSU, or even Wisconsin). Once Rodriguez is fired, Harbaugh will most assuredly jump at the chance to coach them, his alma mater. And Harbaugh leaving, along with Luck being projected as the top overall pick, will be enough to force him to jump to the NFL. Whether there's a rookie cap in 2011 or 2012 might factor into it, as may whether there's a lockout. But that will be unknown by January 14th, as opposed to the other 2 things which will be known, and things can only go downhill for Luck if he stays in school another year.

Yeah...it is fun to dream :rolleyes:

#1 No need to rewrite history, Locker was not consensus #1 overall. Locker went back to school because his advisors told him that he had a second or third round grade by most scouts.

He went back to school to improve his draft status he failed at that.

#2 Luck is not Locker. Luck was rated higher than Locker last year and has only improved this year.

The point that Luck is concensus #1 QB this year and cannot go any higher is a valid point.

#3 There will absolutely be reeled in rookie signing in 2011.

It makes zero sense for the NFL owners to lock out players and then go spend crazy money on rookies that will be standing on picket lines. If you think any different you can add your well thought out thoughts here.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/123078-signing-2011-draft-picks/page__p__2031599#entry2031599

#4 You forget that for some players the money will always be there.

Sam Bradford had the worst case scenario last year and still went first overall.

#5 "I will discuss entering the draft with my family and coaches" is the answer by every underclassman ever in the history of time. It means nothing; Tim Tebow used it his Junior year, and Sam Bradford used it. Its the same as not saying anything at all. What do you expect him to say?

The Truth is at this point in time no one knows what Luck is going to decide.

There are a lot of reasons why he could come out, one last year of huge rookie signings is not one.

Not to mention that the difference between a $35 million dollar rookie salary cap contract and $55 million dollar uncapped contract is minimal over the long term if Luck believes that he can make it the NFL. A player of Luck's potential will never play the contract out. If he is a franchise quarterback it would be renegotiated before the back loaded final year. If he were concerned he was not NFL material, he would come out now to get the most guaranteed money.

That is one of the reasons why these discussion do not swirl around Mallet and Cam Cameron. They do not have the concensus #1 QB tag and there are more questions of whether or not they can make a successful QB in the NFL. So they need to take the money when they can get it.

There are a lot of personal reasons Luck may stay, the Bills having the #1 overall is not likely one.

You can bicker of the unknowable all you want, but get your facts correct in your squabble.

Only time will tell.

All excellent points, except the one about the squabble.

There's really nothing to squabble over - Luck's not coming out. :beer:

Edited by The Senator