Celtics beat the Heat...again!

Buftex

Wow! Great game by the Celtics tonight, in Miami...that Miami team has some holes to fill...their only legit point guard and their only legit center, both happen to be LeBron James...I suspect they will get their act together by the end of the season (after Pat Riley fires Eric Spolstra!), but it sure is fun watching them tank, for the second game in a row (great win by the Jazz the other night, in Miami).

Maybe I am giddy with starting out 2-0 against the big bad heat, but I think this Celtics team might be better than the one that won the championship two years ago...big three are older, and streakier, but their bench is miles better...

Favorite story of the night...after the game, Paul Pierce "tweets" LeBron and D-Wade and says "It has been a pleasure taking my talents to South Beach"! :lol: This is gonna be a fun season, for the few of us who like the NBA!

ps- and the Lakers finally lose one! Great night!

while i never expected the Heat to break 72 win mark, i equally never expected them to start out 5-4, and lose 2 to the Celtics and the way they lost to the Jazz. They will eventually start clicking, but so far the critics are having a field day. What a dunk by Rondo in that game!!!!! Great to see 'Melo and the Nuggets hand the Lakers loss #1.

Wow! Great game by the Celtics tonight, in Miami...that Miami team has some holes to fill...their only legit point guard and their only legit center, both happen to be LeBron James...I suspect they will get their act together by the end of the season (after Pat Riley fires Eric Spolstra!), but it sure is fun watching them tank, for the second game in a row (great win by the Jazz the other night, in Miami).

Maybe I am giddy with starting out 2-0 against the big bad heat, but I think this Celtics team might be better than the one that won the championship two years ago...big three are older, and streakier, but their bench is miles better...

Favorite story of the night...after the game, Paul Pierce "tweets" LeBron and D-Wade and says "It has been a pleasure taking my talents to South Beach"! :lol: This is gonna be a fun season, for the few of us who like the NBA!

ps- and the Lakers finally lose one! Great night!

What should I do? Should I admit that the Heat made mistakes. Should I remind you that they've done this before?

Should I give you a history lesson on the spanking the Celtics gave me last year?

What should I do? Should I tell you how much fun I had over the summer bashing my hometown?

What should I do?

Should I have my tattoo placed on my arse that says I got pwned?

I liked Bosh and really enjoyed Wade's character and it's sad because James makes me hate them.

while i never expected the Heat to break 72 win mark, i equally never expected them to start out 5-4, and lose 2 to the Celtics and the way they lost to the Jazz. They will eventually start clicking, but so far the critics are having a field day. What a dunk by Rondo in that game!!!!! Great to see 'Melo and the Nuggets hand the Lakers loss #1.

Agree Pooj, I don't expect the Heat to play .500 basketball on the season...they will get better. How much you wanna bet, Spolstra gets canned, in favor of Reily, if this continues for another two weeks? They are a majorly flawed team...

What should I do? Should I admit that the Heat made mistakes. Should I remind you that they've done this before?

Should I give you a history lesson on the spanking the Celtics gave me last year?

What should I do? Should I tell you how much fun I had over the summer bashing my hometown?

What should I do?

Should I have my tattoo placed on my arse that says I got pwned?

I liked Bosh and really enjoyed Wade's character and it's sad because James makes me hate them.

A lot of us feel this way. But hey, a good villian always makes the game more fun to watch.

A lot of us feel this way. But hey, a good villian always makes the game more fun to watch.

I agree. Basketball was my sport growing up. The one I played varsity, etc. The one I lived for.........But, since the Braves left I never really got a passion for a team. The only sport college or pro where I don't have "a team" is the NBA. (LOVED the Braves, BTW)........Now, I have a team every night - whoever the Heat are playing!

I agree. Basketball was my sport growing up. The one I played varsity, etc. The one I lived for.........But, since the Braves left I never really got a passion for a team. The only sport college or pro where I don't have "a team" is the NBA. (LOVED the Braves, BTW)........Now, I have a team every night - whoever the Heat are playing!

Likewise...I played all sports, but basketball was the only one I ever had any success with...height was a huge advantage as a kid...not as much later...but I developed a Charles Barkley-like ass to make up for it!

Anyways, loved the Buffalo Braves...they were always my favorites, with the Bills very ca Buffalo Braves. lose behind, and the Sabres a slightly distant third. I was so bummed when they left town...my older brother was always a Celtics fan, before there was a Buffalo Braves. I had the thrill of pounding (with my brother's help) carton upon carton of Dairylea milk, saving up vouchers, to get free Braves tickets. My dad flipped, he was always screaming "Didn't I just buy milk?" Got to see Kareem with the Bucks, Pistol Pete...good times...even was at the controverial playoff game, where the Celtics eliminated the Braves from the playoffs on a questionable Jo Jo White steal from McAdoo...

I know, as a Braves fan, it is wrong to like the Celtics (Exiled In Illinois has lectured me on it extensively over the years, but I don't know him!), but, I really tried to follow the Clippers. Back in those days, it was impossible...they played too late in the night to even be included in the box scores of the east coast newspapers. Plus, they started dumping all the Buffalo Braves...guys like Randy Smith...

It was right around the same time that TBS became the Boston super-station in Buffalo...so we got all the Celtics games. They were so damn good, it was hard for me not to like them...around the time Bird came in the league. Since they were the only NBA team that I could see nearly every game, they became my team...and then they won three championships...to this day, the only team I have rooted for, that has ever won the ultimate prize.

As for the Heat, while Wade is pretty likeable, I never liked them, even before LeBron, because, my love for the Bills, and hatred for the Dolphins carried over to all sports...I hate pretty much any team from Florida, on any level...though, I must admit, I found the Tourkolu, pre-Vince Carter Orlando Magic teams fun to watch...perfect for me that LeBron goes to Miami, with (to me) the equally nauseating Pat Riley...

GO CELTICS!!!!! :beer::thumbsup:

(At least one of my teams is winning!)

A man of exceptional taste! :thumbsup:

Likewise...I played all sports, but basketball was the only one I ever had any success with...height was a huge advantage as a kid...not as much later...but I developed a Charles Barkley-like ass to make up for it!

Anyways, loved the Buffalo Braves...they were always my favorites, with the Bills very ca Buffalo Braves. lose behind, and the Sabres a slightly distant third. I was so bummed when they left town...my older brother was always a Celtics fan, before there was a Buffalo Braves. I had the thrill of pounding (with my brother's help) carton upon carton of Dairylea milk, saving up vouchers, to get free Braves tickets. My dad flipped, he was always screaming "Didn't I just buy milk?" Got to see Kareem with the Bucks, Pistol Pete...good times...even was at the controverial playoff game, where the Celtics eliminated the Braves from the playoffs on a questionable Jo Jo White steal from McAdoo...

I know, as a Braves fan, it is wrong to like the Celtics (Exiled In Illinois has lectured me on it extensively over the years, but I don't know him!), but, I really tried to follow the Clippers. Back in those days, it was impossible...they played too late in the night to even be included in the box scores of the east coast newspapers. Plus, they started dumping all the Buffalo Braves...guys like Randy Smith...

It was right around the same time that TBS became the Boston super-station in Buffalo...so we got all the Celtics games. They were so damn good, it was hard for me not to like them...around the time Bird came in the league. Since they were the only NBA team that I could see nearly every game, they became my team...and then they won three championships...to this day, the only team I have rooted for, that has ever won the ultimate prize.

As for the Heat, while Wade is pretty likeable, I never liked them, even before LeBron, because, my love for the Bills, and hatred for the Dolphins carried over to all sports...I hate pretty much any team from Florida, on any level...though, I must admit, I found the Tourkolu, pre-Vince Carter Orlando Magic teams fun to watch...perfect for me that LeBron goes to Miami, with (to me) the equally nauseating Pat Riley...

I remember those milk cartons well. I remember also being a member of the Junior Braves, whatever that entailed!.......But, yeah - we got to see everybody - Wilt, Kareem, West, Oscar, Pistol Pete. That was all great and then it got even better when the Braves did. Those Celtics playoff series were the best. Cowens vs. McAdoo was a classic matchup. I wasn't at the JoJo White game - saw that one on TV, but I was at some others. The basketball timeout may be the best moment in sports, and I remember the crowd exploding after the Braves took the lead and were on a huge run when the Celts had to call timeout.

But, because of those playoff losses, and even moreso, because it took us something like 5 years to even get our first win over them, I can never get fully behind the Celtics, even when all my friends were in the 80s.

I have a long memory and can't get over those Celtics losses and the 0-20 vs. the Dolphins.

I was in a bar recently and they had an NBA game on. I think I realize why I'm not a fan anymore. The 3-point line. These guys were dropping long bombs left and right. I didn't see one go in. Booooooorrrrriiiinnnggg.

I agree, I think some teams take way too many three-point shots. Some teams (Magic, Celtics) are better at it than others. It is the NBA equivalent of "going long" on every play. Teams used to be more judicious, but now everyone thinks he is a 3point sniper. That said, when used right, the three point shot adds something exhilarating to a tight game. The other night, against the Heat, Ray Allen hit 7 three pointers in a row, and ended up 7 out of 9.

hey Buff hit me up so I can catch you up on whats going on with my daughter...:)

Miami's big problem is the big 3 are going to eat up their salary and basketball is a team game.....the Celtics are much more stocked to include bench as a whole....and they are an actual TEAM

My lakers have a unique problem this year....the team is loaded with so much talent Phil is still figuring out his rotations.....we went from being a guard lacking team to a team filled with perhaps too many good guards that need playing time....and the best guard is not starting as they star Derek Fisher.....really wish the others would get more burn.

We also dont have Bynum back till after Thansgiving....that is our bruiser in the paint....Gasol is more of a technique guy, the other center is old.

All in all...Im happy with the start of the season.

Anyways, loved the Buffalo Braves...they were always my favorites, with the Bills very ca Buffalo Braves. lose behind, and the Sabres a slightly distant third. I was so bummed when they left town...my older brother was always a Celtics fan, before there was a Buffalo Braves. I had the thrill of pounding (with my brother's help) carton upon carton of Dairylea milk, saving up vouchers, to get free Braves tickets. My dad flipped, he was always screaming "Didn't I just buy milk?" Got to see Kareem with the Bucks, Pistol Pete...good times...even was at the controversial playoff game, where the Celtics eliminated the Braves from the playoffs on a questionable Jo Jo White steal from McAdoo...

As for the Heat, while Wade is pretty likable, I never liked them, even before LeBron, because, my love for the Bills, and hatred for the Dolphins carried over to all sports...I hate pretty much any team from Florida, on any level...though, I must admit, I found the Tourkolu, pre-Vince Carter Orlando Magic teams fun to watch...perfect for me that LeBron goes to Miami, with (to me) the equally nauseating Pat Riley...

A man of exceptional taste! :thumbsup:

Thanks, BufTex, and 'right back at ya!' ;)

Goes back to my days in Boston during the Bird/McHale/Parrish/Walton era and even before that, growing up watching Russell and Havlicek beat up on the Lakers - and everyone else - but it was always great watching LA lose to 'The Green', and, in those days, they always did! Loved going to games at the old 'Gahden' - in fact, the Aud reminded me a lot of the Boston Garden- obstructed-view seats and all. Back when we had the Braves, the Celtics games were about the only ones I went to see.

When I lived in Boston, I used to occasionally hang out at the Scotch & Sirloin on Friday nites and - after a Celtics game - Bird, Ainge, DJ, McHale, etc. would casually mosey on in and sit down to dinner. Nice guys, all of 'em. Also was on a flight from Logan to Minneapolis to visit Westlaw (they were a huge client) and out of the first-class cabin saunters a Sequoia-sized guy with an infant in his freaky-long arms and 3 other little ones tugging on his pants-legs as he dragged them down the aisle to 'the potty', Kevin McHale. Really really nice guy - stayed in coach most of the flight and chatted up the flight attendants and fellow passengers - and, very surprisingly, smoked a cigarette or two! Also used to see Dave Cowens at Fenway Park all the time. And the thing to do - back in those days - if you were watching the game on TV, was to turn the volume down, turn on your radio, and listen to an entirely different game (than the one you thought you were seeing) being called by the legendary...

BTW, not sure why you (And Exiled) think it's wrong to back the Celtics - The Dean has a better take on this than I do, but it's my understanding that the current Celtics franchise is actually the old Buffalo Braves!

And, the Clippers are the old Celtics - all I know is something terribly confusing happened in the whole 'franchise-swap' of John Y. Brown and Ira Levin...

By the summer of 1976, the team's founding owner Paul Snyder was doing all he could to sell the team. The June 15, 1976 issue of Buffalo's Courier-Express blasted the headline "Braves Go to Florida, Leaving 'Hockey Town'." Snyder had a handshake deal to sell the team to Mr. and Mrs. Irving Cowan, who would move the Braves to Hollywood, Florida, yet the City of Buffalo filed a $10 million damage suit to block the move. The sale eventually fell through and the Braves and the city signed a new 15 year Memorial Auditorium lease in July with a provision that the lease could be voided if the team did not sell 5,000 season tickets in any season. Later that summer Snyder finally sold 50 percent of the franchise to businessman John Y. Brown, Jr., who had previously owned the Kentucky Colonels of the American Basketball Association. Brown later acquired the remaining half from Snyder sometime in the 1976–77 season. ...

Because of the team's poor play in its final two years (30–52 in 1976–77 and 27–55 in 1977–78), along with rumors of the franchise relocating because of low season ticket sales, John Y. Brown met with the Celtics' then-owner, Irv Levin and negotiated a deal in which the owners would swap franchises, with Brown taking control of the Celtics while Levin would get the Braves. Levin was a California businessman, and wanted to own an NBA team in his native state. The deal was brokered by David Stern, the general counsel for the NBA who would go on to later become the league's current commissioner. Following what would be the final season in western New York, the NBA owners voted 21–1 to let the Braves relocate. As Levin wanted, the Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego, California after the 1977–78 season, and became the San Diego Clippers.

(from Wiki)

Also see...

Are the old Braves really the new Celtics? (from buffalobraves.net)

When the Braves left Buffalo, there was a franchise swap between the team's owners (John Y. Brown and Harry Mangurian) and the owner of the Boston Celtics ( Irv Levin). The NBA wants us to believe that the Braves became the Clippers and moved to San Diego. However, there are also reports that the Braves actually legally became the Celtics and Celtics legally turned into the Clippers. In fact, Braves GM Bob MacKinnon was quoted as saying "The old Braves are the new Celtics and the new Clippers are the old Celtics. When I joined the Celtics with John Y Brown, I didn't have to fill out a W-4 form, but Red Auerbach did."

We at BuffaloBraves.net understand that it would be difficult, to say the least, to rewrite history but the loyal Braves fans worldwide deserve to know if the legal legacy of their team was actually the Celtics (who have won 3 world championships since "they left Buffalo") or the lowly Clippers, who were selected by Sports Illustrated as the worst run franchise in American sports history. What's keeping the true story from being told? Perhaps because the lead attorney on the deal was a promising young legal mind in the league office by the name of David Stern. Six years later Stern would become the most powerful commissioner in all of professional sports. His vision of international expansion of the league led to a team being place in Toronto, essentially killing any chance of NBA basketball returning to Buffalo.

So, BufTex, regardless of what EII admonishes, IMO you and I can shout it at the top of our lungs...

GO BRAVES CELTICS!!!!!

Edited by The Senator

Thanks, BufTex, and 'right back at ya!' ;)

Goes back to my days in Boston during the Bird/McHale/Parrish/Walton era and even before that, growing up watching Russell and Havlicek beat up on the Lakers - and everyone else - but it was always great watching LA lose to 'The Green', and, in those days, they always did! Loved going to games at the old 'Gahden' - in fact, the Aud reminded me a lot of the Boston Garden- obstructed-view seats and all. Back when we had the Braves, the Celtics games were about the only ones I went to see.

When I lived in Boston, I used to occasionally hang out at the Scotch & Sirloin on Friday nites and - after a Celtics game - Bird, Ainge, DJ, McHale, etc. would casually mosey on in and sit down to dinner. Nice guys, all of 'em. Also was on a flight from Logan to Minneapolis to visit Westlaw (they were a huge client) and out of the first-class cabin saunters a Sequoia-sized guy with an infant in his freaky-long arms and 3 other little ones tugging on his pants-legs as he dragged them down the aisle to 'the potty', Kevin McHale. Really really nice guy - stayed in coach most of the flight and chatted up the flight attendants and fellow passengers - and, very surprisingly, smoked a cigarette or two! Also used to see Dave Cowens at Fenway Park all the time. And the thing to do - back in those days - if you were watching the game on TV, was to turn the volume down, turn on your radio, and listen to an entirely different game (than the one you thought you were seeing) being called by the legendary...

BTW, not sure why you (And Exiled) think it's wrong to back the Celtics - The Dean has a better take on this than I do, but it's my understanding that the current Celtics franchise is actually the old Buffalo Braves!

And, the Clippers are the old Celtics - all I know is something terribly confusing happened in the whole 'franchise-swap' of John Y. Brown and Ira Levin...

By the summer of 1976, the team's founding owner Paul Snyder was doing all he could to sell the team. The June 15, 1976 issue of Buffalo's Courier-Express blasted the headline "Braves Go to Florida, Leaving 'Hockey Town'." Snyder had a handshake deal to sell the team to Mr. and Mrs. Irving Cowan, who would move the Braves to Hollywood, Florida, yet the City of Buffalo filed a $10 million damage suit to block the move. The sale eventually fell through and the Braves and the city signed a new 15 year Memorial Auditorium lease in July with a provision that the lease could be voided if the team did not sell 5,000 season tickets in any season. Later that summer Snyder finally sold 50 percent of the franchise to businessman John Y. Brown, Jr., who had previously owned the Kentucky Colonels of the American Basketball Association. Brown later acquired the remaining half from Snyder sometime in the 1976–77 season. ...

Because of the team's poor play in its final two years (30–52 in 1976–77 and 27–55 in 1977–78), along with rumors of the franchise relocating because of low season ticket sales, John Y. Brown met with the Celtics' then-owner, Irv Levin and negotiated a deal in which the owners would swap franchises, with Brown taking control of the Celtics while Levin would get the Braves. Levin was a California businessman, and wanted to own an NBA team in his native state. The deal was brokered by David Stern, the general counsel for the NBA who would go on to later become the league's current commissioner. Following what would be the final season in western New York, the NBA owners voted 21–1 to let the Braves relocate. As Levin wanted, the Buffalo Braves moved to San Diego, California after the 1977–78 season, and became the San Diego Clippers.

(from Wiki)

Also see...

Are the old Braves really the new Celtics? (from buffalobraves.net)

When the Braves left Buffalo, there was a franchise swap between the team's owners (John Y. Brown and Harry Mangurian) and the owner of the Boston Celtics ( Irv Levin). The NBA wants us to believe that the Braves became the Clippers and moved to San Diego. However, there are also reports that the Braves actually legally became the Celtics and Celtics legally turned into the Clippers. In fact, Braves GM Bob MacKinnon was quoted as saying "The old Braves are the new Celtics and the new Clippers are the old Celtics. When I joined the Celtics with John Y Brown, I didn't have to fill out a W-4 form, but Red Auerbach did."

We at BuffaloBraves.net understand that it would be difficult, to say the least, to rewrite history but the loyal Braves fans worldwide deserve to know if the legal legacy of their team was actually the Celtics (who have won 3 world championships since "they left Buffalo") or the lowly Clippers, who were selected by Sports Illustrated as the worst run franchise in American sports history. What's keeping the true story from being told? Perhaps because the lead attorney on the deal was a promising young legal mind in the league office by the name of David Stern. Six years later Stern would become the most powerful commissioner in all of professional sports. His vision of international expansion of the league led to a team being place in Toronto, essentially killing any chance of NBA basketball returning to Buffalo.

So, BufTex, regardless of what EII admonishes, IMO you and I can shout it at the top of our lungs...

GO BRAVES CELTICS!!!!!

I lived in NYC from 1987-1991. I used to go to a lot of Knicks games, but tickets to see the Knicks/Celtics were always tough back then, as both teams were very good (Knicks were good in that crappy Pat Reily Knicks kind of way)...anyways, my girlfriend, for Christmas, gave me the Larry Bird auto-biograpy "Drive". Tucked inside, were two lower level tickets to see the Celtics play the New Jersey Nets. Not the Knicks, but the Nets. Her dad, a prominent Montclair businessmen, had a connection for great seats...I had seen the Bird/Parrish/McHale Celtics about 5 times, live, at MSG, but never so close up.

So, anyways, we get there as early as possible, to watch the shoot-around. I was determined to get Larry Bird to sign my book. I got as close as I could, and kept holding my book up, shouting "Larry...Larry", Sharpie in hand. I was only about 20-25 ft away from him...I got a big mouth, I know he can hear me..but he just kept shooting...he wouldn't turn his head toward the bleachers. This went on for about 45 minutes...Bird was unflappable...he wasn't giving anything up, for anyone...total game face, even 2 hours before the game...

Anyways, the players go back in the locker room for a while, and as the arena fills up, they are ready for the player introductions. I was bummed that I didn't get Birds signature. "Hell", I decide, I will give it one more shot. A long shot...I go over, and lean over the rail, where the Celtics are standing in the tunnel, watching the Nets get introduced. I am literally 10 ft away from Bird. "Larry..Larry..sign my book" I yell one more time. Bird wouldn't flinch. Finally, a huge hand reaches up, takes my book and the Sharpie...I look down, it is Kevin McHale...he is laughing..."here you go buddy" and he hands the book back to me, along with my Sharpie. I look at the book, and Kevin McHale wrote "Larry Bird" across the front of my book...he didn't even try to make it a good forgery...it was awesome...I still have it...every once in awhile, I have a hard time explaining that I have Kevin McHales version of Larry Birds autograph. I had a blast that night, and the Celtics destroyed the Nets...Bird didn't even play that much, as that was the beginning of all his back problems.

I also had the thrill of meeting Robert Parrish, when the C's were in New York, during a playoff series. He came into the Tower Records store I worked at (on the recommendation of Patrick Ewing, a frequent customer)....he was pretty low key, but gave me an autograph. I had met Kareem once, at the store, and he would not sign autographs for white people. "That's cool" I told him, "I'm a Celtics fan anyways ..."

Finally, had the opportunity to meet Dennis Johnson (my favorite) when he coached the Austin Toros, here in town. I went to a game, just to meet him. He was great...sadly, he died just a few months later...

BTW- I think EII's argument against the Celtics is, the Celtics owner wanted to own a team on the west coast, and the NBA accommodated him by sacrificing our Braves, for his whim.

Edited by Buftex

I lived in NYC from 1987-1991. I used to go to a lot of Knicks games, but tickets to see the Knicks/Celtics were always tough back then, as both teams were very good (Knicks were good in that crappy Pat Reily Knicks kind of way)...anyways, my girlfriend, for Christmas, gave me the Larry Bird auto-biograpy "Drive". Tucked inside, were two lower level tickets to see the Celtics play the New Jersey Nets. Not the Knicks, but the Nets. Her dad, a prominent Montclair businessmen, had a connection for great seats...I had seen the Bird/Parrish/McHale Celtics about 5 times, live, at MSG, but never so close up.

So, anyways, we get there as early as possible, to watch the shoot-around. I was determined to get Larry Bird to sign my book. I got as close as I could, and kept holding my book up, shouting "Larry...Larry", Sharpie in hand. I was only about 20-25 ft away from him...I got a big mouth, I know he can hear me..but he just kept shooting...he wouldn't turn his head toward the bleachers. This went on for about 45 minutes...Bird was unflappable...he wasn't giving anything up, for anyone...total game face, even 2 hours before the game...

Anyways, the players go back in the locker room for a while, and as the arena fills up, they are ready for the player introductions. I was bummed that I didn't get Birds signature. "Hell", I decide, I will give it one more shot. A long shot...I go over, and lean over the rail, where the Celtics are standing in the tunnel, watching the Nets get introduced. I am literally 10 ft away from Bird. "Larry..Larry..sign my book" I yell one more time. Bird wouldn't flinch. Finally, a huge hand reaches up, takes my book and the Sharpie...I look down, it is Kevin McHale...he is laughing..."here you go buddy" and he hands the book back to me, along with my Sharpie. I look at the book, and Kevin McHale wrote "Larry Bird" across the front of my book...he didn't even try to make it a good forgery...it was awesome...I still have it...every once in awhile, I have a hard time explaining that I have Kevin McHales version of Larry Birds autograph. I had a blast that night, and the Celtics destroyed the Nets...Bird didn't even play that much, as that was the beginning of all his back problems.

I also had the thrill of meeting Robert Parrish, when the C's were in New York, during a playoff series. He came into the Tower Records store I worked at (on the recommendation of Patrick Ewing, a frequent customer)....he was pretty low key, but gave me an autograph. I had met Kareem once, at the store, and he would not sign autographs for white people. "That's cool" I told him, "I'm a Celtics fan anyways ..."

Finally, had the opportunity to meet Dennis Johnson (my favorite) when he coached the Austin Toros, here in town. I went to a game, just to meet him. He was great...sadly, he died just a few months later...

BTW- I think EII's argument against the Celtics is, the Celtics owner wanted to own a team on the west coast, and the NBA accommodated him by sacrificing our Braves, for his whim.

That is a great story about McHale!.....Did Kareem actually say he didn't sign for white people?

You are bringing back great memories - I used to see 'The Chief' occasionally at some high-end 'Euro' club (can't think of the name of it to save my life) in the Sheraton-Copley Place - here's my all-time favorite Parrish moment...

DJ was one of the nicest guys - very sad to see him pass.

(BTW - I used to see Ewing hanging out at the video parlor on M Street when he was at Georgetown...God, I'm old! :cry: )

That is a great story about McHale!.....Did Kareem actually say he didn't sign for white people?

No, he didn't say it, he just did it. It was very obvious. It was right after his vaunted Jazz vinyl collection had been destroyed in a fire...a cold, wet, rainy Sunday morning. The store was pretty empty...I bent over backwards to help him find things, and spent quite a bit of time. I just happened to have an NBA magazine in my work locker, with he and Magic on the cover. It had been there for some time. I asked him to sign it. He wasn't particularly pleasent before that, but seemed really annoyed by that request. We had a very ethnically diverse staff...he was more than happy to sign autographs for anyone who wasn't...uh...pale.

I don't hold it against him, it is his right. I thought I was being considerate of him, he shopped for about an hour, I found stuff in the store for him, and he was getting close to checking out. I didn't really think twice about it, until he made a point to sign for all of the security staff...even got his picture taken with some of them.

They all got a kick out of it...most were Knicks or Bulls fans. Nobody really liked the Lakers, but the fact that I was an un-abashed Celtics fan made it all the more funny. At first, I thought they may have put Kareem up to it, like pointed out to him that I was a Celtics fan...but that was not the case. I later heard similar stories from others.

I think Kareem has eased up considerably, the further he has gotten from his playing days...funny thing is, when I was a kid, I had the chance to see him play in Buffalo, against the Braves, as a Milwaukee Buck. I don't remember all the details of the game (though I sort of remember Dale Schluter, sort of the Braves version of Jerry Korab, getting into fisticuffs with a Bucks player), but I do remember everyone making a big deal out of the fact that Kareem was in town.

Funny...it is all coming back to me now...there really was a stigma to being a white Celtics fan back then. I am sure it still holds true for some...when I lived in NYC, I almost felt, at times, I was risking my life by sporting a Celtics t-shirt in public. Once, I went to a Knicks/Celtics game...we were sitting up in the nose-bleeds. I took off my coat, and within moments, was pelted with garbage, and half-eaten hot-dogs...pretty silly, but it only fueled my passion for that team more. The fact that the Knicks were (and continue to be) such a joke made it all the better...

You are bringing back great memories - I used to see 'The Chief' occasionally at some high-end 'Euro' club (can't think of the name of it to save my life) in the Sheraton-Copley Place - here's my all-time favorite Parrish moment...

DJ was one of the nicest guys - very sad to see him pass.

(BTW - I used to see Ewing hanging out at the video parlor on M Street when he was at Georgetown...God, I'm old! :cry: )

That was an amazing series...Bird stealing the ball from Isiah is still one of my all-time top sports moments...who knew, it would, for all intents and purposes, be the last hurrah for those great Celtics teams of the 80's? They still made some runs after that, but were quite the threat that they had been.

Edited by Buftex

No, he didn't say it, he just did it. It was very obvious. It was right after his vaunted Jazz vinyl collection had been destroyed in a fire...a cold, wet, rainy Sunday morning. The store was pretty empty...I bent over backwards to help him find things, and spent quite a bit of time. I just happened to have an NBA magazine in my work locker, with he and Magic on the cover. It had been there for some time. I asked him to sign it. He wasn't particularly pleasent before that, but seemed really annoyed by that request. We had a very ethnically diverse staff...he was more than happy to sign autographs for anyone who wasn't...uh...pale.

I don't hold it against him, it is his right. I thought I was being considerate of him, he shopped for about an hour, I found stuff in the store for him, and he was getting close to checking out. I didn't really think twice about it, until he made a point to sign for all of the security staff...even got his picture taken with some of them.

They all got a kick out of it...most were Knicks or Bulls fans. Nobody really liked the Lakers, but the fact that I was an un-abashed Celtics fan made it all the more funny. At first, I thought they may have put Kareem up to it, like pointed out to him that I was a Celtics fan...but that was not the case. I later heard similar stories from others.

I think Kareem has eased up considerably, the further he has gotten from his playing days...funny thing is, when I was a kid, I had the chance to see him play in Buffalo, against the Braves, as a Milwaukee Buck. I don't remember all the details of the game (though I sort of remember Dale Schluter, sort of the Braves version of Jerry Korab, getting into fisticuffs with a Bucks player), but I do remember everyone making a big deal out of the fact that Kareem was in town.

Funny...it is all coming back to me now...there really was a stigma to being a white Celtics fan back then. I am sure it still holds true for some...when I lived in NYC, I almost felt, at times, I was risking my life by sporting a Celtics t-shirt in public. Once, I went to a Knicks/Celtics game...we were sitting up in the nose-bleeds. I took off my coat, and within moments, was pelted with garbage, and half-eaten hot-dogs...pretty silly, but it only fueled my passion for that team more. The fact that the Knicks were (and continue to be) such a joke made it all the better...

That was an amazing series...Bird stealing the ball from Isiah is still one of my all-time top sports moments...who knew, it would, for all intents and purposes, be the last hurrah for those great Celtics teams of the 80's? They still made some runs after that, but were quite the threat that they had been.

We used to joke - morbidly - for years, 'Lenny Bias is still killing the Celtics!' As you know, he was to be 'the franchise' after Bird, and Red's last great stroke of genius - as defending NBA champs, trading Gerald Henderson to Seattle for their draft pick that became the lottery pick that landed Bias. Reggie Lewis' tragic and untimely death also set the team back years. I always thought Bird would end up running the show after he finished up as coach and GM in Indiana - never would have guessed Ainge would be the guy to rebuild the Celtics back to 'NBA powerhouse' status.

BTW - Lew Alcindor was on 'Celebrity Jeopardy' a while back, got a question 'served up just for him' about one of his own lines from the movie Airplane, and got the answer wrong! :lol:

link