11th Hour of 11th Day of 11th Month

/dev/null

It's been a long time since 4th grade history but I seem to recall that this day was started to commemorate Armistice Day (the end of world war I). It was supposed to be a somber day to "remember" those allies (not just the USA) who lost their lives in battle. So, hearing someone say "Happy" Veterans Day sounds very weird to me.

I stand open for correction.

Edited by aussiew

It's been a long time since 4th grade history but I seem to recall that this day was started to commemorate Armistice Day (the end of world war I). It was supposed to be a somber day to "remember" those allies (not just the USA) who lost their lives in battle. So, hearing someone say "Happy" Veterans Day sounds very weird to me.

You are correct.

Even though fighting didn't even end until 10 days after the armistice.

To me Veterans Day is to ''remember'' all members of the military past and present all over the world. I agree "Happy" might not be the best of terms.

For all the Vets :beer:

+ 1 and a Toast to all Vets past and present!!

You started this thread 9 minutes too early!

Happy Veterans Day fellas.

Actually if my memory is right... i thought it was the "eleventh hour" meaning 11pm (I dont think the military used the 24 hour clock then)

But none the less, happy veteran's day to all the bretheren out there, thanks for serving and Godspeed :beer:.