Signing 2011 draft picks

1B4IDie

The NFLPA has told the players prepare for a lockout because it all but certain there will be a lockout, they just don't know if it will be 12 days or 12 months.

When I think about the 2011 draft and the looming lockout, I don't understand why an owner would sign a drafted player until the CBA is finalized.

If owners know they are going to lockout players why would they sign and pay huge money to rookies that won't play?

They don't lose anything by waiting until the Lockout is over to sign rookies, they own the rights until the next draft (see Michael Crabtree incident).

One of the major issues in the labor negotiations is rookie salary cap, the NFLPA isn't completely opposed to some sort of rookie salary cap. So again why would a team pay the #1 pick 65+ mil in guaranteed money with a huge signing bonus then lock the players out, partly in order to fix the huge Round 1 salaries?

Can someone please point out where I might be missing something? To me it seems like Sam Bradford received the last gigantic Pick #1 contract.

Edited by Levitre + Wang = Wood

Good post.

My thoughts is that the new CBA would not be retroactive and therefor only apply to rookie classes in 2012 and beyond.

My other concern is for someone like Luck. Let's say we draft him and there is a lockout for the whole season, then ends in January.what would stop a player from not wanting to sign then, to re-enter the draft with hopes of going to another team?

Again, just thoughts

the article i read a while ago said that there will be a draft in April, but no free agency, and no negotiation of any kind with draftees. The Lockout will start after the SB, combine as usual, draft. Just no FA and no signing draftpicks...

The problem i see with this, is that a team wont be able to address needs in FA, then fill remaining holes in draft. I will effect bad teams more than good ones I think.

Edit: I found a link to the article...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-laborquestions090810

Edited by Zona

the article i read a while ago said that there will be a draft in April, but no free agency, and no negotiation of any kind with draftees. The Lockout will start after the SB, combine as usual, draft. Just no FA and no signing draftpicks...

The problem i see with this, is that a team wont be able to address needs in FA, then fill remaining holes in draft. I will effect bad teams more than good ones I think.

Thats actually good news.

Do you have a link?

If the lockout starts that early, then its likely it can be resolved before training camp.

I think that the 2010 Free Agency hurt teams the worst. Player's that could have been Free Agents were Restricted Free Agents, Basically you had to be in the league for 6 years to be a Free Agent like Julian Peppers. Meaning there were only 28+ year old's in free agency.

Good news is unless the Bills signed 3 LBs and an OT in Free agency their needs wouldn't really change. I don't think delayed free agency will effect the 2011 Bills too much.

If the CBA is ironed out in April or May, I'd be very happy.

So if this is the case, does that mean teams will not be negotiating with rookies until the lockout is resolved? Because I don't see Ralph Wilson, or any owner, signing a top pick to a lucrative deal paying him 12 million for the upcoming season but not knowing if there will be any football that year. With all that uncertainty, there is a strong incentive for juniors and sophomores to stay in school for another year. Why come out if you don't know when that first paycheck will arrive?

So if this is the case, does that mean teams will not be negotiating with rookies until the lockout is resolved? Because I don't see Ralph Wilson, or any owner, signing a top pick to a lucrative deal paying him 12 million for the upcoming season but not knowing if there will be any football that year. With all that uncertainty, there is a strong incentive for juniors and sophomores to stay in school for another year. Why come out if you don't know when that first paycheck will arrive?

Right, Thats kind of the reason for this thread.

I don't see how owners would draw up any huge contract for the 2011 draft.

Thats why I doubt that Luck or Mallet or anyone will eligibility left will come out in the 2011 draft.

You'll be drafted to the picket lines for the NFLPA.

Unless I'm missing something, which I may be, it seems a lot more likely the Top tier undergrads will stay in a year until the CBA is straightened out.

Actually, for a team that has said they will build through the draft and fill holes through FA, this order seems to suit the Bills better. I've always thought it made more sense to do it this way. You don't know what's going to happen in the draft, and outside of giving up the farm, you don't have any control over it. But if you draft first, you know exactly who to target in FA and how aggressive to be.