Printer question

Jim in Anchorage

I need a new printer and have noticed wireless HP units for $80. My demands on a printer are minimal, just a few text documents a month, so I'm sure it would be adequate. Question is, my PC is 7 years old and can't receive wireless router signals without some sort of thumb size gadget plugged into it. So hows that going to work the other way,sending signals to a printer? Should it work as is or will some sort of add on be needed? Is it likely the add on will come with the printer or will I need to buy it separately?

I am buying this at Cosco so I don't think I'll get a lot of technical help there. Thanks

The printer connects wirelessly to your router. Your computer should be able to find it on your home network.

I highly recommend Brother printers. The ink cartridges for mine are about $2 each on ebay. I haven't had a problem with a generic cartridge since I bought the printer 2 years ago. We probably print a couple of hundred pages a month on it, and I have never had any issues. Not sure if they still make my model but it is MFC-465CN.

I would check the minimum system requirements for the printer first to make sure your system can handle it. HP printer software can be a huge pain in the ass and if you have an old system, it will likely bog it down. If you don't need the wireless then stay away from it and just use a usb cable.

The printer connects wirelessly to your router. Your computer should be able to find it on your home network.

I highly recommend Brother printers. The ink cartridges for mine are about $2 each on ebay. I haven't had a problem with a generic cartridge since I bought the printer 2 years ago. We probably print a couple of hundred pages a month on it, and I have never had any issues. Not sure if they still make my model but it is MFC-465CN.

I can second Brother -- I've had the same Brother laser printer since 2001 and it's still kicking. My wife got through grad school (printing a TON of crap), and I'm 1/3 of the way through grad school (a TON of printing), and while it squeaks, it still prints great. Laser is SO much better than inkjet. I'm on my 2nd toner cartridge in 8 years. Much better than ink refills.

• 1 month later...