Carnival Cruise Loses Power at Sea

Rob's House

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20101110/D9JD8G500.html

I was on a Carnival Cruise in Jan 2000 when the engine room caught on fire. The main power went out and for the next 36 hrs or so there were no flushing toilets and very little food and water passed around. They towed us into the port at Jamaica around noon, where we anxiously awaited our departure...for 9 !@#$ing hours. They didn't want to let us off for fear the news media would get wind of the story before they could contain it.

The news version was white-washed bull ****. This time the media got the drop on them. In fairness I got a refund a free 7 day cruise, but the last 12 hrs of that ordeal sucked ass and I'll think real long and hard before taking another Carnival cruise. Especially in light of this.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://apnews.myway..../D9JD8G500.html

I was on a Carnival Cruise in Jan 2000 when the engine room caught on fire. The main power went out and for the next 36 hrs or so there were no flushing toilets and very little food and water passed around. They towed us into the port at Jamaica around noon, where we anxiously awaited our departure...for 9 !@#$ing hours. They didn't want to let us off for fear the news media would get wind of the story before they could contain it.

The news version was white-washed bull ****. This time the media got the drop on them. In fairness I got a refund a free 7 day cruise, but the last 12 hrs of that ordeal sucked ass and I'll think real long and hard before taking another Carnival cruise. Especially in light of this.

Really? Tell you what, I'd rather be stuck on a cruise ship than on an airplane. I was stuck on a plane for 4-5 hours a few years ago. That sucked worse.

Carnival is refunding tickets, giving a free voucher for a future cruise, and reimbursing travel expenses.... Sounds fine to me, especially in this recent case where everything works but the AC and the hot water!

Can't wait for my cruise in a couple of weeks though - and if I'm lucky, it'll break down one of the last days and I'll get refunds too .:) Mine's with RCI though, not Carnival.

Really? Tell you what, I'd rather be stuck on a cruise ship than on an airplane. I was stuck on a plane for 4-5 hours a few years ago. That sucked worse.

Carnival is refunding tickets, giving a free voucher for a future cruise, and reimbursing travel expenses.... Sounds fine to me, especially in this recent case where everything works but the AC and the hot water!

Can't wait for my cruise in a couple of weeks though - and if I'm lucky, it'll break down one of the last days and I'll get refunds too .:) Mine's with RCI though, not Carnival.

The refund and vouchers were straight. The problem is when you crushed a box of beer the night before and have to take a **** in the worst of ways, and there's no way to flush. That's a bummer.

You should be fine with RCI, I see these stories in the news every so often and it's always a Carnival ship.

The refund and vouchers were straight. The problem is when you crushed a box of beer the night before and have to take a **** in the worst of ways, and there's no way to flush. That's a bummer.

You should be fine with RCI, I see these stories in the news every so often and it's always a Carnival ship.

I've been on RCI and Celebrity before, so I'm not worried. :)

the most important piece of information i need before i can make a judgement on this situation...

Were the bars on the ship still open?

For a while, but for the last 12 hrs or so everything was pretty much shut down. At one point they briefly put out a slack buffet right next to the unflushable community toilet that was packed to the top and provided an odoriferous emination that turned the stomach.

6 hours for me on the tarmac, before a 14 hour flight. So all together, 20 hours on the plane.

For a while, but for the last 12 hrs or so everything was pretty much shut down. At one point they briefly put out a slack buffet right next to the unflushable community toilet that was packed to the top and provided an odoriferous emination that turned the stomach.

If the bar was open i would care less and just enjoy being on vacation.

if the bar was closed... i would be upset

:blush:

I'll have you know that my last cruise went without a hitch. Except for the hurricane, but you can't blame me for that.

Can you?

No we won't blame the hurricane on you but we absolutely will blame the breakdown of the radar system on the ship that caused the damn thing to sail right into the hurricane. I'm never flying with you .

You would think that they would be required to have better back up power supply to run water, refrigeration, and toilet systems.

All of the articles I've read say that they have water (cold) and toilet systems running just fine.

6 hours for me on the tarmac, before a 14 hour flight. So all together, 20 hours on the plane.

:blink: :blink: Yuck!