Jon Miler and Joe Morgan off Sunday Night Baseball

bbb

Just after we were talking in the playoff thread about how great Jon Miller is. I saw on aol, espn getting rid of announcing team, and it could have been any other team, and I'd be OK with it. But, not losing these two. Ridiculous:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5782045

Morgan annoyed me from time to time, but Miller is absolutely great. I'm sure he'll find a home at the MLB network if he's not ready for retirement. What is ESPN thinking?

Morgan annoyed me from time to time, but Miller is absolutely great. I'm sure he'll find a home at the MLB network if he's not ready for retirement. What is ESPN thinking?

I don't think he'll be retiring. He's younger than he looks - like 57 or so. (I know you're about 20, so that must seem like a total geezer, but I think Vin Scully is in his 80s, and lot of baseball announcers worked until very old ages).

Plus, he already is the usual play by play guy for the SF Giants. ESPN has offered him the Sunday Night radio (I think that would be essentially trading places with the current guy). I hope he takes it because I'd love still hear him every Sunday night. I liked listening to him and Morgan on the radio during the World Series more than I did listening to Buck/McCarver.

I don't think he'll be retiring. He's younger than he looks - like 57 or so. (I know you're about 20, so that must seem like a total geezer, but I think Vin Scully is in his 80s, and lot of baseball announcers worked until very old ages).

Plus, he already is the usual play by play guy for the SF Giants. ESPN has offered him the Sunday Night radio (I think that would be essentially trading places with the current guy). I hope he takes it because I'd love still hear him every Sunday night. I liked listening to him and Morgan on the radio during the World Series more than I did listening to Buck/McCarver.

I knew the O's were screwed and Angelos was a dipchit when he fired Miller. Guess ESPN is no smarter than the ole Peter. Hope the same thing happens to that network that happened to O's once they fired Miller.

And they need to find a way to keep Scully alive forever because that voice should never go away.

And they need to find a way to keep Scully alive forever because that voice should never go away.

Only on the radio. When I'm watching on TV I don't need that incessant yammering. I watched one of the Dodger games on TV a couple of years ago and I was shocked that I found myself yelling at the TV: "Scully, would you shut the !@#$ up!!" :cry:

I wish I had the link, but I heard Bob Costas on his radio show do a Vin impersonation (and iirc he was actually using somebody's else's routine). It was absolutely hysterical. It was this super long winded story, that lasts the whole inning, with a little bit of baseball play by play thrown in there.

Only on the radio. When I'm watching on TV I don't need that incessant yammering. I watched one of the Dodger games on TV a couple of years ago and I was shocked that I found myself yelling at the TV: "Scully, would you shut the !@#$ up!!" :cry:

But that's what baseball is all about. There's way too much time to not have filler like that. I say give him an equally ancient color guy and have them ramble on and on about baseball in the 20s. It would remind me of the lineup of ringers Mr. Burns originally put together in the softball episode of the Simpsons.

edit: And speaking of the Simpsons and impersonations of Scully, Hank Azaria's is awesome.

Edited by shrader

I wish I had the link, but I heard Bob Costas on his radio show do a Vin impersonation (and iirc he was actually using somebody's else's routine). It was absolutely hysterical. It was this super long winded story, that lasts the whole inning, with a little bit of baseball play by play thrown in there.

Ever hear Costas tell

about "Miss Cheesecake"?

:D

But that's what baseball is all about. There's way too much time to not have filler like that. I say give him an equally ancient color guy and have them ramble on and on about baseball in the 20s. It would remind me of the lineup of ringers Mr. Burns originally put together in the softball episode of the Simpsons.

edit: And speaking of the Simpsons and impersonations of Scully, Hank Azaria's is awesome.

I don't need someone telling me about the pitcher's father's cousin who had a dog in 1957 who love to watch baseball while I'm watching the chess match between the pitcher, batter, catcher, guy on first etc, etc.

Have you heard Jon Miller's impersonation of Vin Scully? He's quite good at it.