entrepreneur / franchise advice

drinkTHEkoolaid

Just hoping for some advice, ideas etc.. from those that have "been there done that" or who just have good ideas.

Basically I have decided I want to work for myself and open some type of business or franchise. The immediate problems I need to overcome are no available down payment and lack of start up funds. (yes thats a big problem)

If you were to start up a business (or franchise) for minimal starting expenses what would you pick and why? How did you go about it?

any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

how to get there from here? First what business are you interested in? Do you have experience, skills, knowledge, education or a particular skill that lends itself to success in this business? If not...how do you go about getting it? Working in the field might be a start. Network and make real contacts (not necessarily or exclusively the folks "marketing" the product. Research the field and talk with existing franchisors about their experiences. Due diligence is critical.

Financing? Family and friends might be the best way to go.

Make sure you've fully researched all the obligations and requirements of running a business. Depending on where you live, the burdens can be financially onerous and time consuming.

Also be prepared for 7 day/80 hour work weeks and the impact that has on the rest of your life. If you don't have much capital, you won't be hiring many other people to help run the business.

Owning your own business always sounds great, and if you do it right it is, but it requires a lot of risk taking and a lot of work. Don't go into it because you think in ten years you'll be sitting back with a cold one while other people do all the work and the money just tumbles in.

I can't tell you what to do, but I can relate my own experience. I'm a pretty good audio producer and these days all you need is a laptop and decent mic to do most things. So I started a side business while I was still gainfully employed. Almost no upfront costs. Over a year I grew to the point where I said bye bye to the job. 7 years later I'm doing okay. Not rich but making as much as I did when I was working stiff, but I have the benefit of doing it all my way. My client list grew by word-of-mouth.

The biggest mistake I think is investing a crapload of money then praying it pays off. Another friend started making kettle corn in a wagon at fairs. Now he has two retail locations and a thriving wholesale business too. Again, small investment of money, then gave it time to grow.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just hoping for some advice, ideas etc.. from those that have "been there done that" or who just have good ideas.

Basically I have decided I want to work for myself and open some type of business or franchise. The immediate problems I need to overcome are no available down payment and lack of start up funds. (yes thats a big problem)

If you were to start up a business (or franchise) for minimal starting expenses what would you pick and why? How did you go about it?

any advice would be appreciated, thanks :)

Can't really help with that that. But, I'd suggest that if you just want to start a new business, but really have no idea (or care) what type of business; then you're going about it the wrong way.

Score.org is a spot that has quite a bit of good info though to get you started, if/when you decide on something you want to do.