(OT) So Where IS This Untaxed Paradise ?

Mark VI

Fredericksburg, VA is a great place to live, aside from the prices of housing, which have increased 20-25% annually for the past several years (actually great for me since I have over 100k in equity). Property taxes are low, and we probably have some of the lowest gas prices in the nation; 1.66 for a gallon of regular as of this morning.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can just hear Johnny Rivers belting out that classic tune...sweet.

Never been to Tennessee.... Nice ?

153300[/snapback]

Beautiful part of the country Mark. You owe it to yourself to check it out.

OK. New York State is a tax happy hell hole to live.

How much better is it where you live ? Taxes ? Crime ? Housing Costs ? Population ? Good people ? Schools ? Weather ? Economy ? Yada yada yada...

Ejamacate me on this " Paradise " you folks live in. I may move in a few years and would like to know where Paradise is located ?

153203[/snapback]

Can't help you on Paradise, but since Buffalo is on the wrong end of national averages in almost every economic indicator (Income per capita, Household income, unemployment rate, recent job growth, projected job growth, sales taxes, income taxes) it is a valid concern.

Buffalo is way, way below national averages in housing costs, but property taxes are higher than average and appreciation is lower - something that you would need to take into consideration. But at those prices, I wouldn't think it's a deal breaker.

Crime rate actually appears high (above national average per 100,000 people for both violent and property crimes), but this is far less likely to be an issue if you're not living in an urban area of WNY. I'm sure that the burbs don't have anywhere near the crime rate.

Buffalo schools spend more than the national average per student, and have a lower pupil-to-teacher ratio. Unfortunately, it is below the national averages in the number of people over the age of 25 with HS/GED, 4yr degrees, or PHD's - those people have apparently moved after graduating.

Buffalo's climate - well, what can you say. I think this perceived as another deal breaker for a lot of people, but I'm not so sure that's true. Obviously a lot more cloudy days and precipitation than many places, and a lot more freezing days, but on the other hand, very comfortable temps through the summer when a lot of paradises are suffocatingly hot. But they don't have to deal with the below freezing temps through the winter, so choose your poison. Given better economic indicators, I don't think this would be as big an issue.

All in all, I'd say it's the economy/taxes that does it for most people who decide to move out (or not move back). That's a pretty big issue, and can't be ignored.

I paid $150K for a 2000 sq ft. house that is 3 years old. My taxes are high (4400) but the schools are great. I'm on an acre of land. I've been at my job for four years now and it's very stable.

While I complain about the taxes as everyone else here does, I'm pleased that I found a job doing what I like with a good company. Most of my family is here and that was important for me to be around. Sure things could be better....but I'm content.

Let's say for the sake of argument you're a new parent.

your baby uses up 1-2 cans of formula a week at about $20 a can. She also uses up diapers at a rate of one pack a week approx $10.

153274[/snapback]

So by breastfeeding, my wife is saving us $20/week...$80/month? Man, this new baby thing kinda pays for itself. :D

My sister lives in WNY.

When I visited there last year, she showed me her home electric bill.

When I came back home, I compared her numbers against my bill.

My electric bill here is Texas averages out to 6.7 cents per kwH (includes taxes and fees).

Her electric bill had taxes and fees equivalent to 8.0 cents per kwH.

In other words, the TAXES on her electric bill were more than the TOTAL COST of my electric bill.

I bought mine for LESS than 100K in the Town Of Tonawanda. I live in a nice neighborhood. Huge backyard.

153269[/snapback]

My 2400 sq. ft. 4 bedroom with 9.5 acres was under $100K too...but I'm out in nowhereville...

Riddle me this batman. Where else in the world can I move where I can get a decent 3 bedroom house in the suberbs for $150k?  If you brought a suitcase full of cash containing $150k and tried to buy a 1bdrm house in WPB, you would get laughed out the door.

But keep bitching. The grass is always greener on the other side. :D

153249[/snapback]

I've lived in Florida for almost as long as you've been alive Steve, you're wrong on this one, with regard to Florida overall. I've lived in Tampa, Orlando, Naples, and Clearwater Florida. Plenty of places to live that are cost effective. Along with earning a good living. At 25 you sure know alot about Florida, living here for all of a couple years.

OK. New York State is a tax happy hell hole to live.

How much better is it where you live ? Taxes ? Crime ? Housing Costs ? Population ? Good people ? Schools ? Weather ? Economy ? Yada yada yada...

Ejamacate me on this " Paradise " you folks live in. I may move in a few years and would like to know where Paradise is located ?

153203[/snapback]

Costa Rica.

...nowhereville is cool...anywhere around Batavia, Route 63..

153352[/snapback]

Yeah...unless you like all those damn trucks using Route 63 as a shortcut from 390 in order to avoid the Thruway tolls. :D

Yeah...unless you like all those damn trucks using Route 63 as a shortcut from 390 in order to avoid the Thruway tolls. :D

153357[/snapback]

True. I grew up on 19 in LeRoy, and they'd go 390-63-19 too.