Cat-5 wire for cable modem, how far will it run signal?

boyst

Well, normally I would spend the time needed to find out the answer but currently am running out of time. I opened a trench for water and cable tv to my main work shed. I spoke to an electrician who works with/for me on projects and he can get cat-5 wire suitable to bury. My shed is 360' from the location which it will branch from the cable modem. So, call it 400' to make sure. Will a cat-5 internet wire carry the power/signal to the shed? I would continue looking but I have to let him know by 5 to have it ready for tomorrow.

If you want more of a challenge, here's another variable you can add, going the other direction a train is traveling at 50mph, at that speed how many apples will I have left in the bucket? Thanks!

295 feet seems to be the limit.

Maybe there is a wireless solution?

PTR

I have seen on several sites that it is 90m, some say it can go 120m, too, though.

I have about 3 buildings in between A and B as well as sloping land. The option of putting a relay in is somewhat available but I do not know if I want so spend the money to do so... Also, wasn't sure if there was anything else besides cat5e to use that are as economical. I am doing this mostly as preparing for the future while I have the line open.

I have seen on several sites that it is 90m, some say it can go 120m, too, though.

I have about 3 buildings in between A and B as well as sloping land. The option of putting a relay in is somewhat available but I do not know if I want so spend the money to do so... Also, wasn't sure if there was anything else besides cat5e to use that are as economical. I am doing this mostly as preparing for the future while I have the line open.

You could also go wireless and add a repeater and do that anytime.

You could also go wireless and add a repeater and do that anytime.

My biggest concern is that between A and B none of the buildings are heated or cooled. They will face temps between -10 to 110 at the extremes for this part of NC. A wireless router or wifi repeater (N or dualband) would work but I am hesistant to make it too complicated. The other option is to use the time warner coaxil and than use a seperate modem but I am not sure it will be possible and think it costs more monthly to do this. I hope I can get it good enough that it will serve its purpose and figure if I do not do it now than in 5 years I will regret it.

My biggest concern is that between A and B none of the buildings are heated or cooled. They will face temps between -10 to 110 at the extremes for this part of NC.

Even if you heated/cooled the buildings the cable might not hold up too well in -10. And you'll have to worry about moisture from condensation inside the conduit (you do realize that you can't just run the cable thru the ground).

Will you put it in PVC? I suggest you do... Put in an extra pipe... So you cazn always pull more if you need. Why not? The cost isn't great and the ground is already dug up.

Even if you heated/cooled the buildings the cable might not hold up too well in -10. And you'll have to worry about moisture from condensation inside the conduit (you do realize that you can't just run the cable thru the ground).

There are some cables that are UV-rated and can be buried.

That's great, but it does UV-rated keep out moisture, or getting tangled with roots, or chewed up by farm critters, or asian carp?

I really don't know... I know it keeps out moisture. I usually pipe out... Yet, my cable TV was directly buried in the ground 15 years ago and is still going strong. Of course you gotta bury a bit deep (don't know the code down there)... Anyway, I wish my cable was piped... My whole house (electrical) is piped except phone and cable... Nowadays, I think they would... Or I would order it in properly colored coded conduit. Would make it so much easier to pull new phone and cable.

Remember who you are dealing with. I think he means UL[underwriter laboratory's] rated for Under Ground applications.

What is that crack supposed to mean? And yes I mean UV as in ULTRA VIOLET. What part is hard to understand that such cable is suitable for direct burial (sealed with proper connectors and what not)/outside use and doesn't degrade (rapidly) in the environment?

Of course UL goes along with that.

Lighten up and leave the agenda at home. Geesh!

Of course jboy... I would pipe out a run like that... If it were anyhting you were considering... I haven't looked up the fact on your specific application... Just giving my opinion on the run.

Here is quick Google:

http://www.firefold....rial-P2958.aspx

UV Rated Jacket (CMX), AL Foil & Water Proof Tape, for Outdoor Use with Drain Wire

Just hope you don't live in perma-frost land jboy... JIA: :nana:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Thanks for the input guys. I shared everything with my dad who is funding this, since he removed all the wiring that had existed prior. Pretty much we just took 2 8g wires and ran them from the house to the barn. Than we branched off from there to get power.

I pretty much told him what I gathered is if we bury the line without shielding it that it may only last 5-10 years. We could put it in pipe and get some more years out of it, still might. But, he probably had the best repsonse. Well, in 5 or 10 years technology will pretty much surpass the buried line anyway, so we'll just throw it in the ground. That's not my normal way of doing things, but if he's paying he can call the shots. I ran over 1200' of trenching all over the farm to about 7 buildings and 4 watering spots.

I am still looking at the option of just putting a cable modem at the end of the coaxil I am running - I am not sure that would work if it is not Time Warner. If I did put it in pipe I would get a relay in somwehere if I could. What sucks is that I can get Wifi at the same distance if I go uphill. There is no more refreshing way to use the internet then sitting in the middle of a pasture on a recliner with my laptop.

Thanks for the input guys. I shared everything with my dad who is funding this, since he removed all the wiring that had existed prior. Pretty much we just took 2 8g wires and ran them from the house to the barn. Than we branched off from there to get power.

I pretty much told him what I gathered is if we bury the line without shielding it that it may only last 5-10 years. We could put it in pipe and get some more years out of it, still might. But, he probably had the best repsonse. Well, in 5 or 10 years technology will pretty much surpass the buried line anyway, so we'll just throw it in the ground. That's not my normal way of doing things, but if he's paying he can call the shots. I ran over 1200' of trenching all over the farm to about 7 buildings and 4 watering spots.

I am still looking at the option of just putting a cable modem at the end of the coaxil I am running - I am not sure that would work if it is not Time Warner. If I did put it in pipe I would get a relay in somwehere if I could. What sucks is that I can get Wifi at the same distance if I go uphill. There is no more refreshing way to use the internet then sitting in the middle of a pasture on a recliner with my laptop.

You do have electrical service to the barn I take? Why not shield it in pipe and leave an extra pull tape in there... That way you can always use it for (if needed) electrical service if the you are not using the info cable anymore.. Or is that not feasible? I always like to leave myself room for upgrade... Even if it is for totally different function. Last week I just put a 20 amp GFCI (for my daughter's pool filter) on the one side of my house with a direct pipe run to my panel (new circuit with 20 amp breaker)... I situated things soas if I ever build a shed, I can supply power to the area easily.

If you're going to replace it in 5-10 years you'll have to dig it up and bury a new cable.

If you run conduit now, it's alot easier to remove in 5-10 years. Just cut one end and pull thru.

And if you're replacing the cable, when you cut the old cable tie a string between the old and new cable. That way when you pull the old cable thru you're pulling the new cable with it.

And your electrician buddy should already know this, but just in case you don't. Do not run cat5 in the same conduit as power. Running those two parallel to each other will create tons of interference

If you're going to replace it in 5-10 years you'll have to dig it up and bury a new cable.

If you run conduit now, it's alot easier to remove in 5-10 years. Just cut one end and pull thru.

And if you're replacing the cable, when you cut the old cable tie a string between the old and new cable. That way when you pull the old cable thru you're pulling the new cable with it.

And your electrician buddy should already know this, but just in case you don't. Do not run cat5 in the same conduit as power. Running those two parallel to each other will create tons of interference

They actually got cat6 much to my surprise. Originally they had planned cat5e capable of being buried. They looked over the plans and length and got a cat6 and it should not lose much if any. The TW engineer came out today to look it over and said we should be fine but we'll have to boost our coaxil.

For fun, some time, try explaining how a modem which creates VOIP tethered to a wifi router works to an old man. My dad does not get it entirely and is confused how something that ends in 6 (cat6 on cable) will work with something ending in a 5 (cat5 or router). Frustrating him even more was how it steps down 1/2 from 6 to 5. I may not know everything about about, well, anything, but when someone does not understand the benefits of using the latest in techonology, etc it bugs me! I had urged him strongly to cat5 the whole house if not cat6 because one day it will be worth it even if it gets lost between now and the full wireless generation. Glad I didn't mention fiber optics in the house!

Do not run cat5 in the same conduit as power. Running those two parallel to each other will create tons of interference

BINGO!

That is why I said this:

"That way you can always use it for (if needed) electrical service if the you are not using the info cable anymore."

Like Dev said jboy... Don't run both in the same conduit!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois