What Should I Watch Next?

ajzepp

So over the past several years, I've gone back and watched a popular television show once the episodes were on DVD, and I have really enjoyed doing it this way. This worked well for The Sopranos, 24, Firefly, and Lost. Last night I was excited to receive the first disc of the first season of Mad Men, but to be honest I was thoroughly bored and uninterested after the first episode. I know this show has a solid following and critical acclaim, but I don't know that I'm really interested in this one. That being said, I know there aer other shows - particularly cable series' - that many of you really enjoy. What are some of the shows you guys feel strongly about? I want to start a new one, and I'm relying on you guys to help me out again. Some of the suggestions I've already received are shows like Weeds, Dexter, The Wire, and Pushing up Daisies. Please chime in in support of these shows or let me know if you have another suggestion.

Kristin Chenoweth yum.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then you will love Pushing Daisies. Only 2 seasons too.

She was just on the Apprentice the other night with those babies hangin out. :blush:

You have any feedback on Mad Men or Friday Night Lights?

Well shiit man...I watched the first two episodes a while ago and stopped after that, lol. Now I may need to watch the rest of the first season since you said it gets better. Why do some of these shows suck so bad in the first episode or two?? I rely on them to set my level of interest dammit!

I have found that it takes a while for the actors to "become" the character on the show. I think that's why some of the first few episodes may not seem that good. But as the season moves on the actors get into the character and I think that's when the shows start getting more enjoyable. Just my take on it. :)

I have found that it takes a while for the actors to "become" the character on the show. I think that's why some of the first few episodes may not seem that good. But as the season moves on the actors get into the character and I think that's when the shows start getting more enjoyable. Just my take on it. :)

Sounds like a good take to me...I'm glad I talked to you guys about this topic then, cause it really takes a lot for me to have interest in a scripted series...glad to know you guys are able to help me figure out where to focus my energy :)

I like "Dexter" too, but, I gotta say...I think it has kind of run its' course. Maybe it is just me, but the characters are just so damn one dimensional, other than Dexter, it kind of leaves me not caring so much...I love the concept of the show, but I just wish it was a little more subtle...I have enjoyed each season less than the one before it.

She was just on the Apprentice the other night with those babies hangin out. :blush:

You have any feedback on Mad Men or Friday Night Lights?

I saw that, too hot! One of the episodes of Pushing Daisies Season 1, she does some serious low-cut jiggling, pretty amazing lol. I only got thru Season 1, Episode 1 of Mad Men, wasn't into it at all zzzzzzzzzz, maybe it gets better. Never saw Friday Night Lights, don't really want to either. Dexter is entertaining, but I'm stuck on Season 2 disc 2. True Blood is OK. All in all though, I'd rather watch a movie than a TV show any day of the week, better reality shows excepted... Amazing Race is great this year, cause I don't hate anyone that's left! Blonde Brooke the shopping channel host is my fav, I hope her & Claire win... but Id be cool with the doctors or Kevin & his dad (he cracks me up!) taking it too.

ETA: I liked the first few seasons or so of Nip/Tuck before they moved to Hollywood. If you've never seen it, rent Season 1 Disc 1, you'll know right away if you want to keep going.... and against my better judgment, I watched Chuck Season 1 earlier this year, blew thru all 3 discs pretty quick, funny stuff!

Edited by Rico

Dang, looks like there are a lot of good shows on tv these days! lol Thanks for the continued suggestions...adding each oen to my list for future reference :)

True blood I have seen a few times and really liked it. For some reason I didn't watch more than a couple episodes, but I see the potential there for sure.

I watched the 2nd episode of Mad Men last night and preferred it over the first. I'll continue watching the rest of the first disc of season one and then see how much interest I have to keep going.

As I posted in my other thread, I have The Walking Dead to watch now, too...I really enjoyed that last night.

I agree...while there is a lot more crap on tv than ever, I think the small screen has replaced the big screen, for quality, adult, stories. The dollars are so big in Hollywood now, there just isn't room for smaller, articulate, and complex stories, in movies, at least not Hollywood. There are fewer art houses... Some of the best actors, directors and screen writers are now in television. There was a time when no serious actor would consider doing a tv show, but now they are looking for one.

Edited by Buftex

Sounds like a good take to me...I'm glad I talked to you guys about this topic then, cause it really takes a lot for me to have interest in a scripted series...glad to know you guys are able to help me figure out where to focus my energy :)

I like "Dexter" too, but, I gotta say...I think it has kind of run its' course. Maybe it is just me, but the characters are just so damn one dimensional, other than Dexter, it kind of leaves me not caring so much...I love the concept of the show, but I just wish it was a little more subtle...I have enjoyed each season less than the one before it.

I was actually referring to all scripted TV shows in my post above. I have yet to see Dexter but it could be an exception to my "rule." :flirt:;) Some shows do start out good and then end up, well, bad and/or horrible. i.e... the new "V" show. :lol:

Ugh, that "V" show was a HUGE disappointment...

Well guys, I watched 3 episodes of Mad Men with a lady friend tonight...and...we loved em. I'm gonna stick with it a bit longer. This Don Draper guy is a pretty interesting fellow. I don't know if any of you remember season one, but the scene where the wife was looking at the family portraits that had just been taken was HILARIOUS!!! The look on Draper's face in those photos had me rolling...and then there was the little kid who Ms Draper babysat for the divorced neighbor...that kid has some issues lol

I'm gonna stick around through season one, I think...then decide from there.

I agree...while there is a lot more crap on tv than ever, I think the small screen has replaced the big screen, for quality, adult, stories. The dollars are so big in Hollywood now, there just isn't room for smaller, articulate, and complex stories, in movies, at least not Hollywood. There are fewer art houses... Some of the best actors, directors and screen writers are now in television. There was a time when no serious actor would consider doing a tv show, but now they are looking for one.

I've been very impressed with some of the better actors in hollywood gravitating toward tv series, I totally agree...that's partly what has led to my rekindled interest. Like Rico, I'm mostly a movie and sports guy. Over the past ten years or so, the only tv I've really watched was reality shows. I've just had some good experiences discovering some of the more reputable shows that you guys talk about from time to time, so I'm glad to be discovering some of these....better late to the party than never! :)

Cable TV is the main cause of this. Cable shows have the freedom to be more explicit with language, themes & sex than network TV does. That is a huge reason why bigger name actors are attracted to these projects.

I somewhat disagree with your take on Hollywood. Yes they do put a lot of crap out there, but they still make some good stuff as well, you just have to go look and find it.

Edited by MarkVaderr50

I somewhat disagree with your take on Hollywood. Yes they do put a lot of crap out there, but they still make some good stuff as well, you just have to go look and find it.

Agreed - there's a lot of good movies out there, just not the ones you see a million commercials.

I cannot believe no one has mentioned FRINGE. Written by "Mr. Lost" JJ Abrams himself, this is an AWESOME show with fantastic characters. AJ, I know your tastes in entertainment somewhat, so take it from me, get the first season on NETFLIX and check it out. There is even a character played by Leonard Nimoy himself. Don't waste anymore time, go get this NOW!!!!!

I cannot believe no one has mentioned FRINGE. Written by "Mr. Lost" JJ Abrams himself, this is an AWESOME show with fantastic characters. AJ, I know your tastes in entertainment somewhat, so take it from me, get the first season on NETFLIX and check it out. There is even a character played by Leonard Nimoy himself. Don't waste anymore time, go get this NOW!!!!!

That's the sci-fi one with Joshua Jackson, right? This show is one I've always wanted to check out based on the commercials...but never have. This might be a great way to go, thanks! Any idea of netflix has it on streaming? I'm at work and can't check....that would rock! I love when titles are availalbe that way :thumbsup:

That's the sci-fi one with Joshua Jackson, right? This show is one I've always wanted to check out based on the commercials...but never have. This might be a great way to go, thanks! Any idea of netflix has it on streaming? I'm at work and can't check....that would rock! I love when titles are availalbe that way :thumbsup:

Yes, it has Joshua Jackson and John Noble (Denethor II from LOTR). John Noble's character is one of the best acting jobs I have EVER seen. You will see this for yourself. Think X-Files (without the lame aliens crap) meets CSI.

No, sadly, it is not available streaming as of yet...

Yes, it has Joshua Jackson and John Noble (Denethor II from LOTR). John Noble's character is one of the best acting jobs I have EVER seen. You will see this for yourself. Think X-Files (without the lame aliens crap) meets CSI.

No, sadly, it is not available streaming as of yet...

bummer on the streaming...that's okay, though, I'll just bump back up to the 6-at-a-time to make room lol. I'll put Friday Night Lights on hold and go with Mad Men and Fringe for now then...good call! :)

bummer on the streaming...that's okay, though, I'll just bump back up to the 6-at-a-time to make room lol. I'll put Friday Night Lights on hold and go with Mad Men and Fringe for now then...good call! :)

you will NOT be sorry. This show is freaking awesome! And Anna Torv is kind of easy on the eyes too. And the scary black dude from LOST is a major character in it...

I just couldn't get into the show. The first season bored me... :(