Halliburton And BP Knew

It's funny how liberals get their panties in a wad about this while simultaneously ignoring that the Obama administration actually, literally and truthfully gave this particular rig a safety award.

But hey, everyone! Halliburton!!! GOP ruling the house next year! Be afraid! Be very afraid!

You guys are pretty f-ed up. If BP and Haliburton had data saying the slurry might fail and then used it anyway, they are completely at fault.

This should have little to do with partisan politics, but what else is new?

unfortunately this mindset has overtaken the populace. it was previously limited mostly to pols. right and wrong are relative to risks and reward. if you can get away with it (or even if you can't but the profits are likely to be greater than the fines) then it's ok even if it's immoral and/or unethical.

You guys are pretty f-ed up. If BP and Haliburton had data saying the slurry might fail and then used it anyway, they are completely at fault.

This should have little to do with partisan politics, but what else is new?

They also had data that it might not fail.

Proper risk management practices would be to throw the slurry out and use a different formulation anyway, because of the "might fail" data...but I'd bet a large sum of money that the situation is neither as unambiguous nor as irresponsible as is being reported.

the market seems unconcerned...haliburton is flat and was even up a fraction a couple minutes ago. wonder what the street knows that we don't. i still don't understand how oil and gas prices stayed relatively flat through all of this..millions of gallons of oil lost, a huge clean up liability and the halting of new off shore drilling and it had no significant influence on price? seems more than a little suspicious.

They also had data that it might not fail.

Proper risk management practices would be to throw the slurry out and use a different formulation anyway, because of the "might fail" data...but I'd bet a large sum of money that the situation is neither as unambiguous nor as irresponsible as is being reported.

Seems like they gambled and lost on what turned out to be a very serious issue. Time to pay.

It's funny how liberals get their panties in a wad about this while simultaneously ignoring that the Obama administration actually, literally and truthfully gave this particular rig a safety award.

But hey, everyone! Halliburton!!! GOP ruling the house next year! Be afraid! Be very afraid!

Didn't Halliburton know the cement was unstable? And yes, I will be afraid. :D

the market seems unconcerned...haliburton is flat and was even up a fraction a couple minutes ago. wonder what the street knows that we don't. i still don't understand how oil and gas prices stayed relatively flat through all of this..millions of gallons of oil lost, a huge clean up liability and the halting of new off shore drilling and it had no significant influence on price? seems more than a little suspicious.

I use to trade and hedge oil futures for clients, and losing millions of barrels of oil doesn't impact the markets in a significant manner. Oil Demand is near 85 million barrels a DAY, so even if you lose 10 million it isn't seen as a huge deal. The real impact is the moratorium, and the stricter regulations on all sea oil drilling. The short-term impact isn't that great, but once you begin to go out a year or more on the oil futures contracts then you will see a larger disparity between near and longer-dated crude contracts/prices. Of course not all of this is due to the moratorium, some of it is anticipation of higher demand and a weaker dollar but according to my guesstimates an added 3 dollars a contract has been added because of the oil spill and it's implications on future drilling and regulations. The December 2013 Crude contract is currently trading at 88.5

In regards to Haliburton stock being flat, actually it's not, when the news broke out the price was at 34, it now stand at 32 which is close to a seven percent drop. Considering that its market cap is at $29 Billion, over $2 Billion has been wiped out within 20 hours.

I suppose the market will wait until they get more clarity on their future liabilities. So actually, it's not suspicious when you put the facts together and combine it with some logic.

Edited by Magox

Seems like they gambled and lost on what turned out to be a very serious issue. Time to pay.

Maybe, maybe not. All I know is what the news reports portray, not what actually happened. Remember the O'Donnell/First Amendment story you posted from AP that was suddenly completely different when it was rewritten - same event, completely different story?

Off the top of my head, I can think of three ways this may have happened that don't involve culpability on anyone's part (I can think of ways parties acted responsibly, and the accident still happened. I heard one story that they kept remixing and testing the cement until they got a positive test - it's hardly irresponsible to keep reformulating a bad mix until you get evidence it's a good one). Given time, I could probably come up with a half-dozen more.

Of corse, I can also come up with plenty of scenarios where someone down the line just said "!@#$ it. Let's do it."

Of corse, I can also come up with plenty of scenarios where someone down the line just said "!@#$ it. Let's do it."

You mean the Obama image of guys in top hats toasting each other with Dom Perignon over an echoing chorus of "Muahahahaha."

You mean the Obama image of guys in top hats toasting each other with Dom Perignon over an echoing chorus of "Muahahahaha."

I always thought it would be more like a bunch of schmoes standing around dressed in robes, drinking beer, and worshipping Homer Simpson, myself...

"Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?

Who keeps the Martians under wraps?

We do! We do!"

Edited by DC Tom

I always thought it would be more like a bunch of schmoes standing around dressed in robes, drinking beer, and worshipping Homer Simpson, myself...

"Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?

Who keeps the Martians under wraps?

We do! We do!"

And who was the leader of the Stonecutters? Captain Picard. Now he's head of the CIA in Langley Falls