Republicans trying to move in the right direction

Peace

I love the idea of the headline for these stories: "100B in spending cuts." I got psyched to see that. But asshats that they are, it's a combined package of tax cuts and spending cuts that in total equals 100B.

Come on Repubilcans, to paraphrase the esteemed Sarah Palin, "Man the [F] up." How about you just do a plain old 100B spending cut?

In any event, the idea is a baby step in the right direction and could sway me to vote for the Republican running for Senate in PA, who I dislike immensely.

Republican leaders, ever more confident of their chances of winning control of the House and possibly even the Senate, have begun plotting a 2011 agenda topped by a push for more than $100 billion in spending cuts, tax reductions and attempts to undo key parts of President Barack Obama's health care and financial regulation laws.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10/28/gop-poised-big-gains-plan-b-cuts/

Edited by Peace

I love the idea of the headline for these stories: "100B in spending cuts." I got psyched to see that. But asshats that they are, it's a combined package of tax cuts and spending cuts that in total equals 100B.

Come on Repubilcans, to paraphrase the esteemed Sarah Palin, "Man the [F] up." How about you just do a plain old 100B spending cut?

In any event, the idea is a baby step in the right direction and could sway me to vote for the Republican running for Senate in PA, who I dislike immensely.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/10/28/gop-poised-big-gains-plan-b-cuts/

You misinterpreted the article.

It is 100B in spending cuts, COUPLED with tax cuts and blocking the health insurance law. Reread it again.

Most agree a marquee item on a new GOP majority's agenda would be an aggressive package of spending cuts, on the order of $100 billion or more, that could also be paired with steps to block implementation of key parts of Obama's health care law and new financial regulations.

Even the part that you quoted

Republican leaders, ever more confident of their chances of winning control of the House and possibly even the Senate, have begun plotting a 2011 agenda topped by a push for more than $100 billion in spending cuts, tax reductions and attempts to undo key parts of President Barack Obama's health care and financial regulation laws.

doesn't infer "combined package of tax cuts and spending cuts that in total equals 100B." What that quoted part is saying is that they will attempt to cut $100 Billion along with tax reductions and blocking parts of the health insurance law. And anyway, tax reductions usually increase the deficit they don't lower them.

In any case, prepare yourselves for the crying and the emotional anecdotes about "(insert 30ish woman here, with 2nd grader) who is now suffering because Republicans cut (insert program here)".

Oh and don't forget about the "school teachers and fireman" that will all be out of a job, since their jobs aren't "shovel ready".

doesn't infer "combined package of tax cuts and spending cuts that in total equals 100B." What that quoted part is saying is that they will attempt to cut $100 Billion along with tax reductions and blocking parts of the health insurance law. And anyway, tax reductions usually increase the deficit they don't lower them.

You're right--I read that as "100B in spending cuts and tax reductions." And I get that the tax reductions increase the deficit (usually). I am NOT happy about that.

Still, at least 100B in spending cuts is a step.

You're right--I read that as "100B in spending cuts and tax reductions." And I get that the tax reductions increase the deficit (usually). I am NOT happy about that.

Still, at least 100B in spending cuts is a step.

It is a step, however I haven't heard specifics (which I can't blame them for from a political POV considering elections are right around the corner). It will be interesting to see how they implement them.

However, I am highly skeptical that McConnell or Boehner will be able to make the meaningful cuts that will be necessary to get our fiscal house in order. Even "conservatives" don't want their entitlement benefits to be cut. And we know it isn't politically palpable to not only touch Medicare and S.S but also to make cuts in the Education department or defense. We are too divided this country, both parties are being run from the outer edges, and we need compromise.

Conservatives from the far right and libs from the far left aren't in any mood of "compromising", the new wave of conservatives came in to do a job and we know that the bluedogs are becoming extinct because the progressives are in charge. This deficit commission won't produce any results, my guess is that we will see gridlock for the next couple years and nothing substantive will occur.