Limewire forced to shut down

Rob's House

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303341904575577192244735152.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

I got the message on the Limewire server last night. I was really bummed for about 3 minutes. Then I downloaded utorrent and I was back in business.

I love the people who say pirating is theft. Theft is the removal of an object or item or subject. Piracy is the copying of such object or item or subject without actually achieving phyiscal possession of it.

Also, why is YouTube allowed to stream everything? Why doesn't the RIAA and MPAA go after them? It'd be so incredibly easy. It's all a big work.

I love the people who say pirating is theft. Theft is the removal of an object or item or subject. Piracy is the copying of such object or item or subject without actually achieving phyiscal possession of it.

Also, why is YouTube allowed to stream everything? Why doesn't the RIAA and MPAA go after them? It'd be so incredibly easy. It's all a big work.

Uh.... they do go after them.

Now you did it -- you're going to get attacked for that comment, even though you're 100% correct. :)

I don't see it as being any different from recording a movie on your VCR.

I don't see it as being any different from recording a movie on your VCR.

Same as a DVR. I am surprised that you are allowed to fast forward through commercials on recorded shows on your DVR. If you use the "Start Over" feature that most companies have, you cannot fast forward through anything, but you can rewind.. why it is not the same for recorded shows is beyond me.

Uh.... they do go after them.

In late '08 the MPAA announced it will stop policing YouTube. I do not know how public the statement was but I think it was CNET that had it posted. Howard Stern speaks of it often, saying that in order to remove his material he has to send a legal letter via mail for each infraction. He has said the process is tedious and expensive. He has also said it has forced Sirius to create a "channel" so they could at least get some revenue from it.

YouTube is ten times worse then the cable networks. Neither create any material and for the most part spend a fraction to broadcast what it takes to create the content they provide.

In late '08 the MPAA announced it will stop policing YouTube. I do not know how public the statement was but I think it was CNET that had it posted. Howard Stern speaks of it often, saying that in order to remove his material he has to send a legal letter via mail for each infraction. He has said the process is tedious and expensive. He has also said it has forced Sirius to create a "channel" so they could at least get some revenue from it.

YouTube is ten times worse then the cable networks. Neither create any material and for the most part spend a fraction to broadcast what it takes to create the content they provide.

The MPAA might have stopped "officially" as a representative of it's members, but the individual members still do (and often) send DMCA notices to Youtube for takedowns.