Fitz vs. Thigpen

There's been a lot of talk around Gailey's system and his ability to turn mediocre QB's into good players, harkening back to the job he did with Tyler Thigpen. Just some food for thought here, take a look at Thigpen's numbers under Gailey in '08:

Tyler Thigpen

Completion: 54.8%

Yards: 2608

YPA: 6.2

TD: 18

INT: 12

Rating: 76.0

Now compare them to what Fitz has done this year under Gailey:

Completion: 63.3%

Yards: 969

YPA: 7.6

TD: 11

INT: 4

Rating: 102.0

Do I think Gailey helped Thigpen? Yes. Do I think Gailey is helping Fitz? Yes. But, I also think some are writing off Fitz' performance as "the same thing he did with Thigpen" when clearly Fitz is playing several levels above anything Gailey got out of Thigpen. Just something to gnaw on...

Fitz has blossomed under Gailey, but I still have that annoying feeling he will return to noodle arm of years past. I would be okay with keeping him, if Gailey addressed the defense next year. We have none and it's readiliy apparent we would have won the past two games, perhaps three if we had the ability to stop the run and rush the passer.

Keep Fitz for another year and build a brick wall of a defense. Then Fitz's mediocrity wouldn't be so noticable if we stopped the other guys.

Fitz has blossomed under Gailey, but I still have that annoying feeling he will return to noodle arm of years past. I would be okay with keeping him, if Gailey addressed the defense next year. We have none and it's readiliy apparent we would have won the past two games, perhaps three if we had the ability to stop the run and rush the passer.

Keep Fitz for another year and build a brick wall of a defense. Then Fitz's mediocrity wouldn't be so noticable if we stopped the other guys.

I am worried as well that Fitzmagic is too good to be true. Maybe just because I'm a Bills fan, but I am always looking to be disappointed.

You have to give credit to both. Fitz is a tough little guy with so-so accuracy but a big heart and guts. But he had all those attributes last year and never produced like this. Gailey is getting the most he can out of Fitz by letting the man play his game. Fitzy is smart and reads defenses really well. Chan lets him do that and lets him run the offense. That's great coaching. Fitz doesn't have the big arm but he's got a big brain and it's a great coach who allows him to use his strengths. So both guys get kudos.

I haven't noticed "Fitz's mediocrity" this season even though we're not stopping the other guys.