Aaron Maybin is playing out of position

Got_Wood

hahaha, ohhh, another "Maybin should be playing X" thread. I wish the people who said his skills would "shine" when we went to a 3-4 would man up on the Maybin front. Again, no accountability on this board at all. He is a bust. Many of us knew it before he was drafted. The question is, how did the front office, people that are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, sometimes millions of dollars, not know what we knew??

He's only 22 years old. I think it would be a bad move to give up on this guy after such a short time. Now, I have no idea why the Bills chose to draft a developmental player last year when we needed an NFL ready guy like Orakpo or Oher. But this is where things stand.

It should be the Bills top priority to develop Maybin as an NFL player and find a place on the field for this guy. Bring in Bruce Smith, Daryl Talley, and the Biscuit and beat some sense into the kid. Whatever it takes. The Bills need to treat big first round investments as they should be treated... a BIG investment. Don't just let your top pick waste away on the bench and give up on him.

Edited by Got_Wood

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's only 22 years old. I think it would be a bad move to give up on this guy after such a short time. Now, I have no idea why the Bills chose to draft a developmental player last year when we needed an NFL ready guy like Orakpo or Oher. But this is where things stand.

It should be the Bills top priority to develop Maybin as an NFL player and find a place on the field for this guy. Bring in Bruce Smith, Daryl Talley, and the Biscuit and beat some sense into the kid. Whatever it takes. The Bills need to treat big first round investments as they should be treated... a BIG investment. Don't just let your top pick waste away on the bench and give up on him.

Wrong. The Bills top priority should be winning the Super Bowl and building a football team to accomplish that task. That means replacing anyone and everyone that can't contribute to that mission with players that can. Including Maybin.

You are actually advocating that and suggesting it is the primary mission of the Bills to behave as a farm team and develop young kids that can't play the game into more viable players in their first contract so that they may be able to help some other NFL team when they hit free agency.

That's ridiculous. Maybin can learn to play football in the CFL, UFL, AFL, or at someone else's expense.

Wrong. The Bills top priority should be winning the Super Bowl and building a football team to accomplish that task. That means replacing anyone and everyone that can't contribute to that mission with players that can. Including Maybin.

You are actually advocating that and suggesting it is the primary mission of the Bills to behave as a farm team and develop young kids that can't play the game into more viable players in their first contract so that they may be able to help some other NFL team when they hit free agency.

That's ridiculous. Maybin can learn to play football in the CFL, UFL, AFL, or at someone else's expense.

You're not getting the point then. We spent $17 million on this kid. You don't just give away that much money and let a player walk. You treat the player like an investment.

We can't treat this team as if it's some high school football club and just cut any player that doesn't perform. This franchise is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and it needs to be treated that way. You develop your top investments, and bring in quality coaches to get the job done.

You're not getting the point then. We spent $17 million on this kid. You don't just give away that much money and let a player walk. You treat the player like an investment.

We can't treat this team as if it's some high school football club and just cut any player that doesn't perform. This franchise is worth hundreds of millions of dollars, and it needs to be treated that way. You develop your top investments, and bring in quality coaches to get the job done.

Ever hear the phrase "don't throw good money after bad"? Sometimes investments go bust.

It's time for the Bills to use a stop-loss on Maybin.

Edited by KD in CT

Oh, I got the point.

I think you fail to understand that there have been two coaching staffs that have tried to develop Aaron Maybin and both of those staffs concluded that he sucks.

So your advocating dropping a 1st rd pick that was deemed 1st round worthy by all analysts (yes, of course they can be wrong) and replacing him with players who "can" contribute. I'm assuming you mean adding guys via FA which makes no sense because a) our GM has already ruled out that approach and b) any FAs that do happen to be signed during this rebuilding process are stop gaps at best.

Do you want Maybin who in theory has potential and is still owed lots of money, or do you want more Akin Ayodele and Reggie Torbors?

It's easy to spend other people's money, but no owner will cut lose a big investment in just two years cause he sucks. What's the point, you can pay him his guaranteed 16mil over two years, a bitter pill indeed, or take a gamble and pay it over three years and hope he turns into something useful.

I'm down on Maybin just like the next guy but to assume we'll get anything better in the short-term w/ our drafting history and no-free agency approach is not sound thinking.

It's safe to say the Bills aren't contending for a Super Bowl in 2010---- there are a number of young raw and unproven players in the front 7 on this roster that could use some development time. It's reasonable that the coaching staff use the rest of the year to determine whether or not Maybin and others (Moats, Coleman, Troup, Carrington) can contribute in the NFL. I'm not optimistic that it happens in the case of Mayhem, but the OP isn't completely off base in speculating that there may be a shred of a chance the light goes on for him. To this point, Aaron Maybin has been useless--- to that we all agree. In all likelihood, that's how his NFL career will end. But there are still a few more weeks this season to be absolutely 100% certain.

Edited by Punch

So your advocating dropping a 1st rd pick that was deemed 1st round worthy by all analysts (yes, of course they can be wrong) and replacing him with players who "can" contribute. I'm assuming you mean adding guys via FA which makes no sense because a) our GM has already ruled out that approach and b) any FAs that do happen to be signed during this rebuilding process are stop gaps at best.

Do you want Maybin who in theory has potential and is still owed lots of money, or do you want more Akin Ayodele and Reggie Torbors?

It's easy to spend other people's money, but no owner will cut lose a big investment in just two years cause he sucks. What's the point, you can pay him his guaranteed 16mil over two years, a bitter pill indeed, or take a gamble and pay it over three years and hope he turns into something useful.

I'm down on Maybin just like the next guy but to assume we'll get anything better in the short-term w/ our drafting history and no-free agency approach is not sound thinking.

Thank you. I agree with you completely.

Hi there, fellows. Meet Ken and Aaron.

Ken, Aaron, l'd like you to meet...

Mohammet...

Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton, Erik Flowers, Corey Moore.

Grab a seat and make yourselves at home.

Don't be shy about helping yourselves

to punch and cookies.

CLASSIC!!!! :worthy:

The shocking thing about Maybin is not that he is basically a 28-inch waist, skinny, DE or OLB (which is laughable at his size). To me it's his complete lack of football instincts. I mean c'mon, this dude can't even get on the field as a special teams ace?!? He has no technique to get to the QB, he has no ability to shed blockers or use brute strength to get through the pack, he has no clue how to sell out on special team and take proper angles to ball carriers. The guy is literally like a guy off the streets trying to play in the NFL. I'd cut him loose. HE's not going to be an impact player in this league, ever.

Edited by zow2

The shocking thing about Maybin is not that he is basically a 28-inch waist, skinny, DE or OLB (which is laughable at his size). To me it's his complete lack of football instincts. I mean c'mon, this dude can't even get on the field as a special teams ace?!? He has no technique to get to the QB, he has no ability to shed blockers or use brute strength to get through the pack, he has no clue how to sell out on special team and take proper angles to ball carriers. The guy is literally like a guy off the streets trying to play in the NFL. I'd cut him loose. HE's not going to be an impact player in this league, ever.

Maybin played at 230 pounds in college. It's possible that any additional weight he's tried to gain has made him lose a step. This is why I think he may be useful as a linebacker in the 4-3. He showed great ability to attack the football at Penn State. You don't just lose those instincts when you hit the pros. Yes, the game is faster. But he had a nose for the ball then, why not now?

In his last year at Penn State, this is what he did:

49 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and even breaking up 3 passes in coverage

That shows his football instincts and nose for the ball. Put him at LB and see what he can do. I GUARANTEE he would be better than Ayodele or Torbor.

Maybin played at 230 pounds in college. It's possible that any additional weight he's tried to gain has made him lose a step. This is why I think he may be useful as a linebacker in the 4-3. He showed great ability to attack the football at Penn State. You don't just lose those instincts when you hit the pros. Yes, the game is faster. But he had a nose for the ball then, why not now?

In his last year at Penn State, this is what he did:

49 tackles, 20 tackles for loss, 12 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, and even breaking up 3 passes in coverage

That shows his football instincts and nose for the ball. Put him at LB and see what he can do. I GUARANTEE he would be better than Ayodele or Torbor.

It is a fine line between hope and folly, except in the Maybin situation. This is what he has done this year- 3 tackles, 2 assists. In his career he has ZERO sacks. He probably was a hell of a high school football player too. That is fine and dandy. But this is the NFL. Put up or shut Aaron

It is a fine line between hope and folly, except in the Maybin situation. This is what he has done this year- 3 tackles, 2 assists. In his career he has ZERO sacks. He probably was a hell of a high school football player too. That is fine and dandy. But this is the NFL. Put up or shut Aaron

I haven't heard him talk much, other than admitting he needs to get better. Regurgitating the zero sack thing is a little passe by now, too. Once again, it makes financial and roster sense to give him year three. If he shows nothing by then, then you get to say your good-byes.