Rookie wage scale in place for 2011 draft

Estro

A question for those following the CBA ordeals closer than I am. Is it possible that part of the compromise to have a season in 2011 is to have a rookie wage scale in place for the 2011 draft? The reason I ask is if the Bills happen to land the #1 or even the #2 pick it becomes a lot more attractive for a team to move up without being on the hook for boatloads of money. If the Bills don't absolutely covet a player and another team does we could come away with multiple high picks, which would be a great opportunity to start rebuilding our defense. The more the Bills lose the more we should be rooting for a rookie wage scale for the 2011 draft.

A question for those following the CBA ordeals closer than I am. Is it possible that part of the compromise to have a season in 2011 is to have a rookie wage scale in place for the 2011 draft? The reason I ask is if the Bills happen to land the #1 or even the #2 pick it becomes a lot more attractive for a team to move up without being on the hook for boatloads of money. If the Bills don't absolutely covet a player and another team does we could come away with multiple high picks, which would be a great opportunity to start rebuilding our defense. The more the Bills lose the more we should be rooting for a rookie wage scale for the 2011 draft.

Frankly, I haven't heard much at all about a change in rookie pay scales except speculation here and there.

I do agree that if there was one in place that limited (reduced) what rookies could get, it would definitely make the top choices in the draft more valuable in terms of trade-down opportunities, etc. Alas, I suspect there must be a zillion agents willing to spend considerable sums to lobby against any "Rookie Cap".

Has anyone heard anything from the NFLPA regarding their position on rookie caps?

Misleading thread title.

Anyways, I haven't heard anything definite about it. The owners apparently want it in place by 2012, and the players association are -very- against it. Which I find odd because its only good for the unproven rookies, rather than the veterans who would benefit from it. Why do the rookies have more of a say in it?

A rookie pay scale could be one of the best things to happen to the Bills if we get a top 3 pick this coming draft. Ralph would be much more willing to pay the high draft pick, and on the flip side it would be much easier to trade down for additional picks. Would give us more options.

Misleading thread title.

Anyways, I haven't heard anything definite about it. The owners apparently want it in place by 2012, and the players association are -very- against it. Which I find odd because its only good for the unproven rookies, rather than the veterans who would benefit from it. Why do the rookies have more of a say in it?

A rookie pay scale could be one of the best things to happen to the Bills if we get a top 3 pick this coming draft. Ralph would be much more willing to pay the high draft pick, and on the flip side it would be much easier to trade down for additional picks. Would give us more options.

My understanding is that the Union is actually for it but they want to keep the % split they recieve now, meaning they don't want the owners to get any savings from a rookie salary cap.