Gailey's final message to Maybin

gobills28

He gets crapped on quite a bit, but it wasn't like he was a total reach at 11th overall. He would have gone in the first round for sure if the Bills didn't take him, which tells you that there is something there. His problem is the same problem the Bills have had for years (the biggest organizational problem in fact) and the reason why they have sucked for so long: PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

There's no way that Kelsay should be playing ahead of him only because I can't see anyone looking as putrid as he has this year. I've never seen someone so utterly inept and I've been watching football for a while. I think Ralph Wilson could do a better job at OLB than Kelsay. Give Maybin some playing time and see what he can do. Just let him run wild out there and see if something sticks. You're 0-6 and going nowhere. The alternative is essentially playing 10 on 11 with the 6m dollar man playing like he shat his pants on every play.

There is a way. As bad as Kelsay is, and he is terrible, he is actually BETTER than the zero trick pony Maybin.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read Chan's comments, he specifically mentions special teams as where he also needs to impove. Makes me wonder if Maybin has an attitude that as a #1 pick, he's too good for ST's, he doesn't need to play there??

Its just confounding... even if he doesn't have good football sense, he should be at least a Special Teams wrecking machine. A young fast linebacker fits that profile to a tee. Obviously that's not why you draft someone at #11, but it utterly amazes me that he can't at least do that for the team.

Can anyone explain without all the vitriol toward Maybin exactly why he's so bad? On paper this switch to a 3-4 defense should have suited him perfectly. I haven't watched many Bills games this year and don't live in the area to attend camp/preseason/practices

-- At 250lb (or even a bit lighter) I get that he's not a good DE, but he should be the right size for LB

-- He's fast,... he's got to be faster than Chris Kelsay, who's starting

-- He went to Penn State, he's got to be able to tackle

-- As stated above, he seems to have an attitude where he wants to excel

-- If he's too weak, thats a fixable condition given that we've hired 2 hardcore Strength Coaches in the offseason

... so what specifically is the disconnect with this guy??

Specifically, he is poor in coverage (so is Kelsey), does not play the run well (Kelsey does, shows us how much we miss Shoebel) and has only a few moves to get around LTs which they aren't falling for. All they need to do is watch game tape of him for 5 minutes to shut him down. He also is out of position and doesn't know where to be on the football field - either he just hasn't played enough football or isn't smart enough to figure it out.

There was once this guy named Corey Moore........

How soon people forget. And unlike Maybin, Corey Moore had a full and dominating college career. And he was drafted where high-risk "projects" should be drafted -- in the 3d round, not at #11 in lieu of a franchise LT.

:wallbash:

He gets crapped on quite a bit, but it wasn't like he was a total reach at 11th overall. He would have gone in the first round for sure if the Bills didn't take him, which tells you that there is something there. His problem is the same problem the Bills have had for years (the biggest organizational problem in fact) and the reason why they have sucked for so long: PLAYER DEVELOPMENT

There's no way that Kelsay should be playing ahead of him only because I can't see anyone looking as putrid as he has this year. I've never seen someone so utterly inept and I've been watching football for a while. I think Ralph Wilson could do a better job at OLB than Kelsay. Give Maybin some playing time and see what he can do. Just let him run wild out there and see if something sticks. You're 0-6 and going nowhere. The alternative is essentially playing 10 on 11 with the 6m dollar man playing like he shat his pants on every play.

Kelsay actually had a good game against Baltimore - dude made plays at key moments going against Oher. He looked terrible at 3-4 OLB trying to run downfield and cover TEs, Flankers and RBs, but since we moved back to 4-3, he has been solid.

Kelsay actually had a good game against Baltimore - dude made plays at key moments going against Oher. He looked terrible at 3-4 OLB trying to run downfield and cover TEs, Flankers and RBs, but since we moved back to 4-3, he has been solid.

He's always been solid when asked to do things he can do...people forget that b/c he makes what is in actuality not an enormous amount of money (relatively speaking of course)....

Edited by dayman

Perhaps Antonio Coleman and Arthur Moats deserve playing time. Why isn't that part of this discussion?

Maybe it's not on page 3 of the discussion but they've already been brought up earlier in the thread.

But how much of that is... he can't get on the field. I mean the guys not even dressing now. How's he supposed to learn the system and get that feeling for the game if he's sitting on the bench. I'm sure there's more to it that just that. But, it's kinda like how Steve Johnson was a bad WR last year sitting on the bench and now after 6 games, he's looking better and better. Sometimes, players take longer to get that feel for the game.

Steve Johnson was NEVER a bad WR, he just never got the chance from the BAD coach that was Dick Jauron... Johnson's talent was evident from the start, but for some reason Jauron kept him on the bench. I said it from the start that Johnson would be a better WR than Hardy... That's just how sad out player evaluations and coaching is... :(

Perhaps Antonio Coleman and Arthur Moats deserve playing time. Why isn't that part of this discussion?

bingo. This team has nothing to lose. Always be wary of an opponent with nothing to lose- unless that opponent is the Bills. Look at how Cleveland played New Orleans. We should be playing for the future now. What kids can play? Get them reps. Take chances. Open audition for all. Play this past draft class as much as you can. And one bonus player for next year is Marcus Easley. It sounds like he was having a great camp. And when we add him to the mix next year that is like a bonus pick.

bingo. This team has nothing to lose. Always be wary of an opponent with nothing to lose- unless that opponent is the Bills. Look at how Cleveland played New Orleans. We should be playing for the future now. What kids can play? Get them reps. Take chances. Open audition for all. Play this past draft class as much as you can. And one bonus player for next year is Marcus Easley. It sounds like he was having a great camp. And when we add him to the mix next year that is like a bonus pick.

Moats and Coleman have already been mentioned as deserving reps--- for the record, Moats and Maybin are both 22, having been born one month apart, and Coleman is 24. Maybin is a kid. Moats certainly showed more against Baltimore than Maybin has shown in his entire career combined--- but he is still one of the kids. That is literally all he has going for him at this point, and why he was the focus of this thread.

Edited by Punch

I think Maybin is a One Year Wonder in the Weak Big 10! If you want great Defense go to the SEC !

Hopefully the kid gets the wake-up call ! College is over, become a Professional or like Eric wood said in Camp give some of that Money back !

Maybe if he got a real Haircut and didn't look like an idiot he might play better as well !

Moats and Coleman have already been mentioned as deserving reps--- for the record, Moats and Maybin are both 22, having been born one month apart, and Coleman is 24. Maybin is a kid. Moats certainly showed more against Baltimore than Maybin has shown in his entire career combined--- but he is still one of the kids. That is literally all he has going for him at this point, and why he was the focus of this thread.

Agreed. If Maybin has any potential in him, it may be that he's not done growing (physically and mentally). Gailey is trying to press Maybin's buttons to see if he is willing or capable of getting mad and standing up for himself. If not then he's a lost cause in Buffalo. We can't waste a roster spot waiting for him to show up. But I would hate to cut him and then the light comes on in his pointy head and he develops into a good player elsewhere.

PTR

I think Maybin is a One Year Wonder in the Weak Big 10! If you want great Defense go to the SEC !

Hopefully the kid gets the wake-up call ! College is over, become a Professional or like Eric wood said in Camp give some of that Money back !

Maybe if he got a real Haircut and didn't look like an idiot he might play better as well !

Maybe if his myspace page got more hits he might turn into a football player. I remember him bragging he was putting on 10 pounds of muscle in a couple weeks. As they say- talk is cheap. Maybin right now belongs in all time Bill's draft bust's such as Walt Patulski, Mike Williams, and Eric Flowers. And the fact he swindled us for $20 million just might make him worst Bills pick ever. How a team can blow so many first round picks is amazing. Seriously could a monkey picking out of a hat do any worse?